Register
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Default Tortoises To Be Euthanized As Sanctuary Goes Broke

Tortoises to be euthanized as sanctuary goes broke

(Las Vegas) - For decades, the vulnerable desert tortoise has led a sheltered existence.

Developers have taken pains to keep the animal safe. It's been protected from meddlesome hikers by the threat of prison time. And wildlife officials have set the species up on a sprawling conservation reserve outside Las Vegas.

But the pampered desert dweller now faces a threat from the very people who have nurtured it.

Federal funds are running out at the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center, and officials plan to close the site and euthanize hundreds of the tortoises they've been caring for since the animals were added to the endangered species list in 1990.

"It's the lesser of two evils, but it's still evil," said U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service desert tortoise recovery coordinator Roy Averill-Murray during a visit to the soon-to-be-shuttered reserve at the southern edge of the Las Vegas Valley last week.

Biologists went about their work examining tortoises for signs of disease as Averill-Murray walked among the reptile pens. But the scrubby 220-acre refuge area will stop taking new animals in the coming months. Most that arrive in the fall will simply be put down, late-emerging victims of budget problems that came from the same housing bubble that put a neighborhood of McMansions at the edge of the once-remote site.

The Bureau of Land Management has paid for the holding and research facility with fees imposed on developers who disturb tortoise habitat on public land. As the housing boom swept through southern Nevada in the 2000s, the tortoise budget swelled. But when the recession hit, the housing market contracted, and the bureau and its local government partners began struggling to meet the center's $1 million annual budget.

Housing never fully recovered, and the federal mitigation fee that developers pay has brought in just $290,000 during the past 11 months. Local partners, which collect their own tortoise fees, have pulled out of the project.

"With the money going down and more and more tortoises coming in, it never would have added up," said BLM spokeswoman Hillerie Patton.

Back at the conservation center, scientists examined the facility's 1,400 inhabitants to find those hearty enough to release into the wild. Officials expect to euthanize more than half the animals in the coming months in preparation for closure at the end of 2014.

No more than 100,000 tortoises are thought to survive in the habitat where millions once burrowed across parts of Utah, California, Arizona and Nevada.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

So because there aren't enough funds to keep these turtles in a conservatory IN THE DESERT they are going to kill half the animals as opposed to releasing them.....INTO THE DESERT?

Am I getting the just of the story here?

What possible harm worse than DEATH could occur to these turtles out in the desert? I'd rather give them a shot in the wild as opposed to just slaughtering them irregardless of the question of if they are hearty enough to be released or not. Give all of them a chance at least.
    Last edited by MF5150; 08.25.13 at 08:26 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:46 AM
    Liked 1,623 Times in 870 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    So because there aren't enough funds to keep these turtles in a conservatory IN THE DESERT they are going to kill half the animals as opposed to releasing them.....INTO THE DESERT?

Am I getting the just of the story here?

What possible harm worse than DEATH could occur to these turtles out in the desert? I'd rather give them a shot in the wild as opposed to just slaughtering them irregardless of the question of if they are hearty enough to be released or not. Give all of them a chance at least.
    You just summarized our government with 1 sentence.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford