Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Meanstreet 5150

Couple suggestions for you on your guitar and posting needs...

(1) Focus your post to the right area. We'll be glad to help with setup issues, tips, guitar questions, etc. However, you need to post them in the appropriate area. These aren't questions for the gear pics section/for sale section.

(2) Be careful with publicly bickering with forum members. It makes you, and your post, to be viewed as a nuisance. We're a pretty friendly group and tend to be very welcoming to new members. That said, obnoxious posting and bickering tend to be ignored or ridiculed.

(3) Google searches can answer alot of your questions regarding pricing, adjustments, repairs, etc. We're willing to help, but sometimes all it takes is a quick Google search.

(4) Take a look at this site for truss rod adjustments. http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0...t=3&xsr=113446

Don't hesitate to pm me if you need more help. I'll be glad to walk you thru truss rod adjustments etc if you're still having trouble.

This isn't meant to be a mean or negative post. Most of us are willing to help out. In fact we want to help. That said, a little focus/attention to detail will go along way.

Best,

Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Here's a few more links...

https://www.google.com/search?q=trus...w=1366&bih=596

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/r.../truss-rod.php

Also take a look at this book... How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_p...ay_Great!.html

Again, this isn't meant to be mean. It's to help you with your guitar and interaction on the guitar room forum.

Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Unchained
    Last Online

11.11.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I get you, but when you keep messaging the seller and they just ignore you it is frustrating. Anyway I removed the neck and turned the truss rod counter clockwise like I was told, and it came out of the neck so far and could not go back in the neck pocket. And the bow was still there, so I went clockwise and it turned as far as it could go, and the bow is still the same. So now what?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

You don't want to make large adjustments to the truss rod. Loosening or tightening all the way is not good for the neck or the truss rod. Small adjustments. It sounds as if your neck is bowing AWAY from the strings, creating HIGH action. If this is the case, you'll want to tighten the truss rod. I would do this with the neck on the guitar and strung to proper tension. There's lots of variables you'll be working with, but take a look at some of the sites I posted. See if you can determine which way your neck is going and what changes you can make.

GO SLOW. I know you get excited, but go slow.

As for a refund, etc...I would always suggest a setup on a new or used guitar. Yes, that's the business I'm in, but how I play my guitars may be different than how you play/prefer your guitars. A competent tech will set the guitar up for you and your playing style.

Some players feel comfortable setting up their equipment. Others don't. If you're having trouble, spend a little extra money and get the necessary setup. You'll be happy having the guitar back in playing condition and will forget all about your I phone case!!!

The neck can and will move due to weather/humidity/etc. Don't immediately fault the builder. Make sure you've explored all the things you can do to make the guitar playable before faulting the builder.

Again, GO SLOW. You'll get it right. Just GO SLOW.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So put strings back on it, and tune it to e flat. Then try and tighten the truss rod? It is really hard to get at unless I take the neck off

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

And just a quick note the guitar was sent to me set up

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

With the heel adjustment you'll want to string up, not to pitch, but put the strings on. Loosen the neck screws and tighten the truss rod. Just a bit. Tighten screws, tune to pitch and check. Repeat till you get it. And even if it is setup when shipped, it can move around. It's not uncommon to have to re-setup a guitar that was shipped.

Don't forget to research those sites I sent you. Plan your attack, focusing on the end result.

Again, GO SLOW!
    Last edited by A&Z Guitar Repair; 08.12.13 at 02:03 PM.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I think it needs to be shimmed as well. I am probably better off taking it to someone I think? Thanks for all your help. These Franky necks are standard fender neck spacing correct? Thinking off ordering a musikraft neck, something that is not built from scratch. Or just send it to you to fix.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Have your tech look at it. You'll save money in the long run. Check for a tech in your area, ask friends, stores, etc. A little research will go along way.

If you take it to a tech, have him/her watch how you play. How do you hit the strings? Do you have a heavy touch? These are things that come into play when setting a guitar up.

Before you run off ordering a new neck/slagging the old neck, make sure it can't be adjusted to your playing style. A new neck will need to be adjusted/shimmed too. Exhaust your options with the equipment you have before spending monies on new equipment. Research those sites I sent you.

I know I keep saying this, but GO SLOW. A little patience can go along way in avoiding headaches and financial issues.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

That is why I am stepping away from it today, thanks man

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Here is my new problem I went to restring it to do the work on the neck. And the string guide after the nut popped off, after looking at the neck. The slow descent after the nut on his neck is cut wayyyyy to deep, and the string guide can't handle the pressure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	2210  

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A&Z Guitar Repair View Post
    Couple suggestions for you on your guitar and posting needs...

(1) Focus your post to the right area. We'll be glad to help with setup issues, tips, guitar questions, etc. However, you need to post them in the appropriate area. These aren't questions for the gear pics section/for sale section.

(2) Be careful with publicly bickering with forum members. It makes you, and your post, to be viewed as a nuisance. We're a pretty friendly group and tend to be very welcoming to new members. That said, obnoxious posting and bickering tend to be ignored or ridiculed.

(3) Google searches can answer alot of your questions regarding pricing, adjustments, repairs, etc. We're willing to help, but sometimes all it takes is a quick Google search.

(4) Take a look at this site for truss rod adjustments. http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0...t=3&xsr=113446

Don't hesitate to pm me if you need more help. I'll be glad to walk you thru truss rod adjustments etc if you're still having trouble.

This isn't meant to be a mean or negative post. Most of us are willing to help out. In fact we want to help. That said, a little focus/attention to detail will go along way.

Best,

Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair
    Yes. This.

I'm going to close this thread since Meanstreet 5150 started a thread specifically for his guitar issues: http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/my-c...ky-t57814.html.

In general, guys, try and keep the sticky threads as matter-of-fact as possible. There doesn't need to be a lot of discussion in the 'For Sale' or 'Gear Pics' threads (especially since we now have the 'Like' option). Some things can be taken to PM (like questions about an item for sale). The rule we usually follow for gear and threads is this: If it's an original, custom-build piece, go ahead and give it its own thread. If it's your newest axe, amp, etc., post it in the 'Gear Pics' sticky.