Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:00 AM
    Liked 11,721 Times in 6,495 Posts

Premium Member

Default MTLEY CRE's NIKKI SIXX Encourages Fans To Purchase Full Albums Instead Of Singles

MTLEY CRE's NIKKI SIXX Encourages Fans To Purchase Full Albums Instead Of Singles

September 01, 2013

MTLEY CRE bassist Nikki Sixx has commented on the growing trend by music consumers of purchasing and downloading individual songs through digital outlets rather than experiencing full-length albums as they were intended to be heard by the artists that created them.

In a post on his Facebook page, Sixx wrote: "When I was scrounging through record shops as a kid, you usually (unless you just shopped for singles) bought the whole album. I always fell deeper in love with the band because 'ALL' their songs spoke to me. Of course, some jumped out at you right away while others grew on you, but you didn't skip any songs; you would listen from top to bottom over and over again.

"When I started making albums, I always believed the WHOLE album was the adventure. Of course, there is the lead single for radio but when did THAT become the whole experience?

"I talk to more and more people every day who tell me they only buy singles now. iTunes hasn't helped for that, of course.

"We have asked them many times to bundle our album as one download so fans wouldn't cherry pick the hits and miss the hidden gems, but it's not part of their business model.

"I love iTunes and buy music almost daily from it, but it still frustrates me. I just wish more people clicked 'BUY ALBUM.' Maybe I am old-fashioned in how I believe music should be listened to, but I refuse to ever buy just a band's single. I always buy the WHOLE album. I encourage you to do the same.

"Technology may have changed, but the fact that a band makes a WHOLE album for you hasn't. Dig deep and I promise you, you will fall deeper in love with the artist than you ever could only listening to one song."

In a 2011 interview with RollingStone.com, MTLEY CRE drummer Tommy Lee spoke about not wanting to make albums anymore. He said: "As far as making new music, I'm sure we will. There's nothing official laid out yet. What I meant was just making records to make records doesn't seem like that's got much of a point anymore, when people don't buy records, they buy singles. Why not make more singles more often than these big, long records over two-, three-, four-year spans? Give the fans more music and better music, like doing EPs. I just think that would be a way better thing. Now, making a full-length record, I think, serves a purpose, like, let's say, when [MTLEY CRE's] 'The Dirt' [movie] finally gets made. I'd say that totally warrants a full record and soundtrack album. But just to make long-playing records now, I don't know. I've lost my appetite for it, and if you look around at the facts, so has the rest of the world."

Remember when full albums were six to eight songs? Bands used to write 20 songs and pick the best out of the bunch and that's what was made available for the fans to purchase. The cd changed all that and allowed record companies to charge double by adding the tunes that they would normally shelve. Today, 6-8 songs is an EP.

If they could get a handle on illegal downloading, I think the 6 song EP would take off. It would give the consumer a quality product to enjoy and improve consistency among the artists. -BB68
    "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnt really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

I think if I was an artist, especially a rock 'n roll artist, I'd be happy for whatever the fans buy. Sure I'd prefer 'em to buy the whole album, but if all they want is two or three songs from it, that's a start as far as I'm concerned. Sure, for some, that'll be all they ever buy, but there will be others that will take those two or three songs and fall in love with them and get interested enough to check out the rest of your catalogue. And when they do, you'd best be ready!

Too many bands have pulled bait and switch - re-recording albums, bonus tracks only available from certain countries or certain stores, releasing an album only to rerelease it a month or two later with bonus material, not making it available via all popular formats, etc.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Nowadays, it seems like it can take 2, 3 years for bands to get around to making and releasing a new album because they focus so much more on touring. If the band can put out quality content in the form of EPs with 5-6 songs on them, I'd prefer that. I think it would satisfy both ends. Bands could continue releasing content and the fans would have new music to look forward on a comparatively more regular basis.

Halestorm's debut came out in 2009, and the follow-up didn't come out until last year. The fans were getting really anxious within that time-frame, so the band put out an EP of covers, and the fans loved it.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:20 AM
    Liked 739 Times in 407 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    MTLEY CRE's NIKKI SIXX Encourages Fans To Purchase Full Albums Instead Of Singles

September 01, 2013

MTLEY CRE bassist Nikki Sixx has commented on the growing trend by music consumers of purchasing and downloading individual songs through digital outlets rather than experiencing full-length albums as they were intended to be heard by the artists that created them.

In a post on his Facebook page, Sixx wrote: "When I was scrounging through record shops as a kid, you usually (unless you just shopped for singles) bought the whole album. I always fell deeper in love with the band because 'ALL' their songs spoke to me. Of course, some jumped out at you right away while others grew on you, but you didn't skip any songs; you would listen from top to bottom over and over again.

"When I started making albums, I always believed the WHOLE album was the adventure. Of course, there is the lead single for radio but when did THAT become the whole experience?

"I talk to more and more people every day who tell me they only buy singles now. iTunes hasn't helped for that, of course.

"We have asked them many times to bundle our album as one download so fans wouldn't cherry pick the hits and miss the hidden gems, but it's not part of their business model.

"I love iTunes and buy music almost daily from it, but it still frustrates me. I just wish more people clicked 'BUY ALBUM.' Maybe I am old-fashioned in how I believe music should be listened to, but I refuse to ever buy just a band's single. I always buy the WHOLE album. I encourage you to do the same.

"Technology may have changed, but the fact that a band makes a WHOLE album for you hasn't. Dig deep and I promise you, you will fall deeper in love with the artist than you ever could only listening to one song."

In a 2011 interview with RollingStone.com, MTLEY CRE drummer Tommy Lee spoke about not wanting to make albums anymore. He said: "As far as making new music, I'm sure we will. There's nothing official laid out yet. What I meant was just making records to make records doesn't seem like that's got much of a point anymore, when people don't buy records, they buy singles. Why not make more singles more often than these big, long records over two-, three-, four-year spans? Give the fans more music and better music, like doing EPs. I just think that would be a way better thing. Now, making a full-length record, I think, serves a purpose, like, let's say, when [MTLEY CRE's] 'The Dirt' [movie] finally gets made. I'd say that totally warrants a full record and soundtrack album. But just to make long-playing records now, I don't know. I've lost my appetite for it, and if you look around at the facts, so has the rest of the world."

A couple of things...make an album that's worth buying - and I'll gladly buy the whole thing. Consumers likely would as well...Adele.

The era of making a CD / album w/ 2-3 'good' tunes filled with 6-7 filler titles has prompted the iTunes revolution. For me, the straw really was Lenny Kravitz. The guy makes 1 or 2 KILLER tunes - and the rest of his CD sucks. Van Halen, quality stuff, Crue (up to SOLA) was usually good for a CD of greatness. Foo's, Metallica, STP, Big Wreck, etc - my favorite bands all tend to release GREAT CD's - with maybe one or two filler tunes.

In the absence of making a CD of great music - sure, why not release singles that kick ass. Then - in a couple of years, release a CD of that music, with some back tracks (live / remastered / whatever).

It seems pretty simple to me.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 18,072 Times in 8,927 Posts

I just don't understand why it now takes bands a full year to write, record, mix, master and release an album when it use to take weeks.

I know younger bands have a boatload of material stored up, so especially these younger bands, I have no understanding of why it takes YEARS for a follow up album to a debut.

Led Zeppelin recorded LZ II mainly while on the road touring, with today's technology available to them, there is no damn excuse for taking so long to release new material.

Van Halen could release an average album a year, and with the fanbase they have it would go Gold every year. Same with Rush and other bands.

I don't get it.

So Nikki, Motley Crue has put out two albums of original material since 1998, are you really going to blame that on people's buying habits.

I love old Crue. Put something out fucking decent and I will buy the whole damn album.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I just don't understand why it now takes bands a full year to write, record, mix, master and release an album when it use to take weeks.

I know younger bands have a boatload of material stored up, so especially these younger bands, I have no understanding of why it takes YEARS for a follow up album to a debut.

Led Zeppelin recorded LZ II mainly while on the road touring, with today's technology available to them, there is no damn excuse for taking so long to release new material.

Van Halen could release an average album a year, and with the fanbase they have it would go Gold every year. Same with Rush and other bands.

I don't get it.

So Nikki, Motley Crue has put out two albums of original material since 1998, are you really going to blame that on people's buying habits.

I love old Crue. Put something out fucking decent and I will buy the whole damn album.
    I think it's just part of the process - someone else had mentioned how bands would record a bunch of songs and put out the best 10 - now they are putting 15-16 songs on a CD. Plus, they are producing the hell out of those songs, where in the past, bands would arrive at a finished product a lot quicker.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

It's a different time, too. The consumer, no matter which fanbase they are a part of, would rather compile a collection of their own favorites than listen to a full album.

A person would much rather take "Home Sweet Home" and "Smokin' in the Boys Room" from Theater of Pain than listen to the whole album (and with that disc, I don't blame them either). While I am a part of the album crowd, Nikki just sounds bitter here.

I'll also echo DD's sentiment to say that if they want people to buy the records, then put something good out there. Better yet, put SOMETHING out there. Or when you tour behind it, don't play only two songs and a greatest hits set around it. The band facilitates the mindset the fans have. Rush fans buy the albums because they play the songs. ADKOT sold well because the band supported it.

The last fully listenable album they put out was in '94. It's been mostly junk since then (as much as I enjoy GenSwine, it's a spotty record).
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Artists have a bad habit of complicating the recording/releasing process. Producers are to blame, too.

Since the 2000s came around, we've been cursed with bad production, stalled recording processes, throwing 16 songs on a record with only eight good ones, in the hopes to sound louder, bigger, more powerful, and trying to give everything. And by trying to give everything, they're recording even more and going longer.

Maybe the last part isn't such a bad thing, it's just a shame when you're given a fuckload of songs and you don't even want to listen to most. One thing that's sorely missed from the LP era is trying to fit a full album on two sides. You'd only get a double LP for the most ambitious releases. That way, the band selected the absolute best material they recorded, and released it.

Sabbath did it right by releasing an eight song album and churning the rest out as "bonus" or "deluxe" tracks. Paramore's newest album is the only one I can presently think of with more than 12 songs that I can praise up and down.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 AM
    Liked 1,461 Times in 897 Posts

I don't expect the older bands to put out new albums every year or every other year. The younger and hungrier bands will do that.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:00 AM
    Liked 11,721 Times in 6,495 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZachenFoot View Post
    Paramore's newest album is the only one I can presently think of with more than 12 songs that I can praise up and down.
    Checked the album out based on this ^ and you're right, this is a great album. I was sold after the first five tunes.

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnt really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:13 AM
    Liked 6,668 Times in 3,696 Posts

I actually think Nikki is right about this. Fans are missing out by just buying singles and passing on the rest of the album. I think to myself if Itunes was around in 1984, I (a 10 year old) would have bought Jump, then Panama and Hot for Teacher and that would have been the end of my VH fandom perhaps. Instead I got the whole record as a b-day gift and appreciated the whole thing (my favourite was Top Jimmy). That created a fan that started looking into the other stuff they did. If I had access to singles in Itunes - maybe I would have forgotten about VH and started listening to other hits of the day - actually that's damn likely. Instead I listened to 1984 (in total) over and over again. I don't think that happens today (well except in my house where my kids listen to the whole new KidzBop album over and over again, lol).

All that said, some of the blame goes onto the industry as a whole. If bands think this is a problem then there's an easy way around this - just lower the price of your album on Itunes, or if Itunes doesn't allow this then don't use Itunes.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:20 AM
    Liked 739 Times in 407 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I actually think Nikki is right about this. Fans are missing out by just buying singles and passing on the rest of the album. I think to myself if Itunes was around in 1984, I (a 10 year old) would have bought Jump, then Panama and Hot for Teacher and that would have been the end of my VH fandom perhaps. Instead I got the whole record as a b-day gift and appreciated the whole thing (my favourite was Top Jimmy). That created a fan that started looking into the other stuff they did. If I had access to singles in Itunes - maybe I would have forgotten about VH and started listening to other hits of the day - actually that's damn likely. Instead I listened to 1984 (in total) over and over again. I don't think that happens today (well except in my house where my kids listen to the whole new KidzBop album over and over again, lol).

All that said, some of the blame goes onto the industry as a whole. If bands think this is a problem then there's an easy way around this - just lower the price of your album on Itunes, or if Itunes doesn't allow this then don't use Itunes.
    I don't know...1984 was a fantastic album - start to finish (it was actually THE Van Halen album that got me to listen to the VH back catelogue). I got it as a present and listened to Jump then Panama...and thought, damn (or DARN! I was 13 - wouldn't want to cus TOO young ) - and listened to the rest...

To me, 1984 was a classic example of a stellar album that would have got me hooked in an iTunes era (meaning, I listen to more songs - then finally decide to download the whole thing)...Boston's first was another great example of this, as was Extreme III Sides.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

What's different than if 1984 came out today, someone buying "Jump" and "Panama" and "Hot For Teacher" on iTunes vs. someone back in 1984 buying the 45s of "Jump" or "Panama" or "Hot For Teacher"? One difference of course would be those 45s would come with b-sides ("House Of Pain", "Drop Dead Legs" and "Little Dreamer", respectively), but still - there were singles I bought back then that I might flip 'em once, and if the b-side didn't catch my attention on first listen, it might be awhile before I flip 'em again. It's going to be different for everyone - some folks will like what they hear and want to hear more, some folks will just want to hear the singles and that's that. It's up to the band to a: put out an album that people want to own and b: do what they can to get people to want to discover it - whether that's playing deep cuts in concert or having enough singles that by the time you've heard them all you figure you've heard most of the album so you may as well buy it!

Other things - I think some groups do make the "singles" or popular tracks on their albums cost more than the non-singles, other groups actually offer "two-sided singles" - singles where an a and b side would be, where if you buy each song separately it might cost you $2.30 but you can buy both songs together for $1.99 or something like that. Another thing that used to get me back in the day was edited versions on the singles - I didn't want the 3:00 version, I wanted the 4:30 minute version on the album. Make those cuts "album only". I don't know!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

the other thing iTunes offers that we didn't have is the ability to sample the songs ahead of time - usually 90 seconds worth too. The only way I might hear the other cuts on an album before deciding whether to purchase it would be if a friend bought it first or if the store just happened to be playing it while I was shopping.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:13 AM
    Liked 6,668 Times in 3,696 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    What's different than if 1984 came out today, someone buying "Jump" and "Panama" and "Hot For Teacher" on iTunes vs. someone back in 1984 buying the 45s of "Jump" or "Panama" or "Hot For Teacher"? One difference of course would be those 45s would come with b-sides ("House Of Pain", "Drop Dead Legs" and "Little Dreamer", respectively), but still - there were singles I bought back then that I might flip 'em once, and if the b-side didn't catch my attention on first listen, it might be awhile before I flip 'em again. It's going to be different for everyone - some folks will like what they hear and want to hear more, some folks will just want to hear the singles and that's that. It's up to the band to a: put out an album that people want to own and b: do what they can to get people to want to discover it - whether that's playing deep cuts in concert or having enough singles that by the time you've heard them all you figure you've heard most of the album so you may as well buy it!

Other things - I think some groups do make the "singles" or popular tracks on their albums cost more than the non-singles, other groups actually offer "two-sided singles" - singles where an a and b side would be, where if you buy each song separately it might cost you $2.30 but you can buy both songs together for $1.99 or something like that. Another thing that used to get me back in the day was edited versions on the singles - I didn't want the 3:00 version, I wanted the 4:30 minute version on the album. Make those cuts "album only". I don't know!
    I think the big difference is availability. I can't speak to record stores in other places but up here the album was the thing. 45s or cassingles when they came out was a tiny part of the record store, it was 95% full on albums. I've only ever bought 1 single (pre Itunes) that I can remember and that was Black and Blue (with Apolitical Blues on other side) and that was just because it came out weeks before 0U812 if memory serves.

Nowadays it's just so easy to buy singles. I don't think the reason people don't buy albums isn't because albums aren't good, it's because they can get "the hit" for a dollar. Why spend money on the whole album? When I got 1984 it wasn't because I knew the album was gonna be great, all I knew was Jump and I thought it was cool. That's it. Nowadays if it's not a band I know I won't buy the whole album. I think that's how most people are and it's part of the reason we have a generation of bands that can't tour like they did back when i was younger.