Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Default Power scaling and Ed's new combo.

Anybody get the new combo, 5150 III? I think I have to get one. I'm a sucker for a gimmick and I'm told power scaling is a gimmick. Fist, I watched a review from Anderton's on YouTube. Guy says its not really power scaling in the new combo. Then what is it? I've tried and with it. Didn't hear much of a difference.

So I'm hoping someone here can school me in power scaling as it relates to the new 5150 combo. As well as in general. I get the idea behind it and have read a ton in the use of a variac. Mostly want opinions on how it works in this new combo.

I'd also like opinions on the new combo in general. As well as a comparison between the combo and the 50 watt head and 2x12.

Thanks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only difference between the 50w head and combo is that the combo has power scaling and built-in reverb, and the head doesn't.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.20.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 51 Times in 18 Posts

Id like someone here to review the 100 watt head as well.. I almost bought a used one

Unchained
    Last Online

11.11.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Correct combo has power scaling

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

First I have to say that I dont have the combo..but the power scaling is a major draw...Orange has done it with the Tiny Series where you can switch from 15 watts to 7 watts. Marshall has a couple heads that switch from 100w to 50w..the YJM is one...

I'm not sure if this is the answer you are looking for but what I believe power scaling to be is being able to lower the overall wattage of am amp so you can crank it to 10 like God intended without cracking your ribs...those early Plexis had to be at 2 or 3 ocolock to get that coveted Marshall crunch but unless you were playing the Spectrum it was too much volume. Hence the birth of the Master Volume, where you could still get distortion without the volume. However, most MV models only drive the preamp tubes, not the Power tubes so you are still not getting the true sound you want. Power scaling is supposed to be the answer to that...

There is a video on youtube (wish I could post a link but I only have a tablet to type) with the 5150III combo on 1 watt. Sounds pretty badass from that video.

I sold my Peavey combo a few months ago. I am done with combos unless its a bedroom amp for under $200. Especially the 5150 line..they are great amps. I mean my Peavey 5150 was always talked about especially for the $375 I paid for it..but they are just too heavy
    Earn this...

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

a few months back I had the 5150 III combo on order and it was just about to be shipped and I changed my mind and went with the 50W head and 2X12 cab instead. Why????? well I guess I thought having a cab and head was better looking and I heard so much "hooplla" about the 50W head I just had to have it. I do love it but sorta wish I had stayed with the combo so I could try the power scalling feature too especially since I am a basement player anyways.

Decisions, decisions.....

Rob

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKYAB View Post
    Id like someone here to review the 100 watt head as well.. I almost bought a used one
    Actually that would be cool, reason being I've seen a few on CL over the past while for sale for not bad prices overall, compared to new, but with channel problems. There's one right now that says the lead channel cuts out completely. anyone else on here have that problem, and is it an easy fix, or at least an affordable one to make buying it worth while? My old Peavey 5150 had a similar issue on the lead channel, but what happened was I'd get very low output. I could put the post gain on 10, and it would sound thin and like it was on 2 or 3 in volume. That was a cap problem on the first run, and they fixed it no charge, but this issue is an entirely dead channel.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Just type in "EVH 5150 iii combo" or something like that on youtube, and one of the first results will be a demo by Chris Canella and he shows off the power scaling.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Actually that would be cool, reason being I've seen a few on CL over the past while for sale for not bad prices overall, compared to new, but with channel problems. There's one right now that says the lead channel cuts out completely. anyone else on here have that problem, and is it an easy fix, or at least an affordable one to make buying it worth while? My old Peavey 5150 had a similar issue on the lead channel, but what happened was I'd get very low output. I could put the post gain on 10, and it would sound thin and like it was on 2 or 3 in volume. That was a cap problem on the first run, and they fixed it no charge, but this issue is an entirely dead channel.
    If I recall, the first run of 5150 III heads had a minor resistor problem (I knew a dealer who pre-sold about 15 of them before they even shipped, so he was in the know with EVH at the time).

I honestly can't remember what the problem caused but I think it was something with channels cutting out, or the switching system getting stuck on a channel -- I don't think it was power amp related because that would have initiated a recall (because of possible expensive damage to the power transformer, output transformer, and power tubes).

Anyway, Fender was fixing it for free as far as I know, and I did hear of a couple techs who they sent the parts out to with a partial schematic to fix it themselves. I believe it was a very simple fix... I remember checking ebay for about a year on and off looking for a "as is broken 5150 III" that I could scoop up and repair for nothing... giving my knowledge of the problem... but that was what, 4-5 years ago now?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    If I recall, the first run of 5150 III heads had a minor resistor problem (I knew a dealer who pre-sold about 15 of them before they even shipped, so he was in the know with EVH at the time).

I honestly can't remember what the problem caused but I think it was something with channels cutting out, or the switching system getting stuck on a channel -- I don't think it was power amp related because that would have initiated a recall (because of possible expensive damage to the power transformer, output transformer, and power tubes).

Anyway, Fender was fixing it for free as far as I know, and I did hear of a couple techs who they sent the parts out to with a partial schematic to fix it themselves. I believe it was a very simple fix... I remember checking ebay for about a year on and off looking for a "as is broken 5150 III" that I could scoop up and repair for nothing... giving my knowledge of the problem... but that was what, 4-5 years ago now?
    Thanks MRJ!I sold my Peavey 5150 earlier this year, didn't use it much anymore, just kinda lacks versatility, but have been thinking about either a 6505+(because of the independent EQ's for each channel, and heard a little less hiss), a 3120, or a used 5150 III for $700.00 bucks with a hopefully small cost repair.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    Anybody get the new combo, 5150 III? I think I have to get one. I'm a sucker for a gimmick and I'm told power scaling is a gimmick. Fist, I watched a review from Anderton's on YouTube. Guy says its not really power scaling in the new combo. Then what is it? I've tried and with it. Didn't hear much of a difference.

So I'm hoping someone here can school me in power scaling as it relates to the new 5150 combo. As well as in general. I get the idea behind it and have read a ton in the use of a variac. Mostly want opinions on how it works in this new combo.

I'd also like opinions on the new combo in general. As well as a comparison between the combo and the 50 watt head and 2x12.

Thanks.
    the combo is great. it does exactly what it says it will do. the power scaling takes the power down to 1w so you can crank it and keep the volume down. it is basically the same as the 50w head as it shares ch1-2 and 3 is separate, and instead of a separate 2x12, it has 2x12 built in. its built like a tank and is heavy. really good amp. the power scaling is not a gimmick and works and sounds great.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommytom11 View Post
    the combo is great. it does exactly what it says it will do. the power scaling takes the power down to 1w so you can crank it and keep the volume down. it is basically the same as the 50w head as it shares ch1-2 and 3 is separate, and instead of a separate 2x12, it has 2x12 built in. its built like a tank and is heavy. really good amp. the power scaling is not a gimmick and works and sounds great.
    Cosmetically I prefer the 50 watt head and matching 2x12. I played one side by side with a PV 6505+ 1x12 combo. PV had a much thicker and fuller sound. Way more bass. I expected the 5150 III 50 watt to be much closer sounding. It was suggested to me it might have been a bad head. So I'm leaning towards the combo just from that experience. But the power scaling is what pushes me to the combo.

I own two 5150 heads with matching slant 4x12 cabs. One I play. One just collects dust. I pretty much play through a 5150 exclusively. Sometimes I use my Marshall Class 5 combo. But I prefer the 5150. I like the bass, the thump. I thought the new Fender version would have that thump. It's tough to find them to play myself. Guitar Center near me doesn't seem to carry any EVH gear. Gonna try the smaller stores soon. Just been pretty busy. Can't wait to try the new combo and its power scaling.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

It's definitely a great feature! Someone mentioned the YJM head...been eyeing that thing for a while. Looks sweet, pricey but nice.

I'm still not over the fact that the 5150 III mini head and combo share controls for the first two channels. Though they are still great sounding amps IMO that seriously compromises their versatility..which is a bummer. If you want to take advantage of the clean channel's cleanest settings then the second channel is deballed...turning amp knobs from song to song isn't something anyone wants to do. Sorry to derail for a moment..just pent up frustration over that compromise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Thanks MRJ!I sold my Peavey 5150 earlier this year, didn't use it much anymore, just kinda lacks versatility, but have been thinking about either a 6505+(because of the independent EQ's for each channel, and heard a little less hiss), a 3120, or a used 5150 III for $700.00 bucks with a hopefully small cost repair.
    Well, the 6505+ is a 5150 II, which is essentially the same lead channel Ed used since 1993 (his original 5150 I's were modded to be more like what the 5150 II became later on, natural evolution of sound and design, etc.) I don't know about you, but I LOVE that sound -- and of course the Peaveys are all built like a freaking tank. I have a modded 5150 I, but I'd love to pick up a 5150 II / 6505+ to have a slightly different flavor of my favorite lead sound.

The 3120 is a VERY cool amp. I've played one a lot in a store (got to crank it a lil bit too) and I was super impressed. I think it had the EL34's, but it can run different kinds of power tubes stock. Anyway, I was tempted to pick one up but just couldn't justify it at the time money wise. I'll probably score one used at some point to add to the studio amp collection.

The 5150 III is also a super cool amp. I was blown away by the original 100W head (haven't tried the newer variants). The 3 separate channels is just a fantastic design (no shared EQ), and the switching system is somewhat revolutionary and really cool from an engineering standpoint. It's at the top of my list of amps to buy for my collection.

I know you're very tech savvy so I probably don't need to tell you this, but as long as the problem with a 5150III involves only 1 or 2 channels being "out" or having the switching system messed up, I think it would be a cheap repair. I'd stay away from anything that says "doesn't power on at all" or, "no output whatsoever". That's always code for "I left it running with no speaker" so there's a $300+ transformer repair you're about to inherit...

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    Cosmetically I prefer the 50 watt head and matching 2x12. I played one side by side with a PV 6505+ 1x12 combo. PV had a much thicker and fuller sound. Way more bass. I expected the 5150 III 50 watt to be much closer sounding. It was suggested to me it might have been a bad head. So I'm leaning towards the combo just from that experience. But the power scaling is what pushes me to the combo.

I own two 5150 heads with matching slant 4x12 cabs. One I play. One just collects dust. I pretty much play through a 5150 exclusively. Sometimes I use my Marshall Class 5 combo. But I prefer the 5150. I like the bass, the thump. I thought the new Fender version would have that thump. It's tough to find them to play myself. Guitar Center near me doesn't seem to carry any EVH gear. Gonna try the smaller stores soon. Just been pretty busy. Can't wait to try the new combo and its power scaling.
    based on what you already have i would say the combo would be a good choice. you already have the heads/cabs thing and the combo would give you an option. the 5150III is a totally different amp than the peaveys. voiced differently. but crank up the resonance and i would have a hard time believing you would need more bottom. and the power scaling is really good.