Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:36 AM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Default Craig Goldy Discusses Working With DLR

GUITARIST CRAIG GOLDY DISCUSSES WORKING WITH DIO DISCIPLES, DIO AND DAVID LEE ROTH

Songfacts: You also wrote a song with David Lee Roth (Lady Luck from A Little Ain’t Enough).

Craig: Yeah. He was a great guy. It actually came from a failure, which often happens. Me and David Isley from Giuffria were working on a project, and Geffen Records had given us some money to go into the studio. We wrote some songs and then they passed on it, so I sent those songs to Warner Brothers to see if maybe one of these songs might be used for another project or band, and it sat around for a couple of years.

Next thing I know I get a call from David Lee Roth at my home. He goes, “Hey, Dave Roth here. Is this Craig? Hey, I liked your shit, man. Can we do some more? Have you got any more?” I’m like, “Yeah, I’ve got tons of stuff.” “What about Wednesday?” It was Monday. I go, “Yeah.” I didn’t have anything. [Laughs] So I just scrambled. I went and bought his solo albums. I think mine was the third. And so I didn’t duplicate. Because some guys, you never know, you accidentally do something similar and they’ll, you know. So I made sure that none of the stuff he did with Steve Vai or any of that stuff was similar. Not putting myself in the same category as Steve Vai, just didn’t want to accidentally reproduce something that he’s already done.

So I came up with a couple of cool riffs, and then showed up at his house with Bob Ezrin, who worked with everybody. But at the time it was the Pink Floyd thing that got me [Ezrin co-produced Pink Floyd's The Wall]. I was like, “Wow, David Lee Roth and Bob Ezrin!”

I was playing him some stuff and he stops the tape and he goes, “That’s cool, man, that’s great. Let’s do that.” So he would have me come to his house and play the ideas, and his band would be there and they’d learn my stuff and rehearse it for him to record. We wrote a bunch of songs and I thought what he did was really smart. He wrote about 25 songs and then recorded each and every one of them, demoed them off. That’s one other hurdle that a lot of people miss, is that you write a great song, and then when you record it, something happens, and it doesn’t come out as special as you think it’s going to for whatever reason. So he got that process out of the way: whatever rose to the top, he used, regardless. I thought that was really smart. I’m sure a lot of people do that, but I didn’t know that process at the time, and I was just going through my thing at the time learning all those songs and stuff.

So we spent some time together. We became kind of friends, and he’d invite me out to do stuff and we’d hang out at his house afterwards and talk. He was a great guy, and he was very polite and very funny. He was definitely “David Lee Roth.” That was not a cartoon character he created for his stage presence. That was just who he was. But he was very smart and caring behind the scenes.

Read more at Songfacts.

http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interv..._goldy_of_dio/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts

Dream Evil

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.25.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 157 Times in 68 Posts

Has anyone (outside of the Van Halen brothers, of course) who has worked with Dave ever had anything bad to say about him?

Maybe I'm forgetting something but it seems like most people walk away impressed. I'm sure the guy could be a pain but he seems like he's pretty disciplined and professional when it comes to songwriting.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 79 Times in 38 Posts

Craig Goldy is a class act

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gman6 View Post
    Has anyone (outside of the Van Halen brothers, of course) who has worked with Dave ever had anything bad to say about him?

Maybe I'm forgetting something but it seems like most people walk away impressed. I'm sure the guy could be a pain but he seems like he's pretty disciplined and professional when it comes to songwriting.
    answr to your question....Sam. haha..kiddin.
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

I didn't even know that DLR worked with Bob Ezrin until recently. It would be cool if that stuff was leaked online.

Here is an article link from another one of DLR's rarely mentioned collaberators. Steve Hunter, best known from Alice Cooper.

http://www.metal-rules.com/metalnews...-lee-roth-etc/

Just read this old one for the first time with Monty Byrom, who also was contacted by Dave in the same manner as Craig Goldie back then. I guess Dave was running dry on new songwriting ideas at the time. Most everything before was credited to him and VH.

http://www.rotharmy.com/mb.shtml

So far as anyone having anything bad to say about working with DLR, I guess there was a falling out with Bob Ezrin, as they were recording A Little Ain't Enough, then he got Bob Rock to produce. Before that, Billy Sheehan wasn't too happy with Skyscraper. Here is a recent review article.

http://mikeladano.com/2013/06/28/rev...yscraper-1988/
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 08.12.13 at 10:53 PM.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 18,066 Times in 8,926 Posts

DLR has admitted in interviews that he can't write a full song all on his own, that he needs a writing partner, so I wouldn't necessarily take it as the songwriting well being dry, he just didn't haver anyone in his band at that point that he was probably comfortable writing with.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 12:05 PM
    Liked 1,878 Times in 1,097 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gman6 View Post

Billy Sheehan said some pretty nasty things about Dave when they parted company back in 88ish, things like he understood the vh bros and stuff like that. I just remember reading it back then I have no links to back it up.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Sheehan was pissed off that he got pretty much cut out of the creative process of the band. He was the first one Dave hired and thought it was going to be more of a collaboration than it was, I can see why he was pissed about it.

I think he has mellowed on it recently however.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mikey is really a class act.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:36 AM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Sheehan was pissed off that he got pretty much cut out of the creative process of the band. He was the first one Dave hired and thought it was going to be more of a collaboration than it was, I can see why he was pissed about it.

I think he has mellowed on it recently however.
    Yeah, there is no animosity between them.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.25.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 157 Times in 68 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    Billy Sheehan said some pretty nasty things about Dave when they parted company back in 88ish, things like he understood the vh bros and stuff like that. I just remember reading it back then I have no links to back it up.
    That's the problem with virtuoso bass players ... it's great that they can shred it up but sometimes you need them to just shut up and groove lol

Sheehan is more that capable (obviously) as I've heard him reign it in and play simple and in the pocket in lots of settings. I always thought ditching Mike Anthony to make room for Sheehan in Van Halen back in the 80's would have ended poorly as well.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

If I'm remembering things correctly, Kilgore and some of the later DLR band members have taken shots at Dave over money. To go along with Sheehan's comments about the note police.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    If I'm remembering things correctly, Kilgore and some of the later DLR band members have taken shots at Dave over money. To go along with Sheehan's comments about the note police.
    I remember that, but then I remember other guys like Ray Luzier saying DLR treated them like kings, that everything was first class.

Who knows.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

News flash. Everything you have heard about people whether good or bad isn't indicative of the true person. Bands are relationships and even though one person may be in the right more often, nobody is perfect. Yes that includes the Class Act Mike Anthony and now DLR.

Billy seems to be an alright dude and when I am fairly certain that Dave's ego was at its peak during Skyscraper.