Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 11,778 Times in 6,524 Posts

Premium Member

Default Russia Today Kicks Reporter Off For Protesting Anti Gay Laws

RUSSIA-FUNDED TV NETWORK KICKS REPORTER OFF AFTER HE USES SEGMENT TO PROTEST ANTI-GAY LAWS THEN ALLEGEDLY DROPS HIM OFF ‘ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD’

Aug. 21, 2013 1:20pm Madeleine Morgenstern

A reporter who was supposed to go on the Kremlin-owned Russia Today news network to discuss Bradley Manning’s sentencing instead used the opportunity to protest Russia’s new anti-gay law on Wednesday.

“Being here on a Kremlin-funded propaganda network, I’m going to wear my gay pride suspenders and going to speak out against the horrific anti-gay legislation that Vladimir Putin has signed into law,” Jamie Kirchick said, pulling on rainbow suspenders on camera from his location in Stolkholm.

When one of the anchors tried to get him back on the topic of Manning, Kirchick said, “I’m not really interested in talking about Bradley Manning.”

“I’m interested in talking about the horrific environment of homophobia in Russia right now and to let the Russian gay people know that they have friends and allies in solidarity from people all over the world and that we’re not going to be silent in the face of this horrific repression that is perpetrated…by your paymasters, by Vladimir Putin,” he said. “That’s what I’m here to talk about.”

He turned on the anchor, asking how “as a journalist how you can go to sleep at night” while seeing the harassment that journalists in Russia face.

“Everyone who works for this network should be ashamed of yourself,” he said.

The anchor again tried to steer the conversation back to Manning.

“You have 24 hours a day to lie about the United States and to ignore what’s happening in Russia, you have 24 hours a day to do that, I am going to take my two minutes and tell people the truth,” Kirchick said.

Shortly thereafter, Kirchick vanished from the program’s split screen, according to the Washington Free Beacon. A host later apologized for “any confusion caused”: “We invited a guest on to discuss the fate of the whistleblower, but he used the chance to discuss his views on other unrelated issues and that’s why we had to take him off air.”

After his appearance, Kirchick tweeted that RT apparently canceled its car service for him.

“True fact: @RT_com just called taxi company that took me to studio to drop me off on the side of the highway on way to Stockholm airport,” he posted.

Prior to going on the air, Kirchick had tweeted, “Need a rainbow flag in #Stockholm, fast. Can anyone help?”

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Fuckin guy deserves everything he got, he was brought there to discuss a topic and he deceived and misled the station. Its their country and their laws, if you dont like how they treat gays in their own country then protest in yours. Russia has every right to tell gays not to prosthletyze to minors, it is not even a bad law by the worlds standards and is not even inhumane. I think there is going to be huge backlash against gays for their tactics in the near future because people are getting damned sick of being force fed gay bullshit every night, there is more important things.... FAR FUCKING MORE IMPORTANT things than gay rights in the world.
    End of rant.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:01 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    Fuckin guy deserves everything he got, he was brought there to discuss a topic and he deceived and misled the station. Its their country and their laws, if you dont like how they treat gays in their own country then protest in yours. Russia has every right to tell gays not to prosthletyze to minors, it is not even a bad law by the worlds standards and is not even inhumane. I think there is going to be huge backlash against gays for their tactics in the near future because people are getting damned sick of being force fed gay bullshit every night, there is more important things.... FAR FUCKING MORE IMPORTANT things than gay rights in the world.
    End of rant.
    You could have said that you're straight and so "gay rights" does not concern you.

It's your right to not give a shit though.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 08.21.13 at 02:24 PM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:01 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    RUSSIA-FUNDED TV NETWORK KICKS REPORTER OFF AFTER HE USES SEGMENT TO PROTEST ANTI-GAY LAWS THEN ALLEGEDLY DROPS HIM OFF ‘ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD’

Aug. 21, 2013 1:20pm Madeleine Morgenstern

A reporter who was supposed to go on the Kremlin-owned Russia Today news network to discuss Bradley Manning’s sentencing instead used the opportunity to protest Russia’s new anti-gay law on Wednesday.

“Being here on a Kremlin-funded propaganda network, I’m going to wear my gay pride suspenders and going to speak out against the horrific anti-gay legislation that Vladimir Putin has signed into law,” Jamie Kirchick said, pulling on rainbow suspenders on camera from his location in Stolkholm.

When one of the anchors tried to get him back on the topic of Manning, Kirchick said, “I’m not really interested in talking about Bradley Manning.”

“I’m interested in talking about the horrific environment of homophobia in Russia right now and to let the Russian gay people know that they have friends and allies in solidarity from people all over the world and that we’re not going to be silent in the face of this horrific repression that is perpetrated…by your paymasters, by Vladimir Putin,” he said. “That’s what I’m here to talk about.”

He turned on the anchor, asking how “as a journalist how you can go to sleep at night” while seeing the harassment that journalists in Russia face.

“Everyone who works for this network should be ashamed of yourself,” he said.

The anchor again tried to steer the conversation back to Manning.

“You have 24 hours a day to lie about the United States and to ignore what’s happening in Russia, you have 24 hours a day to do that, I am going to take my two minutes and tell people the truth,” Kirchick said.

Shortly thereafter, Kirchick vanished from the program’s split screen, according to the Washington Free Beacon. A host later apologized for “any confusion caused”: “We invited a guest on to discuss the fate of the whistleblower, but he used the chance to discuss his views on other unrelated issues and that’s why we had to take him off air.”

After his appearance, Kirchick tweeted that RT apparently canceled its car service for him.

“True fact: @RT_com just called taxi company that took me to studio to drop me off on the side of the highway on way to Stockholm airport,” he posted.

Prior to going on the air, Kirchick had tweeted, “Need a rainbow flag in #Stockholm, fast. Can anyone help?”

Surely he expected this. He trolled them basically. Like Dick said... He got what he asked for.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Is that really the issue, that he is no longer with Russia Today? It seems to me that he would be smart enough to know he was a goner going into the rant. I say bravo to him for standing up, whether I agree substantively with the treatment of the underlying issue or not.

I know that I'm concerned with what we're being fed and what the authorities are doing to promote or to stop the news we get. We have authorities in the US going after journalists, US citizens, for doing their jobs, e.g. Glenn Greenwald. That's frightening.