Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Liked 77 Times in 30 Posts

Default Bar Rescue's Jon Taffer on the VH/Sammy split

I'm sure alot of you are fans of or at least aware of the show Bar Rescue. Check out what Jon Taffer had to say about his belief in the whole Cabo saga being the reason why Alex and Eddie wanted Sammy out - I think it's pretty interesting stuff:

Jon Taffer talks to Vanyaland

Favorite VH Album

like choosing among children
    Favorite VH Song

damn...drop dead legs?Unchaine
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:28 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

Very Interesting

passes the whiff test...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

I kinda knew all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 79 Times in 38 Posts

Anyways....Mike is a class act

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Yeah, cool to read from someone else's perspective ..... but nothing not previously told.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:53 PM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

I didn't know Taffer played drums. Cool!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Can someone copy and paste? Linky no worky.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jape Man View Post
    Can someone copy and paste? Linky no worky.
    On Sound: Jon Taffer of Bar Rescue on running rock clubs, the science of BPM, and Van Halenís boozy business affairs

ďRunning a bar is not just a business Ė itís a scienceÖ nobody knows more about bar science than Jon Taffer.Ē Three seasons in, that opening voiceover to Spike TVís Bar Rescue is undoubtedly the most recognizable on the current reality television landscape. Taffer, a bar business veteran, takes on the tired, the angry, the bitter, and the dejected who are desperate to find a savior even if, like doubting Thomas before them, they at first donít believe. Much more often than not, the boisterous, Svengali-like Taffer is able to take establishments in disrepair and turn them around with a new look, sometimes a new name, and always with an attitude of positivity that few can match. Thatís led to a book deal; Raise the Bar drops this October and is available for pre-order now, as well as another show on Spike, Hungry Investors, which is set to debut next spring.
    But way before he was a pop culture touchstone, Taffer was a music man. He played drums with a band called Hollywood Joe so long ago itís next to impossible to find more than grainy press photos or whispers of reverence and secondhand tales of their Sunset Strip days. Vanyaland caught up with Taffer at his home in Las Vegas last week, just before he was about to go out on the road to film more Bar Rescue episodes, with a fourth season beginning this fall. We talked about the role music plays in bars, a genius patent that Taffer has taken out, and what he believes to be the real reason Van Halen and Sammy Hagar went their separate ways.

Michael Christopher: How does music play into where youíve come from and what you do today?

Jon Taffer: Years ago, I was a musician; I took nine years of drum lessons and moved to Los Angeles to pursue a music career. Onstage, playing in places like the Troubadour, the Whisky, the Roxy and all those places, I got to feel the energy music had on environments Ė and it was very profound for me. Years later, the Knack played the Troubadour, and they had a song called ďMy Sharona.Ē When they played that song, I had never seen anything like it in my life Ė to this day. People stood on tables [mimics the iconic opening to the track], they just went, excuse me, fucking nuts! The energy and dynamic of this music was incredible.

One day the owner of the Troubadour, Doug Weston, threw me a key ring and said, ďAhhÖ you can have this place,Ē and the next day I was running the Troubadour. I went at this business with a love of music and an insatiable desire to create frenzy, energy and dynamics through music.
    I own the only patent issued by the federal government to achieve the desire ambiance in a musical program in hospitality properties Ė itís a frigginí patent! I took 72,000 songs, color-coded them by energy level and then chose a number of things; beats-per-minute, instrumentation, distortion levels, then categorized them by female vocalists, male vocalist Ė put them into key and line them all into type, content, demographic and energy. Then we would design grids with beats-per-minute curves at a certain rate where we have these 45 minute sets; if they were too high or too long youíd get fried and go home early. Too low, too long youíd get bored and go home early.
    Then I started working on the science of beats-per-minute. I have an incredible passion for human behavior; getting you to come to my place, getting you to stay longer, getting you to eat what I want you to eat, getting you to chew faster, chew slower, blink faster, blink slower, talk more, talk less.

Music is such an integral part of the bar experience whether itís a live band, a jukebox, iPod nights, DJsÖ

Look at DJs today Ė Tiesto, $20-plus-million contract as a resident DJ in Las Vegas. The DJs are making millions and millions of dollars in Vegas. Every billboard when you drive up and down the strip, it used to be for restaurants and hotel rooms and suites; every one of them now is for a frickiní DJ.

Where do you think bars make the biggest mistake with music?

I am not a DJ, Iím much too old for that now. I will allow a DJ to pick
    songs, because theyíre better at that. But I am a nutcase when it comes to managing music. Some people might take offense to some of this, but I am absolutely right, Iíve got 35 years and a track record to prove it.
    You got a gang problem in your bar? Every third song should be a female vocalist Ė theyíll be gone in three weeks Ė end of frickiní discussion. You got a gang problem in your bar? Every third song should be a female vocalist Ė theyíll be gone in three weeks Ė end of frickiní discussion. Thatís the power of music. Content swings; for example, a DJ thinks heís doing great, man, he goes into a hip-hop set for an hour and a half, the dance floor stays packed Ė I donít make any money off the frickiní dance floor. I make money when the cash registers ring.

Every 15 minutes a DJ, to be effective, he must make a left hand turn. That left hand turn must be a shift in music type to the point that one audience that likes one type of music walks off the dance floor as the other type walks on. That left turn causes a surge at the cash register that will make my night successful. DJs have to learn that their job is not to play to dance floors but to play to rooms; their job is to move people on and off the floor Ė not keep them on the floor all night long.

Youíve talked about the power of music. Is there any truth to the rumor that Bar Rescue is set to go on hiatus so you can get back together with Hollywood Joe and tour the world?

I canít believe you just said that Ė thatís a funny thing. There are some tapes and videos out there Ė somewhere! And I keep in touch with Joey to this day. Heís now in his 60s but son-of-a-gun, Joe is going to go down with a guitar in his hand trying until the last minute [laughs].

How long did you play?

I have a drum set in my office right now. I have a Marshall Mini Stack in my office with two guitars; one of those is a Hendrix guitar that I bought from off Buddy Miles [drummer in Band of Gypsys]. He got into some drug problems and itís a matter of fact that he inherited a bunch of Jimiís guitars and I bought one of them and itís one of my prized possessions. I have a Roland V studio-quality drum set in my office, the finest electronic drum set you can buy, it has real heads on it Ė itís not those rubber pad bullshit sets.

How often do you play? Youíre just bored one day or you just need to clear your head and pick up the guitar or you sit behind the kit?

I tend to play the drums a lot more than guitar these days; because of Bar Rescue I travel and I really donít get to play the guitar consistently, so I donít have the callouses on my fingers anymore. Drums I play all the time. Iím heading out on the road next week for four weeks for Bar Rescue, so Iím gonna play my brains out the next couple days and get it out of my system so I donít need a fix while Iím gone.

What sort of style are you into?

Iím a different kind of drummer. Iíll put on my headphones and Iíll play a George Benson set and the next album I play will be a Hendrix album. The next album Iíll play will be a nostalgic album and the next one I play will be a Broadway soundtrack album. I still like to keep my chops together, so I will play a Broadway side, a jazz side, a rock side Ė Iíll drop some Van Halen on.

Your playing covers various styles. Are your tastes in music just as eclectic?

Iím a purist. Candidly? And please excuse my language, I fucking hate produced music. I hate that people can sit in front of a computer Ė even DJs Ė they can take a very simple bridge and synthesize it and build a song around it with a computer program and no musicians involved. That bothers me. I believe that five guys should walk into a room and make music.

Do you get out and see a lot of shows?

Iím in Vegas and Iím well-connected so I get to see anyone I want. Black Sabbath is coming to town, so thatíll be fun. Iíll give you an idea of my tastes; Iíll go to a Jeff Beck concert in a minute, Iíll go to a Metallica concert if theyíre in town. Iíll also go to a Beach Boys concert if theyíre here.
    Great music is great music. Iím extremely in awe of anyone that can build a big catalog of music with hooks that sells.

I know youíve worked with Sammy Hagar before, but when it comes to Van Halen, are you a Dave guy or a Sammy guy?

[Laughs] Let me tell you a quick, funny story about when Sammy and the guys went down to Mexico and decided to open Cabo Wabo Ė this is years ago. They had left a titty bar and they watched a local drunk walk into a light pole and knock himself out. Sammy turns to Eddie and says, ďThatís the Cabo Wabo!Ē and they have a big laugh. The next morning they wake up and decide they want to open this nightclub next to their favorite topless bar. They find a local architect [Marco Monroy] and tell them that they want a 12,000-square-foot nightclub. Being rockstars, they leave two days later and go on a 10 month tour.

They come back after the tour and the club is 12,000 square meters, which is 32,000 square feet Ė so this club is almost three times the size they expected. First year it loses one million dollars and is a huge frustration in the band. Sammy goes ahead and buys out Eddie and his brother and now he owns 100% of it and he gives half of it to the architect, Marco, and his wife, to run in Cabo.

Marcoís wife becomes promoted to the VP of tourism to the port of Cabo. The next morning, there are buses pulling up in front of Cabo Wabo from all the cruise ships to buy t-shirts, and suddenly theyíre doing $50,000 to $60,000 a week in t-shirts when the month before the place was losing a million a year.

Sammyís got the tequila going, heís got the club going, heís making all this money and heís perceived as the coolest guy in Van Halen, and the Van Halen brothers have none of this.Now the Van Halen brothers are out, Sammy owns the place, it becomes successful. Marco comes up with the idea to make a Cabo Wabo tequila, they move 140,000 cases a year in sales and Sammy later sells it for, give or take, $80 million. All this is going on while the band had broken up over, what I believe, Cabo Wabo. Sammyís got the tequila going, heís got the club going, heís making all this money and heís perceived as the coolest guy in Van Halen, and the Van Halen brothers have none of this.

Eight years later, the band gets back together with Sammy for a summer tour. At this time, Iím working with Sammy on a Cabo Wabo New Orleans. In the contract that Sammy signed to go on tour with Van Halen, it said specifically that heís not allowed to say Cabo Wabo, wear Cabo Wabo shirts, do anything with Cabo Wabo onstage whatsoever.

He signs the contract.

Next day, Sammy goes out and gets the biggest fucking Cabo Wabo tattoo on his arm he can possibly get. Every promo picture has Cabo Wabo in it. Halfway through a planned world tour they were ready to frickiní kill each other and they [didnít go overseas].

The theory is that Sammy hoodwinked the Van Halen brothers, had a plan to buy them out while the club was doing poorly and then turn it around and make all the profit for himself.

Can I be honest with you? I know Sammy Hagar Ė heís not that smart. It didnít happen that way. They opened the place Ė it failed. They wanted out, Sammy bought them out. The cruise ships started showing up; thatís the side of the story I believe. And Sammyís not a bad guy Ė Iím not suggesting he is Ė Sammy Hagar did not wake up one morning and decide to fuck the Van Halen brothers.
    However! That saidÖ I gotta go with Diamond Dave.

Iím right there with ya.

When I used to run the Troubadour, Diamond Dave used to come hang out and I remember a lot of wild Diamond Dave nights that I wonít get into. There were some amazing stories at the Troubadour and he was involved in quite a few of them, actually [laughs].
    M*U*L*E

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I'm reminded of an old Buggs Bunny cartoon where Daffy wins a million "box" and gives it to Buggs only to find out that each box contained money.
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I agree with most on here, Sam didn't intentionally screw over the vh bros with the cabo wabo stuff....I mean c'mon.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:06 PM
    Liked 573 Times in 314 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I agree with most on here, Sam didn't intentionally screw over the vh bros with the cabo wabo stuff....I mean c'mon.
    Well it's a stupid idea to begin with.

They think Sammy ran the bar poorly, so it would fail and he could buy out the brothers? Yeah, that makes total sense.

Cabo San Lucas got popular, and Sam happened to own a bar there....THAT is why the place started making money. It's not because Sam is some business guru. Not saying he doesn't have some business sense, because he's had quite a few successful ventures, but he's just not that damn smart. But he's smart enough to get good people to handle things for him, unlike the VH brothers.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

Sammyís got the tequila going, heís got the club going, heís making all this money and heís perceived as the coolest guy in Van Halen, and the Van Halen brothers have none of this

well I guess it depends on whom you're asking, and if you're asking Sammy, he IS the coolest guy in Van Halen

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,802 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Dangle View Post
    Can I be honest with you? I know Sammy Hagar Ė heís not that smart. It didnít happen that way. They opened the place Ė it failed. They wanted out, Sammy bought them out. The cruise ships started showing up; thatís the side of the story I believe. And Sammyís not a bad guy Ė Iím not suggesting he is Ė Sammy Hagar did not wake up one morning and decide to fuck the Van Halen brothers.
    However! That saidÖ I gotta go with Diamond Dave.

Iím right there with ya.

When I used to run the Troubadour, Diamond Dave used to come hang out and I remember a lot of wild Diamond Dave nights that I wonít get into. There were some amazing stories at the Troubadour and he was involved in quite a few of them, actually [laughs].
    Would love to hear some of those stories. Maybe someday a book will be written.

On Sammy not being that smart, I agree with Pacfan in a way. Sammy doesn't seem like a genius or anything....but he keep succeeding. Like over and over again. Not sure I can believe a person can just keep falling into money like that. He seems really driven to me. Drive is a key to success. And Sammy seemed smart enough to hire someone to run the bar. Jerry Jones of the Cowboys could learn a thing or two from Sammy, methinks.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I think his interpretation is pretty accurate...but was there not also an issue with some embezzlement or something with a short term manager as well during the time it was failing? Pretty sure I remember both Sam and Eddie in separate interviews mentioned that they were told things we're going well, but being owners from a distance, they took it for what it was. When they where going down there though for a visit, things we're far from great. The books were a mess, and on word Sam Alex and Ed were coming down, the guy looking after it cut and run with the skim. Not cool!
    Pretty sure this is when Ed and Al said screw it. At least from what I remember.
    There's no doubt that it's turning around under Sam's ownership was a nasty sticking point, and only added fuel to the fire, but hey...That's business. You're either in it for the long haul through good and bad, or you cut your losses when things get tough.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

I still think Sam is a mostly cool guy, but the whole thing with the Cabo Tabo tattoo was pretty stupid and selfish. He knew that doing it would piss off Ed and Al and that's precisely why he did it. If you're looking for a constructive relationship (or gasp...friendship) you don't do things like that. You can also throw barbs at the VH bros, of course, because don't get me wrong, there were plenty of things on their side (namely Ed) that were torpedoing that tour from the start.

I also look at it from the VH bros' perspective: they gave it up and it became successful, no doubt about it. TBut then Sam goes out and hires a band to play a lot of tunes Ed helped write and basically becomes Jimmy Buffet hawking tequila wherever he went. By the time he joined VH for the 2004 tour, he was almost a charicature when it came to tequila sales, and I'm sure the VH bros didn't want him to join simply to increase his audience, exposure, and profit margins for Cabo Wabo tequila (especially since there was a rift about the product to begin with).

As for Jon Taffer...what is wrong with that guy, exactly? He bobs his head like crazy and just seems overall awkward. It's hard for me to imagine him doing something so coordinated like drumming

Then again, there's Alex in the Hot For Teacher Video
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.