Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 02:08 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Default When the hell did I grow up?

I was just thinking about this the other day. In the last 10 years, I have gotten married, changed jobs, bought a house, had a kid, and dare I say it become more "responsible". How the hell did this happen?

Back in 2003 I was living in a studio apartment, out every night of the week, without a care in the world. Crazy i tell you... Now I am 38 and not that I would trade places with my 28 year old self, but it's insane.

But some things have remained a constant:

1. My love for good music like VH, Aerosmith, Led Zep and etc.
    2. I STILL am hooked on video games and etc.
    3. Skiing which I still do a lot of, and hitting up the mountains as often as I can during ski season

Wonder what things will be like in another 10 years when I am ... gulp ... 48

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 1,882 Times in 1,099 Posts

it's amazing how fast time flies as we get older. I've changed careers, had a son, lost a son, lost a father reconnected with a ton of my friends but my 2 best friends from HS are totally out of reach (one commited suicide and the other is in a really strange place). I'm in a good spot right now but life is just alot different. I kind of refuse to grow up, I don't really want to admit that I'm 40, I still "THINK" I can do anything I used to be able to do but who knows?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:45 AM
    Liked 18,100 Times in 8,942 Posts

You just have to learn to take enjoyment in different things during different phases of your life.

If you were thirty eight and still acting like you were twenty no one would want to be around you.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    You just have to learn to take enjoyment in different things during different phases of your life.

If you were thirty eight and still acting like you were twenty no one would want to be around you.
    Very true, I have a friend from HS, who I don't spend much time hanging out with anymore since he is still acting like he is 21... Not a bad guy, but just nothing there. In one breath I think it is cool that I have "made it" but in the other it's like damn! It really began to sink in with the whole 20th high school reunion thingy approaching.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

I can relate to all of this; the last ten years have had SO much packed into them, it's bonkers! I've had a child; got divorced; am just about to embark on a degree course totally unrelated to anything I've done before; am starting a new career; I have a new man, and new home - but I like to think I'm still the same person I was, in some ways anyway...Certainly, I've kept the same best mates I've had since the age of 9...We've grown up together, often encountering similar life-experiences as we've gone on, something which has kept us all very close...Maybe it's different for girls in that respect, I don't know...
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I hear ya!

In 1997 I lost my dad and got married 2 months after.
    Had my son in 1999
    Moved to Cali in 2005
    Realized I wasn't in love anymore also (wife cheated) and got divorced in 2010.
    Spent a couple years living free.
    Got married again 2 months ago.

Much happier place now, have a spouse who loves sports too!
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    I hear ya!

In 1997 I lost my dad and got married 2 months after.
    Had my son in 1999
    Moved to Cali in 2005
    Realized I wasn't in love anymore also (wife cheated) and got divorced in 2010.
    Spent a couple years living free.
    Got married again 2 months ago.

Much happier place now, have a spouse who loves sports too!
    Nice! I have been with my wife now almost 4 years (will be 4 in october). I gotta say I am really digging life right now though. But all in all sounds like good things are happening to you too!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:21 AM
    Liked 4,792 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

This thread reminds me of what has happened to me over the past three weeks. When I was 28-32, I played in various sand volleyball leagues. I also had a friend who had a grass court in his back yard with lights and regulation height. We played all the time in the summer up until fall.

So anyways flash forward to this summer. Two friends of mine needed a male sub for their volleyball teams. I mentioned I used to play so I have played the last three week. It feels like I just played tackle football the following morning. My shoulder hurts, my gimp knee is barking and I limp around like Fred Sanford. I used to do this 3-4 times a week and never even thought about it. Doing it once at 44 is a lot different.

Getting old sucks.

Anyway 5 years ago I was separated. Was out drinking about 3 -4 nights a week. Having casual sex and living for the moment. Now I have been remarried, have three step kids (all adults), a dog who needs my constant attention and a co-owner of my wife's retail store. Thank god I still have my man cave

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian View Post
    I was just thinking about this the other day. In the last 10 years, I have gotten married, changed jobs, bought a house, had a kid, and dare I say it become more "responsible". How the hell did this happen?Back in 2003 I was living in a studio apartment, out every night of the week, without a care in the world. Crazy i tell you... Now I am 38 and not that I would trade places with my 28 year old self, but it's insane.

But some things have remained a constant:

1. My love for good music like VH, Aerosmith, Led Zep and etc.
    2. I STILL am hooked on video games and etc.
    3. Skiing which I still do a lot of, and hitting up the mountains as often as I can during ski season

Wonder what things will be like in another 10 years when I am ... gulp ... 48
    I will let you know when it happens. Yippe ca yay motherfuckers!
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:23 AM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

In a fashion similar to Ziggy, I grew up last Monday, August 5th as I flew "Superman Style" over my bike handlebars midway thru my morning ride around Edisto Island where my family & many of our close friends were staying for the week. Alas, the man of steel I'm not. Tony Bennett left his heart in san Francisco. I left my hyde on the bike path at Edisto Beach. Road rash on both knees & hands, several fingers, left shoulder and pec, left side of face & chin. One fingernail ripped 3/4 off (ouch), both wrists & elbows as well as my ego severely bruised. Plus I had to ride 2 1/2 miles back to the house & explain to my lovely bride what happened. Long story short, I'm on the mend, vacation was still a blast (friends in need are friends indeed). Gravity is a cruel mistress to be subject to.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:46 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

My herniated discs remind me every now and than that I'm not getting younger. I use to play ice hockey twice a week with games starting at 10-11pm. Now, don't do that. I'm just glad my back holds up when I wrestle with my 7 and 4 yr old boys. Hell, last duck hunting season, I pulled an all-niter and I suffered for more than 2 days. In college, I could take a nap that afternoon, go drinking that night and be fine in the morning. We're not getting any younger.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
    My herniated discs remind me every now and than that I'm not getting younger. I use to play ice hockey twice a week with games starting at 10-11pm. Now, don't do that. I'm just glad my back holds up when I wrestle with my 7 and 4 yr old boys. Hell, last duck hunting season, I pulled an all-niter and I suffered for more than 2 days. In college, I could take a nap that afternoon, go drinking that night and be fine in the morning. We're not getting any younger.
    If you have a belly, lose it...your back will be 100x better.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

This thread scares me a little. I'll bet a lot of my friends make fun of me for not growing up.

Well...can't be helped. I gotta get through this life my way.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Was only 2 years ago I couldn't wait to head out the door on Friday night to bitch-slap my liver with some co-workers, or count down the days when I'd hop on a plane to Texas to party with some peeps for a 3-day rager.

Now all I want to do on Friday night is to kills the lights, light a few candles, and chill with a classic Trek episode after putting LL Jr. to bed.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

I don't usually like to get personal online but I will say that I have had to do a helluva lot of growing up. I was stuck in a perpetual lifestyle of immaturity, (which I'm still trying to rid myself of ) and only caring about myself. It sounds clichéd but I was saved BIG TIME and at the right moment in my life. Drink, drugs, whores, and chasing things that were fleeting took up way to much time and space in my life. Leaving one's own country to live a new life in another and with a ready-made family, will make one grow up fast! It's been a baptism of fire for sure but it's worth it.