Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Unchained
    Last Online

11.11.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default My Custom Franky

My Custom Franky was purchased through Atomicpunk91. Here are the issues with it and I am only posting the issues because the seller stated he will not refund my money and I am stuck with it. It was custom made out of blanks of wood. The neck came out terrible, not even a straight edge down either side of the neck, the radius of the neck isn't the same circumference all the way around. It has high and low spots. The tuners didn't even sit flush on the back of the headstock, and were not equally spaced apart. The headstock itself was very uneven and cut wrong. Meaning after the R2 nut was installed it is supposed to gradually curve to where the string retainer would go. His curve was deep so when I restrung the guitar the string guide popped right off even after screwing it back in. It would not stay in. The headstock was not even either from the top of the headstock down to where the curve starts, it went from thin to thinner meaning he cut the headstock way to thin. Now on to the neck, it is bowed, I tried adjusting either way and it won't change, and the action is very very high. The neck plate to secure the neck on was also crooked, 2 of the Floyd Rose fine tuners were so hard to move making tuning difficult. So all in all I have a Brand New to me Custom Frankie that is unplayable, and honestly built way off of Ed's specs, and it is all apart because I supplied all the parts excluding the neck and body. So now I am out all the money in parts I paid, because what do I do with them now? And the 950.00 it costs me to have it painted. So now what can I do? I don't believe this is good business, the only thing he offered to do was make me a new neck, why would I want that when the first one is terrible. He sent me a pic of what the action looked like when it left, how do I know that is mine, when you build these for other people? Completely not fair, and to me he is wrecking it for people who are considering having guitars built through here. He said it is sold as is, but nowhere in any of our e mails back and forth was I informed of that, and I have all the e mails. This is the second Franky I have had built from an ALLEGED CUSTOM GUITAR builder that builds like crap. And he is telling me he charged me half of what it normally costs, you quoted me the price of 950.00. Actually I sent you 1050.00 because you put all the parts on for me and set it up. Then he said he built it a lot quicker than the 4-6 months it normally takes. And he is the one that stated it would be done in July when I go on vacation. He started it in May so now it sits apart on my kitchen table, and is useless to me. Anybody want to buy a Franky body and neck? Don't mean to put this on here but I think if you do bad work, people shouldn't just be stuck with it. And if it is a sold as is project, state it in the build quote. Otherwise the person is just getting ripped off. Here is a picture of the headstock to show how deep the curve was cut after the nut putting way to much pressure on the string guide
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	2211  
    Last edited by MeanStreet 5150; 08.13.13 at 05:35 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

To be fair to Atomicpunk91 he did a hell of a job on my Frankenbass. Nothing was wrong with the workmanship in anyway. It's too bad you had a different experience. I understand your frustration but like you said the neck was your biggest issue and he offered to replace it. You said you supplied the hardware so the floyd tuners are your problem right?

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Uh no he installed the brand new 1984 Floyd Rose and all worked fine before I sent it. And if he built such a terribly wrong neck in the first place, why would I want another terribly built neck. If I am not happy with how he built the neck in anyway, geeee yes please send me another one. But hey you have your opinion

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MeanStreet 5150 View Post
    Uh no he installed the brand new 1984 Floyd Rose and all worked fine before I sent it. And if he built such a terribly wrong neck in the first place, why would I want another terribly built neck. If I am not happy with how he built the neck in anyway, geeee yes please send me another one. But hey you have your opinion
    Yup and obviously have yours. Have a good one.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Oh I will because not one mention was made to say as is no refunds. So I will be getting my money back

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Oh I will because not one mention was made to say as is no refunds. So I will be getting my money back
    If he said you aren't, then I don't think you are.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Your probably right, seems people don't stick up for the members that get ripped off. But hey it's cool, I will have a real builder fix it. Not an inexperienced wanna be. But hey it is what it is

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

Well it's good to see you brought yourself to terms in just a few hours. Your making progress.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Whatever man, the only thing I came to my senses on is that he is a scam artist. And in the long run he will get his. The only person trustworthy I have dealt with is EVH NYC, now he is an honest guy and does great custom work. He will fix it to standards

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

Whatever man, the only thing I came to my senses on is that he is a scam artist. And in the long run he will get his. The only person trustworthy I have dealt with is EVH NYC, now he is an honest guy and does great custom work. He will fix it to standards
    We'll have to agree to disagree on whether or not he is a scam artist. Like I said, he built a frankenbass for me and the entire process went very smoothly with great communication. I will also be working with him in the near future on another project and I have no reservations at all in doing so. It is good that you found someone you feel you can trust to do the work for you. Good Luck.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks man in the end, eventually everything works out. I am going to buy a Franky neck from Musikraft, but I don't know if mine is a Fender bolt patter or Kramer. Because there is a beautiful already reliced Musikraft neck on fleabay (261242025092) with nut, tuners and all but it has Fender bolt pattern. I don't know what mine is. If I order the wrong one, then what. I can take a picture of the bolt pattern and maybe you will know. I bought a reliced evh neckplate for the guitar, and I would imagine that is what he used as a template for the holes. So I will post a pic of that as well. Maybe you can, or someone else can help with which type of neck bolt pattern is designed for. Check out the neck tell me what you think.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

You could always replug the holes in the neck if it doesn't fit your guitar. You only need a couple of dowes & some glue.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I took my banana neck off my 5150 relic and the holes don't match. But the holes are the same distance apart in all directions. So I think it is just where they are drilled on the neck. Is it easy to fill holes? Because it already has holes filled on it. Which I don't know why if it is new. Any help is greatly accepted

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I took my banana neck off my 5150 relic and the holes don't match. But the holes are the same distance apart in all directions. So I think it is just where they are drilled on the neck. Is it easy to fill holes? Because it already has holes filled on it. Which I don't know why if it is new. Any help is greatly accepted
    It's pretty easy. Just a length of some 1/4" or 3/8" dia. round dowel of the same wood type. I prefer the dowel that doesn't already have the typically deep and numerous relief cuts in it like the little packs of ready made dowels that are sold for carpentry/furniture joinery(which I find are far too many for a joint under the stresses of a guitar, plus they look a little sloppy), and I use a fine craft saw to cut my own....usually 6 to 8 reliefs a 1/16th" deep which will allow glue and air to disperse as they are tapped or pressed in carefully, and you still have a good amount of wood to wood contact with an almost invisible repair line. Then I cut off and sand the remainder down flush. The dowel and the saw can be found at any well stocked hobby store, such as one that sells model trains, or scratch model boat building hobbies. You can find everything from basswood to maple stock dowel in them. For glue, use TiteBond wood glue. It's the best for guitars.
    Last edited by we die young; 08.13.13 at 10:35 AM.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks the neck is made of highly figured birdseye maple. Here is the fleabay item number 261242025092 Tell me what you think it has already been doweled once, and I dont know if those holes will let me mount without mods