Favorite VH Album

5150 - F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD
    Last Online

02.14.14 @ 03:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Eventide Pitchfactor Settings!

hey guys, I have seen a lot of threads here about the PF.. but I cant seem to find any good settings for a Balance/FUCK ERA tones for it.. if anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it!!! Thanks in advance!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

07.26.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Where in the signal chain do you have the pitchfactor? You likely won't get what your looking for by putting the pedal in the effects loop. The sound that Ed got back then was by using tapping into the speaker outs to get a line level signal to feed his effects that would then be fed into solid state power amps and sent to left and right cabinets, while his dry signal was straight into the center cabinet... otherwise known as a wet/dry/wet setup

Anyway, these are the settings:
    set 100% wet, micropitchshift +9 Left/ -9 Right, 250ms Delay L/ 500ms Delay R,

Listen to this example (using a Soldano SLO) which is what Ed used on FUCK

Favorite VH Album

5150 - F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im getting it delivered tomorrow.. I have a 5150 3 50w.. With 1/12 cab.. Small amp.. So no effects loop? Where should i plug it in? In a rookie with this sorry and thanks

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

07.26.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Don't sweat it. You can run it in the loop, you just might not get "that" sound from Balance/FUCK. A wet/dry/wet setup is very expensive (you need a load box with line out and direct through, 2 power amps and 3 cabinets).... definitely not for home jamming. Run it in the loop and use the settings in my above post and you will get as close as you can. Post some recordings so we can see how it sounds.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

07.26.17 @ 06:26 AM
    Liked 390 Times in 173 Posts

I was thinking of grabbing one if these to some day. I also love the Balance sound the most. Right now I am using a 50W 5150III amp with 2X12 cab. I always loved that wet, dry wet sound Ed had then. I guess it's hard to achieve with basic gear though huh?

Rob

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 08:35 PM
    Liked 1,303 Times in 767 Posts

Ideally, it sounds best out of amps loop, and run in a recording setup.
    I get the W-D-W sound by splitting it and with a stereo lexicon (or any other good stereo delay) with some pong delay, and some hall 'verb, patched after it into the board, or whatever DAW you're using's effects return.
    That way, you can run your mic'd dry tone center, and have the wet left and right blended perfectly. A good example tune I use to get delay repeats right is Seventh seal, because it's easy to pick out from the rest. The guitar is real open in the tune, and you can here the repeats clearly in the palm muted lines. It'll help get you there At least for a baseline, and for Balance tone, starting with the delay repeats and adding the harmonizer settings are much easier to dial in after the delay is dialed in..At least for this album.
    You can do ok in an amps loop though, but you have to play with it a bit more to get it real close. Most people focus exclusively on the Harmonizer tone...but on Balance, the delay is almost as important to get the tone.
    Obviously, the stereo features of the PF are not gonna happen through the amp, so you've got to set it to where it sounds almost chorusy with the feedback (X-Y) knobs. The baseline I use for a lot of Sammy era Eddie Harmonizer tones is the H910-949 Micro, (w. or without Modern depending on your rig) pitch +9, and -9 respectively, and take it from there.
    My mix setting is around 48, but you may choose more or less as I also have my consoles effects return which most definately has a different saturation level than an amp is going to have.
    Just play around with it guys. I just got a new camera last weekend, and have been figuring it out. If I get a chance, I'll try to do a clip, and show the settings. It may help.
    Last edited by we die young; 09.06.13 at 05:17 AM.

Favorite VH Album

5150 - F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was gonna pm you now, i just bought a DD3 locally abd waiting for the PF in about an hour.. I put the PF on the effects loop alone or with the DD3? After or before?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Hey! You put them in the loop together, and the PF should be first in the chain, and the dd-3 last. Not sure which songs you have in mind, but say for flanger, or phase, I usually run those through the front of the amp because they sound WAYYYY, too intense through the loop IMO for color here and there which is what Ed does too, or at least did.
    For effects chains, (especially with modulation effects) I usually always put delay last, because that's what simulates natural sounding ambient reflection of your main tone, giving you that largeness in your sound. If you we're to put it before, it might create some odd overtones with the repeats, and sound muddled or poorly out of intonation. Remember, you're running the mix fairly high for the Balance tone too which will only make it more noticeable.

Favorite VH Album

5150 - F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks bro! Cant wait to get home and try this out!!

Favorite VH Album

5150 - F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys maybe im tired or something but i dont know where to put -9 and +9.. And i dont see 500ms or 250ms anywhere on the delay knobs.. Ill give it a try tomorrow... This is killing me, sounds great but i need to dial it nicely..

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by EVH-NYC View Post
    Guys maybe im tired or something but i dont know where to put -9 and +9.. And i dont see 500ms or 250ms anywhere on the delay knobs.. Ill give it a try tomorrow... This is killing me, sounds great but i need to dial it nicely..
    Hey man. the +9, and -9 are the pitch knobs on the upper right. I don't really use the delay beyond 3 and 6 ms. respectively. I just use enough to thicken the sound, kinda like a super fast slap back, and the 3 ms. difference makes it sound a little more rounded. For actual delay, just use your DD-3. It's much easier to nail down the delay sound after the PF is set up for pitchshifting.
    another thing key to the Balance tone is the bass level and compression that Fairbairn was famous for.
    He was one of the few producers of the time who really worked EQ. A lot of producers like to dial in the guitar sound at the amp with the mic, and use as minimal amount of eq as possible. He would do that, but then he'd crank the mic gain, and run fairly high mid, but the bass, he really pushed it, but then used quite a bit of compression to level and round it off.
    So with your amp, bring your bass up a bit more than usual, , drop your treble a touch, just so you get some shimmer, but it's not bright, and use a little more mid. This will take a bit of the edge off. The Balance tone is huge and warm. without compression, you'll sound a little less "tight", but the tone should be pretty much there.
    That's a major part of the Balance sound.
    Good luck!
    JJ
    Last edited by we die young; 09.07.13 at 08:30 PM.

Last Online

07.24.17 @ 06:32 PM
    Liked 120 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Imthe1 View Post
    Where in the signal chain do you have the pitchfactor? You likely won't get what your looking for by putting the pedal in the effects loop. The sound that Ed got back then was by using tapping into the speaker outs to get a line level signal to feed his effects that would then be fed into solid state power amps and sent to left and right cabinets, while his dry signal was straight into the center cabinet... otherwise known as a wet/dry/wet setup

Anyway, these are the settings:
    set 100% wet, micropitchshift +9 Left/ -9 Right, 250ms Delay L/ 500ms Delay R,

Listen to this example (using a Soldano SLO) which is what Ed used on FUCK

Love the tone....
    Sounds Awesome....Great stuff..
    ITS 5150 TIME

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Hey man. the +9, and -9 are the pitch knobs on the upper right. I don't really use the delay beyond 3 and 6 ms. respectively. I just use enough to thicken the sound, kinda like a super fast slap back, and the 3 ms. difference makes it sound a little more rounded. For actual delay, just use your DD-3. It's much easier to nail down the delay sound after the PF is set up for pitchshifting.
    another thing key to the Balance tone is the bass level and compression that Fairbairn was famous for.
    He was one of the few producers of the time who really worked EQ. A lot of producers like to dial in the guitar sound at the amp with the mic, and use as minimal amount of eq as possible. He would do that, but then he'd crank the mic gain, and run fairly high mid, but the bass, he really pushed it, but then used quite a bit of compression to level and round it off.
    So with your amp, bring your bass up a bit more than usual, , drop your treble a touch, just so you get some shimmer, but it's not bright, and use a little more mid. This will take a bit of the edge off. The Balance tone is huge and warm. without compression, you'll sound a little less "tight", but the tone should be pretty much there.
    That's a major part of the Balance sound.
    Good luck!
    JJ
    sorry...Meant top row middle. Upper right is the delays. (Was tired when I posted) they're marked "Pitch A" and "Pitch B" You can go + or - on either one....just changes the stereo which pitch lower or higher is in which side of the stereo field.

Favorite VH Album

5150 - F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok on pitch mix it says: A10+B
    Pitch A says: A: 9C
    Pitch B says: b: -9c
    And the delays does not says mms.. It says something like: A: 1/64

Thats why in confused :/

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by EVH-NYC View Post
    Ok on pitch mix it says: A10+B
    Pitch A says: A: 9C
    Pitch B says: b: -9c
    And the delays does not says mms.. It says something like: A: 1/64

Thats why in confused :/
    Ok. Didn't get any time on the weekend, but if someone can't clear this up, I'll shoot a quick video tonight if I can. Like I said..Eventide have never been known for being the most user friendly products, and frankly in stompbox form, it can be even more challenging with the buttons and knobs being multi function. I think where you are at is something to do with the "micro" setting possibly not being engaged, but don't worry. I'll show you the all the settings as they relate to the main selection function.