Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.27.17 @ 03:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Who (and how) should I contact at the EBMM forums about a mod on a power trip?

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, and if not, I apologize. I had a rather nightmarish experience over at the EBMM forums about two months ago due to a couple of the mods using their "power" to get Sterling Ball whipped into a froth over what amounted to a misunderstanding (along with my tendency to "help things along" once they started to spin out ).

After I was banned "for life" ("date ban will be lifted: NEVER"), they crafted new posting rules...NONE of which would've resulted in a life-ban for my "transgressions." Anyway, if anyone has an email address of someone to contact, please PM it to me. I would like to attempt to resolve this as professionally as possible, but if that seems unlikely, I am not above posting the "offending" thread here, along with my email exchanges with their mod.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

So, tell us my son, what did you do to be banned?

HH<------nothing but the, "meat and potatoes" of the story, please---------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

From what I understand it doesn't actually take much to get banned over there. I've got years of forum moderating experience under my belt and I could probably get myself banned over there.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Honestly? Well...I posted a bass in their "For Sale" thread that included an eBay link. There former rules stated that the listing could "not consist of merely an eBay link." I revised my post to include a detailed description, embedded pictures, and an eBay link. I was ordered by a mod to take it down AFTER he failed for 3 days to answer my questions as to whether my adjustments were appropriate, and was able to reference an earlier "For Sale" post where I really did post "merely an eBay link," and was TOLD by a different mod to add pictures, description, and price, and it would be allowed to stand.

That was when I posted a new thread asking what the board's accepted interpretation was of the "eBay link" rule, particularly when they also have an "eBay/ Craigslist Treasures" forum where members are ENCOURAGED to post "merely eBay links" to EBMM stuff that they've found on those sites. Sterling came along, the two mods who were scolding me piled on, and next thing I know, Sterling is complaining about me "using his bandwidth" (something that he brings up fairly frequently over there...maybe he should have it looked at by a doctor) to second-guess his hand-picked mods.

Here's the thread, for your enjoyment:

http://forums.ernieball.com/music-ma...cl-thread.html

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,581 Times in 4,936 Posts

Wow what a bunch of dickheads. That was nuts. Is Big Poppa Sterling Ball? Haha he was a total ass too for no reason. Wtf? Yes Mr. Ball we understand you rule the universe, but make sure you tell us again. If he doesn't want to be involved in the functions of the board, why does he even post and talk about board policies? What a total tool.

He acts like that board is that big of a deal. Give me a break.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Sterling Ball is a piece of crap and his forum is a strokefest for his ego...

Sent from two cans and a string using Tapatalk 2
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Wow did that escalate for no reason. You did nothing wrong from what I could see. Those guys were total d-bags.

I haven't seen mods on power trips like that since onefoot and Mike during the '07 tour.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You should see the emails I exchanged with one of the mods...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am s6275 (formerly) from the Music Man forum. My reason for contacting you is request reinstatement of my account at the message board, writing off last night's exchanges an the products of a series of unfortunate misunderstandings, and apologizing for my contributions to the environment that developed around my questions and my misunderstanding. Reading your blog, I have noted that we seem to have some things in common, best represented by our evangelization of the Music Man product. Several of my friends, acquaintances, audience members, and co-workers have purchased Music Man guitars and basses as a result of seeing, hearing, handling, and listening to me boast about the huge quality and minimal price discrepancies between these instruments, and those produced by Gibson, Fender, LTD, etc. My profession as a full-time music teacher has allowed me to provide recognition of the Music Man name to literally hundreds of students over my 20-year career. I have done this not because I am compensated by the company to do so, but because I encourage my students in all aspects of life to do research, investigate, and make the best choices. Without my efforts in this area, an alarming majority of my students wouldn't know there was anything BUT Gibson, Fender, LTD, etc. I accomplish this recognition passively by merely playing the instruments in class, letting them get their hands on them, and answering their questions. In classes, I have played my Axis, my loaded Super Sport, my SUB4 and SUB5, my SUB1 (sold), and my Sterling AX40D (recently purchased so that I could leave it at school without going into cardiac arrest worrying over it overnight).

This morning, I had hoped to clarify to Sterling that I was not personally "ordering" HIM to delete my For Sale post, but rather was unaware that I had the ability/ privileges to do so myself, and was hoping to draw moderator attention to the fact that my post needed to be deleted. Instead, I was greeted with this:

"You have been banned for the following reason:
    No reason was specified.
    Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

As I breathlessly tried to explain in the offending thread, my confusion about eBay links in For Sale posts was generated in response to my listing the sale of a guitar on the forum about 3 years ago which did in fact contain an eBay link ONLY. At that time, the moderator instructed me to add a price and a picture, and the listing was accepted although it included an eBay link. That experience contributed to my interpretation that "do not merely post an eBay link." And that is the bottom line.

If my posting of the thread questioning the policy was inappropriate, for that I also apologize. For someone who has been a member since
    2006, I tend to post relatively infrequently in comparison to others who have held 7+ year memberships. This is a result of my work schedule, my playing schedule, and my family. In short, I am not familiar with all of the mods when questions arise, but it is worth noting that I attempted to contact Rod Trussbroken via PM, and he was not willing to answer my question or address my confusion about the wholesale restriction on posting eBay links in the For Sale thread.

Thank you for your time. If there is anything else that can be done to address any remaining concerns you may have, please do not hesitate to contact me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting a pubic complaint thread poor behaviour on most forums. And you stated that you'd been around long enough to know how "the ropes". You refused a request to remove the link and explicitly stated that you were leaving it there to see it deleted. And you were responding directly to BP when asking for your post deleted. You came across as a pain in the ass causing trouble. Which is why you were banned.

Your apology and request is noted. If your ban is lifted (which I doubt) you'll be informed.

Best of luck

Thank you. And again...it was a question/ confusion based on a previous experience. The request to remove the link did not come from a moderator (to my knowledge), rather it was posted in my thread. With access to my account, I'd be happy to send you the relevant PMs, which demonstrate that my direct, private effort to get clarification were ignored prior to me reposting the bass in "For Sale."

Also, it was my impression it was you who banned me. If it was indeed Sterling who did, I guess my explanation and apology has fallen on deaf ears in your hands. Is there someone else I could contact?

Sterling requested it, I "pulled the trigger" having reviewed the thread.

Thank you for reinstating my account. Attached are screen shots of the private exchanges with **********. While he may not have been obliged to answer my question, as you will see, he never DID address my question with any clarity, rather repeating not to make my description an eBay link. In turn, and thinking I was in fully compliance, I reposted my item with a full and detailed description that also included my link to eBay. As you know, THIS listing was also removed, and thoroughly confused at that point, I posted the offending thread. I am not discounting the mistakes I personally made, but I am hoping to demonstrate the genesis of my confusion.

In conclusion, I still feel that the workers in the Music Man factories are responsible for the best guitars and basses available, hands down, but I can't say I still feel the same about Sterling, and I can't say that my former policy of "selling" Music Man's product to my family, friends, and students is one that I feel comfortable carrying on any longer. Yes, it's his company, and I get all that. I have never PM'ed him, never ranted about a problem with my MM instruments on "his" or another forum, and never attempted to "friend" him on Facebook. However, I will say that on other message boards, customer frustration or confusion is handled in an ENTIRELY different way than he handled my case, and my opinion of him as "the president of an international company" has been changed for the worse.

I don't know if these are comments worthy of banning, or not. Frankly, I didn't compose them with the slightest thought given to that aspect. However, I can assure you that from my end of things, they will remain between us. What you choose to do with them is your decision.

Thank you again for your consideration. If you have any additional concerns or comments, please don't hesitate to let me know. At this point, I have absolutely no intent to ever post on Sterling's board again, be it to answer a question, encourage a purchase, or otherwise. However, my reenabled access will allow me access to view the "forum exclusives," and I suppose leaves me the possibility of changing my mind at some point in the distant future.

I didn't realise you had to be a member of the forum to view the forum. If that was your sole intent in asking me to reinstate you, I'm pretty pissed off.

Seriously, I've already stated why Sterling requested you were banned, and why I banned you - you came across as an asshole. BTW, your words, which are still viewable on the forum make it clear that you knew you were NOT in compliance and were doing so deliberately, despite what you have just written to me.

I told you that your apology and request for reinstatement were noted. That meant I passed it along to Sterling and the other moderators. Sterling himself made the decision to reinstate you.

Consider the possibility of changing your mind in the future officially revoked.

I ABSOLUTELY don't think anything written here warranted this. Maybe someday you will re-read this (or not), and realize that. I was meant to ASSUME, based on "your apology and request for reinstatement were noted" that was Sterling's decision? Based on that?

In my opinion, you have escalated this to a customer service issue, and I will be crafting a message with all relevant documentation attached in due time. If they are unable or unwilling to assist, consider yourself responsible for the potential of me considering an active reversal of my longstanding support of this brand, it's makers, and philosophies, with you alone holding sole responsibility.

Perhaps I am able to view the boards in spite of my "ban." If this is correct, and I am still able to enjoy the benefits of reading without needing to navigate the dramatics of its moderators, no harm, no foul...but I am sending a handwritten letter to SLO regardless.

By all means, if you feel that you can get satisfaction, please DO contact customer service with all the relevant documentation.

As I said, the head of the company himself was the one who lifted your ban. Instead of simply saying "thank you" and moving on you still kept complaining, slamming the head of the company how unbanned you. You said "I don't know if thee comments are worthy of banning".

They most certainly were.

Do not ever contact me again.

You were in the wrong here. I am the one who gets to make that demand. Not you.

1. Sterling: “Any threads that contain negative criticism of other players will immediately be deleted.“ I can’t imagine there would be any question about this. No one expects you to absolutely love every new band you hear, but “Wow, these guys suck” is simply unnecessary. If you don’t like it, don’t comment. Negative response is not an option. And this isn’t just about EBMM artists. Everyone in the music business is working hard to do the best they can. Let’s respect our fellow musicians even if what they do isn’t our cup of tea.

NOTE: It would have NEVER crossed my mind to do this. I have a "date ban will be lifted: NEVER" ban. Others who did this get a friendly warning?

2. Sterling: “Posts containing politics, race, creed, sexual orientation, and country of origin will also be deleted.” He reserves the right to make English dental jokes.

NOTE: It would have NEVER crossed my mind to do this. I have a "date ban will be lifted: NEVER" ban. Others who did this get a friendly warning?

3. Sterling: “Sexual innuendos are out.” Every time a female member joins up or Kevin or Derek post a pic of a female endorsee, I can tell you that a few of us hold our breath, waiting for the junior high sexual commentary. We’re seldom disappointed. Yes, the female endorsees do check the forum and yes, they are offended. Treat them like you want your daughters/sisters to be treated and let’s put an end to it without moderation. PLEASE.

If the mods get three PMs about a particular member being “rude, abrupt, combative, or terminally negative”, we will contact the offending party and let them know that they are not making a positive contribution here. The offender will be on double secret probation. Any further trouble and the account will be terminated. And yes, we DO get PMs about certain obvious troublemakers, although as a bassist I’m relieved to say it’s mostly on the guitar side. But not always.

NOTE: This? Well, guilty as charged, but only ONCE. I have a "date ban will be lifted: NEVER" ban. Others who did this get TWO friendly warnings?

You are personally responsible for making a mockery of a formerly functional community. Interesting that many of these new rules would have tempered your perceived "power" in my case, don't you think. At this point, I am indifferent toward this company, again, thanks to you. Reap what you sow. Never contact me again.
    Last edited by s6275; 08.11.13 at 08:17 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    Sterling Ball is a piece of crap and his forum is a strokefest for his ego...

Sent from two cans and a string using Tapatalk 2
    Boy it really almost makes me want to not even use his strings anymore. What a total cockhead.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Damn. That guy is a raging a-hole.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

That moderator is a disgrace to any forum.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

One more reason for me not to use, purchase, or play any of his products !!!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 AM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

I don't even play guitar and I think this guy can go fuck off.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Boy it really almost makes me want to not even use his strings anymore. What a total cockhead.

I know, but those new Cobalts are soooo good.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

Wow!!! That's insane.

I ask myself what is wrong with those people. No wonder Edward left SB in 95. Ha ha.

Rob