Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Default Eddie's 1984 Harmonizer settings for Pitchfactor

Hey guys. Hoping you can help with converting some Eventide 949 setting to Pitchfactor for the 84 tone.
    Was listening to a lot of 1984 the past week or so in the car. Been blasting Drop Dead Legs, Girl Gone Bad, HFT.....The real hot stuff on the album. What really strikes me on those tunes is just how sweet his tone was on the album...Especially those songs. It still had the classic Eddie grit, but with a little of the more polished Sammy era tone starting to shine through. Not 5150/OU812 obvious amounts of Harmonizer which I wasn't real fond of. I just like the thickness of his tone on the album.
    My question is does anyone know what his Harmonizer config. was for the album? I know it was a 949, but was he using two or just the one for recording?

Currently, I'm using the Pitchfactor in my recording chain, and I'm curious what settings would get that tone down. I know he used the Korina V for a lot of my favorite tunes, but there's things like how his pick slides sound on the album, like the beginning of HFT that just sound real cool. Just has a unique sound.
    I've been playing around with the unit, but just trying to get that subtle blend of color and transparency. I use it in my patchbay linked to both my board's effects loop, and also to individual channels. My main signal is in the center, and both the Eventide, and my Lexicon delay (being stereo units) are split hard left, and hard right.
    I had to enabler "Killdry" because I was getting phasing issues, especially with bends. I'd get notes dying at certain pitches.

I know this L-C-R approach is more what Andy Johns convinced him to use, but I'm more interested in a baseline to work with for the Pitchfactor.
    I use it in the Micro mode, and it's I've got a base more in the 5150 stage, meaning I have the two pitch knobs around -9, +9 respectively, delays are 3ms., and 6ms. X is 6, and Y is 5 respectively, but the depth is a little touchy, and can sound a little blurred with heavier delays from the Lexicon.

Any ideas?
    Thanks for checking out my post.
    JJ

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I hope you get some great suggestions on this topic. I just wanted to mention that after years of shunning 1984 due to extensive burn out I began blasting those very songs you mentioned on my car system. Man that is tasty stuff... like you said, right between the Ed grit and the Sammy era. And if you ever get that explosive beginning pick slide to HFT down, let me in on the secret. He tends to shun all pick slides these days when performing live, instead substituting other little riffs or pinch harmonic / whammy bar tricks. Honestly I don't think a great sounding pick slide is possible with the amount of gain he is running now.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Hey! Yeah...I was the same for years...Just burned out on the usual tracks from too much radio play, Jump, Panama....You know those ones..right?
    Those songs I originally mentioned are just amazing. Always liked 'em, but these days, I'm far more interested in the technical side of things. I mentioned the pickslide in the HFT intro, because you can actually hear a little of that harmonized sound with that awesome Marshall. I agree...for me, the only real good pickslides are when the speakers are driven hard, and you can definitely hear that in his tone on the album.
    I don't think he deviated too heavily from how his setup was when he played live for 84, but his Harmonizer settings were great on 84.

Last Online

09.07.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

sgill72

"I'm just a punk kid who plays guitar."

Modern Day Romeos
    http://www.moderndayromeos.com

Last Online

09.07.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

sgill72

"I'm just a punk kid who plays guitar."

Modern Day Romeos
    http://www.moderndayromeos.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Cool! I didn't even think about the feedback being at zero! I usually run it fairly low, but maybe that's why it's sounding a little too chorusy for me. Gonna have to check that out after work tonight!

Favorite VH Album

All of them. except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Six Pack
    Last Online

09.09.13 @ 02:35 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Your buddy SLEEPER5150 sent me his settings for that CVH harmonizer tone with the PitchFactor about 3 years ago. Here they are:

910/949-2
    MICRO SETTING
    PITCH-A: -7 (BELOW ZERO)
    PITCH-B: -9 (ABOVE ZERO)
    DELAY-A: 8MS
    DELAY-B: 20MS
    X KNOB: 6
    Y KNOB: 5

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by psrajam91 View Post
    Your buddy SLEEPER5150 sent me his settings for that CVH harmonizer tone with the PitchFactor about 3 years ago. Here they are:
    Hey. Thanks a lot man! That actually means a lot that you'd send me that. I didn't know what he used for settings, but he did have the Sammy era stuff nailed down solid. I've been trying to apply those old 949 settings to the PF. it's a great unit..gotta explore it a lot more.
    Thanks again!