Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.10.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

David Lee Roth Sued By Guitarist

Ex-Van Halen singer David Lee Roth is being sued by a guitarist for breach of oral contract, fraud, and negligent misrepresentation.

In a lawsuit filed on Tuesday (December 10) in Los Angeles Superior Court, musician Bart Walsh names Roth and his companies, Diamond Dave Enterprises, Inc, and Diamond Dave Touring Company, Inc as defendants.

Walsh claims that Roth and his companies initially entered into an oral contract in 1998 for Walsh's services as a guitar player in 1999, with a retainer of $3,000 weekly for performing and $1,500 during weeks of non-performance. In addition, he alleges additional compensation would be received for master recordings or recordings of the performances.

According to Walsh, in 2001, he was offered the same performance and non-performance rates, as well as an additional $100 per hour for guitar lessons, all by verbal agreement at Roth's home, claiming Roth said he was "a man of his word."

Walsh also asserts he was involved with writing song charts, arranging band rehearsals, and alleges he was not paid his retainer fees as promised and nor was he paid for commercial concert videos and recordings, which he was told were for demo purposes only. In addition, he claims all the performances are his, though his image is obscured on the videos.

Walsh has asked for a trial by jury and a judge has been assigned to the case.

Roth's representatives had no comment at the lawsuit at press time. In November, Roth was sued by his former manager for breach of contract and age discrimination.

-- Darryl Morden, Los Angeles

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.10.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Damn, Dave needs to get his shit together. He has gone from the greatest frontman of the greatest band to a guy who doesn't seem to pay his bills (allegedly)

Sad.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't anything about this Bart Walsh kid but he must be a dumb ass to enter into an oral contract with anyone in the music industry much less DLR.
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I feel sorry for Bart. Imagine sitting in the house of your idol, starry eyed, being told all these plans, and promised all this money. I don't think anyone of us would have done anything different than Bart.
    It's unfortunate that he has to go thru all this.

This is yet another nail in the coffin, that is the career of DLR.

Looks like the Tiki Gods were right again...
    March 2002

none other than Diamond David Lee RALPH's guitarist (yes, at least for the
    moment-
    another Atomic Punks training camp graduate.).

Why is Bart Walsh out? He's owed money and was foolish enough to ask for it.

Hagar/ Roth meeting happened roughly 12 days ago at Azoff's (Hagar's manager) LA

office.

The 3 met briefly (30 minutes) and figured they would float the idea to
    promoters
    thinking they would be able to get $100k per show (that would be $50K each).
    Thus far
    the highest offer for the Deadrocker and Diamond Diva has been $35k ($17.5K
    each)
    for the package (St. Louis, MO.). No tour unless they can fill venues holding
    more than
    3K. Doesn't look likely.

-Mea Hoomanao
    Tiki God 91105
    [ December 12, 2002, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: THE MARD ]
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.02.15 @ 09:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bart will probably get his settlement, but it's a shame he has to sue DLR to get it. Then again, it's just plain common sense for grown ups:
    DON'T EVER ENTER INTO A VERBAL CONTRACT FOR SERVICES AND EXPECT TO GET PAID

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

gosh, kinda makes hard to believe ed let lawyers get involved in 2000.

technically, bart is stupid for a handshake deal, but i hope he gets his money. it's a basic mistake, especially when you're dealing with a guy you used to look up to.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 319 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Gee, whole new light on attorney issues and "we used to be able to do this with a handshake" comments from Ed, eh? Now who's looking like the asshole that fucked up the reunion? Hmmmmm.

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    All four of them look like A**holes !!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bart Walsh is a sore loser. He's pissed because he got bumped of the last tour because Roth found a better guitarist.

Bart Walsh was a shadow of Brian Young (I think that's his name). Though theye are both equally hard on the eyes, Brian captured the Van Halen style far better than Walsh.

Walsh is suing because he can't go back to the Punks and he has no gig with Roth - so go for the deep pockets.

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Par for the course. Funny, isn't it, that after the failed 1996 reunion attempt, Dave said he'd never consider a business deal with the Van Halen brothers again unless there was a roomful of lawyers present and they got the deal in writing. If Bart's allegations are true, Dave is guilty of the very thing he was critical of VH for. Irony at its finest!

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Guitar Shark:
    Par for the course. Funny, isn't it, that after the failed 1996 reunion attempt, Dave said he'd never consider a business deal with the Van Halen brothers again unless there was a roomful of lawyers present and they got the deal in writing. If Bart's allegations are true, Dave is guilty of the very thing he was critical of VH for. Irony at its finest!
    Excellent point.

And I can't help believe that is why the reunion failed again in 2000 because Dave went and got a team of lawyers.
    Like Ed said "...after the lawyers got involved, the cancer felt like a pimple on my ass..."

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by famac@nuveen.com:
    Bart Walsh is a sore loser. He's pissed because he got bumped of the last tour because Roth found a better guitarist.

Walsh is suing because he can't go back to the Punks and he has no gig with Roth - so go for the deep pockets.
    no, he's suing because he didn't GET PAID. if roth wasn't an asshole, and had kept his word (alledgedly), he wouldn't be getting sued.

some people think if you take someone to court, you must be an ambulance chaser or something. unfortunately, sometimes that's the only way to get the scum of the world to own up to what they have done.

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's the quote I was looking for.
    This is Dave letter from '96

To whom this may concern,

You've probably heard rumors that Van Halen and I will not be consummating our highly publicized reunion. And since neither Edward, Alex, nor Michael have corroborated or denied the gossip, I would like to go on record with the following: Eddie did it.

It's no secret, nor am I ashamed of my unbashed rapture at the prospect of resurrecting the original Van Halen. A "couple of songs" was all I knew for sure when Edward and I got together three months ago to write them. At that time, the band tip-toed around me sprinkling sentiments like, "this isn't sure thing, Dave: this doesn't mean anything long term, Dave; we're still auditioning other singers, Dave." I was cool. I was happy. I was in the moment.

The next thing I knew, the four of us are doing surprise walk-on at the MTV Awards. I told Edward at that time that I didn't think it was a good idea for the band to go to New York half-cocked; and that I didn't want to Imply by our presence that we were "back" if in fact it was just a quickle for old time's sake.

Well ain't hind sight always 20/20...Had I asked for something in writing, this wouldn't have happened. Had I acknowledged the occasional icy grip in my stomach, maybe this wouldn't have happened. But I didn't. Like I said--rapture. And, I love these guys. Do I trust them? That question never entered my mind.

Then, a series of events last week led me to discover at about the same time the press did, that the band, along with their manager, had already hired another lead singer, possibly as long as three months ago. I wonder how he felt the night of the MTV Awards. It certainly explains why on that night Edward looked as uncomfortable as a man who just signed a deal with The Devil. I can't think of a reason Edward would lie to me about being considered for the lead singer when he had already hired someone, and then let me appear on MTV under the impression that there was great likelihood that Van Halen and I were reuniting. As I said, I told him in no uncertain terms that I didn't want to do the MTV gig as a band unless we were in fact, a band.

And so I apologize to my fans and my supporters, and to MTV. I was an unwitting participant in this deception. It sickens me that the "reunion" as seen on MTV was nothing more than a publicity stunt. If I am guilty of anything, I'm guilty of denial. I wanted to believe it just as much as anyone else. Those who know me know that trickery was never my style.

MARD-The Movie

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Bart might have a beef, but he should have gotten it in writing!

it's the MUSIC BUSINESS!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's the quote I was looking for.
    This is Dave letter from '96
    makes me just as sad reading it today as it did almost 7 years ago... not sure i'll ever forgive VH for that fiasco...

can't believe i still follow all this crap... it only gets more disappointing every day... (is that even possible? )
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"