Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Welfare pays more than work in most states

Looking for a good paying job? Well, look no further.

No, really, stop looking. In 35 states, welfare benefits pay more than a minimum wage job, according to a new study by the libertarian Cato Institute, and in 13 states welfare pays more than $15 per hour.

“One of the single best ways to climb out of poverty is taking a job, but as long as welfare provides a better standard of living than an entry-level job, recipients will continue to choose it over work,” said Michael Tanner, senior policy analyst and co-author of the study.

The study is an updated version of one Tanner put out in 1995 that estimated the full value of welfare benefits packages across the states. The 1995 study found that such tax-free welfare benefits greatly exceeded the poverty level and “their dollar value was greater than the amount of take-home income a worker would receive from an entry-level job.”

Despite efforts to curb welfare spending, many welfare programs and benefits have continued to outpace the income that many workers can receive for working an entry-level job, which disincentivizes work, according to the study.

“The current welfare system provides such a high level of benefits that it acts as a disincentive for work,” reads the study. “Welfare currently pays more than a minimum-wage job in 35 states, even after accounting for the Earned Income Tax Credit, and in 13 states it pays more than $15 per hour.”

According to the study, the federal government funds 126 separate programs designed to support low-income earners. Seventy-two of these programs provide cash or in-kind benefits to recipients. This is on top of additional welfare programs operated by state and local governments.

Welfare recipients in Hawaii get the most benefits, according to Tanner, at $29.13 per hour — or $60,590 pre-tax income annually. However, the state’s minimum wage is only $7.25 per hour, according to the Labor Department. Hawaiians on welfare also earn 167 percent of the median salary in the state, which is only $36,275.

The District of Columbia, Massachusetts and Connecticut have the next more generous welfare benefits.

D.C. welfare recipients can earn $24.43 per hour. In Massachusetts they can get $24.30 per hour. In Connecticut welfare recipients can receive $21.33 per hour.

“If Congress and state legislatures are serious about reducing welfare dependence and rewarding work, they should consider strengthening welfare work requirements, removing exemptions, and narrowing the definition of work,” says the study.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/20/st...#ixzz2cc5CcSe8
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 2,382 Times in 1,486 Posts

Premium Member

Always wanted to live in Hawaii. Book um Dano!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just the way those politicians wanted it! Of course they'll keep voting Democrat! I would too.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Sickeneing, but as informative and truthful as this is, I would rather just not see this type of shit anymore, this world has a vicious way of dragging people down. I think I need a Links break.
    Last edited by Dick Punch; 08.21.13 at 08:33 AM.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:46 PM
    Liked 795 Times in 431 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    Sickeneing, but as informative and truthful as this is, I would rather just not see this type of shit anymore, this world has a vicious way of dragging people down. I think I need a Links break.
    Take two trips to the "Ah, Yeah, Beautiful Girls!" thread and call me in the morning.

TK

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:03 PM
    Liked 6,669 Times in 3,696 Posts

We have the same issue here with welfare benefits. If you're on welfare you get your medication, glasses, etc paid for. If you work a min wage job you're on your own. It creates an issue where you're almost better off not working if you're not gonna have a good paying job. Its a terrible message for govt to be sending.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    We have the same issue here with welfare benefits. If you're on welfare you get your medication, glasses, etc paid for. If you work a min wage job you're on your own. It creates an issue where you're almost better off not working if you're not gonna have a good paying job. Its a terrible message for govt to be sending.
    Yes, so the question is why do they continue to do so and why do we allow it?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Yes, so the question is why do they continue to do so and why do we allow it?
    I think the public starts with good intentions. The thought off "we have to take of the kids" when dealing with those on welfare. At some point it then becomes a political issue of "do we take food out of the mouths of the poor?" when cuts are proposed. And the media will always hammer those who propose these kinds of cuts.

I really think we need a complete rework of the welfare system where the govt only offers money to those incapable of working (and this should be a tiny percentage of society). Everyone else should be offered a job doing something at just under the min wage. It'll then be up to people to choose whether or not to take the gig. I'd be willing to bet that most people will find another job rather than to take that job. And they'd choose to not have kids on that sort of income. I really think one of the biggest issues facing society today are people having kids long before they can afford to. This sets off a thousand different problems.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

It's a masterful plan by Obama and his scumbag cronies. Give the handouts and you'll never lose the votes. It's not about doing the right thing, it's about the votes and control. Fucking despise that man and party.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

I speculate most of those folks are too lazy to vote.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

I think the public starts with good intentions. The thought off "we have to take of the kids" when dealing with those on welfare. At some point it then becomes a political issue of "do we take food out of the mouths of the poor?" when cuts are proposed. And the media will always hammer those who propose these kinds of cuts.

I really think we need a complete rework of the welfare system where the govt only offers money to those incapable of working (and this should be a tiny percentage of society). Everyone else should be offered a job doing something at just under the min wage. It'll then be up to people to choose whether or not to take the gig. I'd be willing to bet that most people will find another job rather than to take that job. And they'd choose to not have kids on that sort of income. I really think one of the biggest issues facing society today are people having kids long before they can afford to. This sets off a thousand different problems.
    Jill Stein, the American Green Party candidate from 2012, was calling for a plan to have able-bodied people work for their "welfare" payments. I don't know the details, but it probably made more sense than just paying people money for nothing, espcially while the country drowns in debt.

TK

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I speculate most of those folks are too lazy to vote.
    No they're not. That vote is their meal ticket.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    Jill Stein, the American Green Party candidate from 2012, was calling for a plan to have able-bodied people work for their "welfare" payments. I don't know the details, but it probably made more sense than just paying people money for nothing, espcially while the country drowns in debt.

TK
    i don't believe in working for welfare. I'm not a fan in saying "we were giving you this for free and now we want you to work for it". I do believe in "we shouldn't have been giving you anything for free all this time so we're gonna stop now BUT if you're really interested in working we have jobs available - feel free to choose one". I just think there is a value in kids seeing their parents work. It's habit forming. My father is retired and still works because the company needs him so he goes in every so often. I started my first job at 12 and have never not had a job. Same is true for brother and sister. It wouldn't seem "normal" to us to not be employed doing something. If my kids by the time they're in their early teens aren't interested in getting a job then my wife and I have probably messed up. It doesn't matter that their education money would have long ago been stashed away for them, I want them to eager to earn money. In any economy the most important part of getting and keeping a job is merely putting forth an effort. Employers are very slow to get rid of people who care.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

i don't believe in working for welfare. I'm not a fan in saying "we were giving you this for free and now we want you to work for it". I do believe in "we shouldn't have been giving you anything for free all this time so we're gonna stop now BUT if you're really interested in working we have jobs available - feel free to choose one". I just think there is a value in kids seeing their parents work. It's habit forming.
    Yeah, funny how that works. You see mom and pops work. You see and hear how the grandfathers worked and busted hours working. And it seems to be bred down to us. Yet, some "types" don't get it. And never will. You can't change stripes on a tiger. It will always be there. And like an and old Indian women once told me, "that dog is bred to do that, so don't cry." Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

i don't believe in working for welfare. I'm not a fan in saying "we were giving you this for free and now we want you to work for it". I do believe in "we shouldn't have been giving you anything for free all this time so we're gonna stop now BUT if you're really interested in working we have jobs available - feel free to choose one". I just think there is a value in kids seeing their parents work. It's habit forming. My father is retired and still works because the company needs him so he goes in every so often. I started my first job at 12 and have never not had a job. Same is true for brother and sister. It wouldn't seem "normal" to us to not be employed doing something. If my kids by the time they're in their early teens aren't interested in getting a job then my wife and I have probably messed up. It doesn't matter that their education money would have long ago been stashed away for them, I want them to eager to earn money. In any economy the most important part of getting and keeping a job is merely putting forth an effort. Employers are very slow to get rid of people who care.
    I don't think we'll ever rework our system, because the ruling class benefits politically too much. I think I misunderstood your argument, but if you're saying we should just NOT pay people who are able to work, I would be willing to try it. Such a thing would never pass in the US, I don't think. Not because VOTERS would reject it, but because the powers that be can use the current system to manipulate the electorate. That tail is wagging the dog down here in almost every case...

TK