Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Ed's Marshall

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts

Default Ed's Marshall

http://www.vanhalenradio.com/vanhale...b_source=pubv1

Ask Eddie: Do You Still Have Your Plexiglass Amp?

Eddie Van Halen answers another fan question in the latest “Ask Eddie” – from EVHGEAR
    It’s time for another installment of Ask Eddie, where guitarist Eddie Van Halen answers questions submitted by fans around the world.
    In the latest edition, Van Halen gives Andrew Armstrong of Australia an update on one of his original amps.

Andrew: Hi there Eddie. I’ve been watching Van Halen since the beginning and seen a couple of shows of my favorite band! My question is do you still own your original 100-watt plexiglass amp, the one used on the first album?

Van Halen: Hi Andrew. Yes, of course I still have my original 100 watt plexiglass amp. Unfortunately over the years, I had too many different amp repair techs mess with it. One of them took it upon himself to re-wire the whole amp with new wire, and the amp never sounded the same again.
    Since then, I have taken original old wiring out of other old plexi heads to get the amp back to its original state. But even though it has all old wiring in it again, it still doesn’t sound quite as good as it used to.
    ITS 5150 TIME

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PT 5150 View Post
    http://www.vanhalenradio.com/vanhale...b_source=pubv1

Ask Eddie: Do You Still Have Your Plexiglass Amp?

Eddie Van Halen answers another fan question in the latest “Ask Eddie” – from EVHGEAR
    It’s time for another installment of Ask Eddie, where guitarist Eddie Van Halen answers questions submitted by fans around the world.
    In the latest edition, Van Halen gives Andrew Armstrong of Australia an update on one of his original amps.

Andrew: Hi there Eddie. I’ve been watching Van Halen since the beginning and seen a couple of shows of my favorite band! My question is do you still own your original 100-watt plexiglass amp, the one used on the first album?

Van Halen: Hi Andrew. Yes, of course I still have my original 100 watt plexiglass amp. Unfortunately over the years, I had too many different amp repair techs mess with it. One of them took it upon himself to re-wire the whole amp with new wire, and the amp never sounded the same again.
    Since then, I have taken original old wiring out of other old plexi heads to get the amp back to its original state. But even though it has all old wiring in it again, it still doesn’t sound quite as good as it used to.

thanks Matt. even though you were the guy who gave the amp to the guy who rewired it wih new wire???

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.17.16 @ 10:54 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Always thought Matt bruck cannot be trusted....

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

09.24.13 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Funny, I thought he lost the old amps.

From the jas obrech interview.

How many amps do you use?

I had four good amps that I used to use all the time, but I don’t have them anymore. What I basically have is three different setups, three complete setups. I have three 100-watt tops of whatever make – right now I’m using Music Man, a couple of Laney amps, which are English, and a couple of new Marshalls. I’m just using everything right now because I lost those old amps. But I use like three 100-watt amps for the main set – what I call it – and then I do my guitar solo, and after that I change guitars and amps to setup number two. And setup number three is also again three amps, for backup.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:12 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neogoalie View Post

Eddie has a lot of Marshalls and he's used a lot of them over the years. He still has THAT amp though, it's been seen very recently by maybe Bob Bradshaw or John Suhr, one of those guys. I think there is even a photo of Slash posing with the amp, it was in someone's shop getting worked on. I wonder who gutted the amp and replaced everything? Maybe it was that Dutch guy Peter Vanderwhatever, he hasn't been seen or heard from since working on the amp lol. Anyway, that amp is history...the early VH stuff is all we got now. A real good example of that amp's sound can be found on the EVH Letterman appearance where Johnny Carson was on...absolutely killer old-school brown sound. It's on Youtube.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 11,605 Times in 4,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neogoalie View Post

Once VH was really touring pretty sure Ed didn't use his main Marshall live...probably why his live sound is much different than the albums.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Once VH was really touring pretty sure Ed didn't use his main Marshall live...probably why his live sound is much different than the albums.
    Yeah it was pretty short lived. I recall articles in GP, and GW saying he did tour with it for a few years, but it almost got lost. In an interview from 80, or 81, there was a question about the amp, the interviewer was kinda shocked at Ed's variac setup, and how the amp was run full up night after night, (This was when Eddie was telling guys he BOOSTED the voltage!) Anyway, he was saying it was his main live and studio head till Pan-Am or TWA misdirected it once, and it ended up on the other side of the country or whatever. Then for a while they couldn't track it, so it freaked him out, thinking it got stolen.They found it and he got it back luckily. He said after that, he relied on some "close" sounding Marshalls and Laneys for live. Most likely these were ones modded by Jose....At least my guess. For the Marshalls, he said most were still early Non Master amps. Not sure about the Laney's, but he actually used them pretty heavily in the early days.
    Forgot about him using Music Man! never seen which model he used though.
    Last edited by we die young; 08.22.13 at 03:33 PM.

Last Online

THIS IS “THE HEAD OF DOOM” !!! Eddie’s ORIGINAL MARSHALL from ERUPTION til’ 1984!!!!!! Serious MOJO !!!!!! ”

” I DON’T OWN ED’s Original Baby…. She’s Getting some TLC right now…”

” ED’s ORIGINAL HEAD is Being Overhauled…. This is the GRAIL though…. ”

-Zakk Wylde

Read more: http://www.vhnd.com/2010/08/18/zakk-...#ixzz2cfEnEUut

ITS 5150 TIME

Last Online

Guitar Player ‏@GuitarPlayerNow 20 Aug Eddie Van Halen's legendary early rig (c. 1978-79): pic.twitter.com/DL83pKz1at
    ITS 5150 TIME

Last Online

ITS 5150 TIME

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the point is ed very rarely tells the truth about gear.........now that im older i can understand being 23 yo and people are freaking out over your gear and tone as much as your technique youve got something noone can figure out but want......youre a young hungry not very humble guitarist , youre going to protect that stuff and say anything to keep the mystique..

how many interveiws from the 70s or early 80s did ed go " ummmmm well you see i cant tell you well like maybe a little i can tell."

he just never seemed to outgrow the ambigious answering about gear.

i take everything he says with a grain of salt now.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

Zach is at Friedman's shop with Ed's amp,in that pic. Friedman, I'm pretty sure, was the guy trying to rewire it back to original. He has done work for Ed in the past.

I'm convinced the amp never changed. Ed did. After playing a Soldano Slo 100, it's hard to go back to a stock Marshall. No matter how good it is. I know some days I don't really like my PV 5150 head and cab. Too fizzy and buzzy. I'll play another amp, maybe some ampkit or amplitube through my iPhone. Go back and love the 5150. Point is some days things seem to change. Think I read George Lynch blaming gremlins coming in and moving knobs around on him to make his amp suck certain days.

I blame Ed not likeing his Marshall on his use of effects. Use harmonizer and delays for a while. Take them away and the amp seems kinda lame at first. That's what I think happened.

Everyone who touches the amp say its a good to great Marshall. Surh, Soldano, Fryette, Bogner(who kinda hints he didn't like it), and Friedman all say it. The magic is Ed.