Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 11,787 Times in 6,533 Posts

Premium Member

Default Watch Netanyahu Throw Down With an Arab Lawmaker Over Who Was in the Holy Land First

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu posted a video on Facebook Thursday showing a verbal spat between him and an Arab Member of Knesset that took place the night before over which people inhabited the Holy Land first – the Jews or the Palestinians.

He headlined the video, “The Conflict in Under a Minute.”

The exchange began when Member of Knesset Jamal Zahalka who heads the progressive Balad Party (National Democratic Assembly) rejected Jewish claims to the Holy Land, saying “We [Palestinians] were here before you. I was here before you. And we will still be here after you.”

Other Members of Knesset are seen in the audience protesting Zahalka.

Netanyahu then approached the podium and said, “I did not plan to speak, but I heard Member of Knesset Zahalka’s statement. You said, ‘We were here before you and we’ll be here after you’re gone.’ The first part is not true and the second part will never happen.”

After making that short statement, Netanyahu slapped the podium and stepped down. Seated lawmakers are seen in the video applauding enthusiastically.

Though he doesn’t use Twitter that frequently – his last post was in early July – Netanyahu linked to the video and tweeted, “The conflict twitterized: MK Zahalka: We were here B4 U & will B here after U. PM Netanyahu: 1st part isn’t true & 2nd part won’t happen!”

Israel Hayom explains the background which led to the exchange:

Late Wednesday night, the Knesset voted on a bill to make the controversial “referendum law” a basic law, which would necessitate a national referendum on any peace deal that would require territorial withdrawals.

During the plenum debate, Arab MK Jamal Zahalka (National Democratic Assembly) said that the bill was irrelevant because it referred to “occupied territory, and as such, what applies is international law; the referendum should apply to the nations of the world.”

Zahalka was subsequently heckled by Habayit Hayehudi [Jewish Home Party] lawmakers, who said, “You are the foreigners in this land,” to which Zahalka responded, “We were here before you and we will be here after you.”

Israel Hayom reports that Zahalka later issued a clarification that his statement was directed “against racists, not Jews.”

The Balad Party opposes the concept of Israel as a Jewish state, and promotes the idea of a bi-national state for Jews and Arabs.

The subject of the verbal exchange – that is, the Jewish historical connection to the Land of Israel – was a key theme of Netanyahu’s address to the United Nations General Assembly last September.

“The Jewish people have lived in the land of Israel for thousands of years. Even after most of our people were exiled from it, Jews continued to live in the land of Israel throughout the ages,” he said then.

“The masses of our people never gave up the dream of returning to our ancient homeland. Defying the laws of history, we did just that. We ingathered the exiles, restored our independence and rebuilt our national life. The Jewish people have come home,” Netanyahu added.

“We will never be uprooted again,” he said.

Divorcing Jews from their ancient homeland is a common theme among Palestinian officials, who regularly accuse Israel of “Judaizing Jerusalem.” Israeli archaeological officials have for years been protesting Muslim religious authorities in Jerusalem for discarding valuable Jewish artifacts in an effort to erase evidence of Jewish history in the Holy Land, including on the Temple Mount, the holiest site in Judaism.

Here is the video from the Knesset Wednesday night:

(click on captions 'cc' for translation)

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

If they took a world wide poll and asked "Who occupied Israel/Palestine first?" I think the overwhelming majority of the planet would answer that the Jews did. A case could be made by the very existence of the Torah(or Old Testament?) some several thousand years before any muslim book was written. It is too bad the middle east is a mess because I know a lot of people would like to see Israel someday were it not for the constant fighting.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

the truth is neither group knows was there first. Nothing like people aruging over something that happened thousands of years ago like it had happened last tuesday. Anyways, weren't the Philistines thought to have been the first people to occupy that part of the world?

I agree with DP though, it would be nice if they'd stop fighting so people could visit the Holy Land and not have to worry about a bomb exploding that week.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,191 Times in 8,988 Posts

The Earth is almost 197 million square miles (including water). So let's just assume without looking it up that 65 million of that is land.

Israel is almost 8,000 square miles, and the Jews are the most persecuted race in the world's history. Can't we just let them have 0.000123 or 0.012% of the land in the world without everyone making such a big stink about it?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    The Earth is almost 197 million square miles (including water). So let's just assume without looking it up that 65 million of that is land.

Israel is almost 8,000 square miles, and the Jews are the most persecuted race in the world's history. Can't we just let them have 0.000123 or 0.012% of the land in the world without everyone making such a big stink about it?

doesn't really seem that hard, does it?

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

As a white American, I'm not commenting on a "we were on this land first" argument. I don't have much of a leg to stand on, if you think about it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ToddE View Post
    As a white American, I'm not commenting on a "we were on this land first" argument. I don't have much of a leg to stand on, if you think about it.
    This might make you feel better. There is a hypothesis that Europeans immigrated to North America somewhere between 17 -20 years ago. It's called the Solutrean Hypothesis. If true, that means native American's were a mix between these people and others who came over the Bering Land bridge. So you really were just stealing from a really old European mix.

Actually the whole settling of America is interesting. Not saying that hypothesis is true or credible but the whole Land Bridge theory pretty much has been invalidated. People were living in the America's far before that whole concept.

Ok back to topic at hand.

Team Israel. Fuck Yeah!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

To trace the origins of any race is speculation. According to the History 2 channel it all depends on where the aliens dropped us off at.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    This might make you feel better. There is a hypothesis that Europeans immigrated to North America somewhere between 17 -20 years ago. It's called the Solutrean Hypothesis. If true, that means native American's were a mix between these people and others who came over the Bering Land bridge. So you really were just stealing from a really old European mix.

Actually the whole settling of America is interesting. Not saying that hypothesis is true or credible but the whole Land Bridge theory pretty much has been invalidated. People were living in the America's far before that whole concept.

Ok back to topic at hand.

Team Israel. Fuck Yeah!
    1. I don't need to feel better. I feel great already.

2. 17 to 20 years ago? Your figures might be off regarding the "Soul Train Hypothesis." I'd like to hear more about this, and about the "American Bandstand Theory." Groovy!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Fact: We're all related to each other.

Who was there first? They both had relatives living there, because they have the same fucking relatives. We all do.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,191 Times in 8,988 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ToddE View Post
    I'm technically Native American, and even I don't give a shit about what happened to the Native Americans.

We were conquered, it's happened thousands of times before, and it will keep happening until the world is dust, the amount of arguing about who was where first is really pointless.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I heart Netanyahu.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Good Enough
    Last Online

I'm technically Native American, and even I don't give a shit about what happened to the Native Americans.

We were conquered, it's happened thousands of times before, and it will keep happening until the world is dust, the amount of arguing about who was where first is really pointless.
    Thank you for reiterating the exact point I was making.

The "we were here first" argument hasn't meant much on an historical level. Pointless argument to make - you're exactly right.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

Well if one really thinks about it, we are all related. Doesn't matter if you are talking about 6 days of creation or evolution.

Heck even the Native Americans fought, conquered tribes. An interesting book about how they lived is called 1491 which pretty much breaks down all the misconceptions of what is passed down.

Anyway back on the original topic, Jewish people have been screwed over. Sorry to anybody who got kicked out. Maybe the UN can pay each of them a settlement to move to Iran?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Now frontiers shift like desert sands
    While nations wash their bloodied hands
    Of loyalty, of history, in shades of grey

name that song and you get a donut hole.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg