Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Running with the devil
    Last Online

08.09.13 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Why doesn't Eddie shut Gene Simmons down?

Once again Gene Simmons is pulling out his Eddie Van Halen stories and it's really getting old. In a new interview from Classic Rock Magazine, Gene is once again bragging about how he "rejected" Eddie when approached about wanting to join KISS back in 1982. Let's do the math on that... Van Halen was the biggest band in the world and KISS was...well... perhaps the least liked band in the world. Even if Eddie was having problems with Dave, which is not a new thing, why in the h*ll would he want to enter into a group that, at that time, looked to be on their last legs? And being the control animal Eddie is, why would he remotely think about taking a back seat to ego maniacs like Simmons and Stanley when he already had one he couldn't stand in his band? And why would he even consider talking to Gene on that level without Alex on board? That would never happen. I just wish Eddie would come out and tell everyone this guy is full of himself and put Simmons in his place. Simmons embellishes so much in his life and career, it borders on embarrassing.
    Upon reflection, I would think Simmons would be the guy begging for Eddie to join his band since, at that point, KISS was in default of their contract with Polygram because Ace was wanting to leave. Polygram was stuck with a lucrative contract they had given KISS when they took them from Casablanca Records in 1980. They had no idea the band's popularity was getting ready to plummet. But their contract was only valid as long as the band consisted of Gene, Paul, and Ace. They already knew Peter was leaving during the Unmasked recordings. And that is why Ace appears on Creatures, even though he never played on it. The band was trying to provide cover while they attempted to get him back. So I'm sure when it looked like it was not going to happen, Simmons saw an opportunity with Eddie's situation and tried to pull him in to leverage a deal with Polygram. Ultimately KISS got taken to court and lost their lucrative contract. So, I'm confident it was Eddie who rejected Simmons. Not the other way around. And I think its about time Eddie came out and put Simmons in his place for continuing to sell that story in public. It's just wrong on so many levels.
    I live my life like there's no tomorrow...

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Two reasons is my guess. One, Ed doesn't give a shit. Two, Ed doesn't give a shit.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:42 AM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    Two reasons is my guess. One, Ed doesn't give a shit. Two, Ed doesn't give a shit.
    I would say more accurately that Eddie "doesn't know a shit". Every time when Hagar says something in the press or Dave does or anybody says something about VH people always wonder how Eddie will take it. I'd bet a lot of money that Eddie is simply completely unaware of the vast majority of it. Like probably 95% of it. And even what he does know is just second-hand broad comments from people in his circle like "Hey Eddie, Sammy wrote about how drunk you were on the 2004 tour". I just can't picture Eddie sifting through quotes from people or spending any time even being curious about it. In fact, I can barely even picture Eddie sitting in front of a computer. He might be the only person left in the world that wouldn't know how to google something if his life depended on it. Unless an interviewer read him a quote and asked for a response I doubt you'll ever hear anything like the kind of reaction the OP expects.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

I have many thoughts on this.

First off, paragraphs are your friend.

Secondly,..........

To be continued.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:00 AM
    Liked 11,786 Times in 6,532 Posts

Premium Member

According to Gene, he has a recording of the jam sessions with Eddie and Alex. "Got Love For Sale" was one of the tunes they jammed on. I don't think he would lie all of these years without getting called on it by someone. Dave said in his book that Gene was trying to get Eddie into KISS back when he was helping VH. It's not like Eddie and Alex always have their heads on straight. Who knows?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

maybe the reason Ed doesn't correct Gene on this is because it's true.
    Not that I care.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

I'm sure they probably jammed on a tune.
    Simmons probably pulled a guilt trip on them, how he financed their demo, etc.
    Then after, they went for a drink, Gene drinking orange juice and the VH bros getting smashed.
    While drunk out of his mind, Eddie said he wanted to join Kiss. Simmons took it literally. The next day, EVH probably didn't remember a thing.
    Little Dreamer

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:25 AM
    Liked 6,851 Times in 3,588 Posts

Premium Member

Such rage for Gene Simmons.

Just laugh it off.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:36 AM
    Liked 1,967 Times in 446 Posts

Donor

Here's what we wrote about it in The Inside magazine back in '95:

"We’re thinking Gene is making a bigger deal out of it then it was. If Eddie really did ask to join Kiss, he probably woke up the next day with a brutal hangover and had a laugh about it with the rest of the band."

And now we have good reason to believe that back in 1976 or 1977, it was actually the other way around – Gene wanted Eddie to join Kiss. Read what Eddie's old friend has to say about it on VHND:

Did Gene Simmons Beg Eddie Van Halen To Join Kiss?

Also, one VHND commenter said this:

"I interviewed Bill Aucoin (If you don't know, ask somebody) one time, and over lunch that story came up and Bill confirmed Gene wanted Eddie for Kiss, but Ed politely refused. He said it pissed Gene off that Ed would turn down Kiss."

Another guy said this:

"In his "Crazy From The Heat" autobiography DLR states that during the making of the demo in '76 he would have to chaperone EVH whenever Simmons was around because Gene was constantly trying to get Ed to join KISS."

Last Online

Premium Member
    This subject is already a thread here.

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=56538
    Last edited by Number 47; 08.09.13 at 10:12 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

It's like a fishing story that changes over time. Back in 76, Gene was out of bait and got skunked. Flash forward to present day and he had a 40 lb salmon hooked but it came loose when they went to net it.

The truth is most often found somewhere in the details of the first fruits, not the last.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Gene dangled the "Christine Sixteen" demo that Eddie and Alex played on over the fans' heads to buy that box set of theirs a few years ago. I guarantee a majority of the people bought that thing just for that very reason. If I'm not mistaken there was a paragraph or two in the booklet that came with it saying how disappointed Gene was he couldn't use it in the set.

Supposedly the lead that Ace plays is the same solo that Eddie laid down for the track .
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Running with the devil
    Last Online

08.09.13 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    According to Gene, he has a recording of the jam sessions with Eddie and Alex. "Got Love For Sale" was one of the tunes they jammed on. I don't think he would lie all of these years without getting called on it by someone. Dave said in his book that Gene was trying to get Eddie into KISS back when he was helping VH. It's not like Eddie and Alex always have their heads on straight. Who knows?
    Well there you go. You have a source from the band saying Gene was trying to get Eddie to join KISS. Wouldn't it follow then that when KISS was in trouble, he would seek Eddie again when he learned Eddie was unhappy in Van Halen? I just don't see Eddie coming to Gene in any capacity and saying, "I want to join KISS." And I dare say the possibility of this happening while Eddie was drunk wouldn't fly either, since Gene had already spent too many years dealing with Ace Frehley in the same capacity and was vocal about booze in general. I think Gene says these things because he feels he can get away with them. And probably because he feels Eddie "owes" him one for helping them out. Even though ultimately he didn't get them the deal with Warner Bros. I think Gene feels he can ride on the coattails of Eddie's reputation as some form of payback. I believe that is his rationale.
    I live my life like there's no tomorrow...

Last Online

Premium Member

Riding his coattails? It's a fucking story Gene tells... a tall tale if you will. What's the big freaking conspiracy.