Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Default Russia will enforce anti-gay law during olympics

I hope the USA doesnt do something assinine like boycott because of this:

MOSCOW (AP) Russia will enforce a new law cracking down on gay rights activism when it hosts international athletes and fans during the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, the country's sports minister said Thursday, appearing to contradict assurances to the contrary from the International Olympic Committee.

Russia's contentious law was signed by President Vladimir Putin in late June, imposing fines on individuals accused of spreading "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" to minors, and even proposing penalties for those who express these views online or in the news media. Gay pride rallies also are banned.

"An athlete of nontraditional sexual orientation isn't banned from coming to Sochi," Vitaly Mutko said in an interview with R-Sport, the sports newswire of state news agency RIA Novosti. "But if he goes out into the streets and starts to propagandize, then of course he will be held accountable."

Mutko emphasized that the law wasn't designed to punish anyone for being gay or lesbian. But like the Russian lawmakers who authored the bill, Mutko said athletes would be punished only for propaganda, a word that remains ambiguous under the new law.

"The corresponding law doesn't forbid non-traditional orientation, but other things: propaganda, involvement of minors and the youth."

The law specifies punishment for foreign citizens, to include fines of up to 100,000 rubles ($3,000), time in prison for up to 15 days, deportation and denial of reentry into Russia. Four Dutch citizens working on a documentary film in the northern Russian town of Murmansk were the first foreigners to be detained under the new law, although their case did not make it to court, according to RIA Novosti.

While activists and organizations supportive of gay rights have called for a ban on Russian-made products like Stolichnaya vodka in bars across North America, they have yet to find a unified response to the Sochi games.

Instead of a boycott of the Olympics, athletes have made individual gestures and called for gestures of protest, such as a pride parade, to be held during the games.

The IOC said last week that it had received assurances "from the highest level of government in Russia that the legislation will not affect those attending or taking part in the games." It pledged to ensure there would be no discrimination against athletes, officials, spectators and the media in Sochi.

"Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

it would be kind of hard to go to China for the Olympics but then to boycott Russia over this. But the laws are ridiculous.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

I got an idea, why not leave sexual orientation out of it in the first place. It's not like there is a butt fucking competition. This is a competition to see who is the best of the best in a particular sport. Why does it matter if your gay. Why would gay's feel it necessary to have rallies or spread any type of propaganda at a sporting event. Like they said they aren't banning gays from competing. Russia may have fucked up views but than again it's Russia.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    I got an idea, why not leave sexual orientation out of it in the first place. It's not like there is a butt fucking competition. This is a competition to see who is the best of the best in a particular sport. Why does it matter if your gay. Why would gay's feel it necessary to have rallies or spread any type of propaganda at a sporting event. Like they said they aren't banning gays from competing. Russia may have fucked up views but than again it's Russia.

Exactly. I applaud Russia. All they're saying is, "come here to compete and have a great time. Just don't use this stage to promote your agenda."

Bravo. There's no harm here.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,191 Times in 8,988 Posts

Beyond the stupidity of the laws, there are just so many head scratchers here.

Boycotting an Olympics because of the host country's laws is stupid. We didn't boycott China, and they have human rights violations out the ying yang, AND are cyber attacking us millions of times a day. The Olympics is partially the HOPE of what our future can possible be, not what it unfortunately is today.

Second, boycotting products coming from that country makes no sense whatsoever either. It has been proven through history that the government is not the one injured by such boycotts, it's the common man. If anything, it strengthens the governments grip on its citizens, not weakening it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Exactly. I applaud Russia. All they're saying is, "come here to compete and have a great time. Just don't use this stage to promote your agenda."

Bravo. There's no harm here.

U applaud them?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    It's not like there is a butt fucking competition.
    I bet the ratings would go through the roof if there was. Nina Hartley would be a shoo in for the gold medal.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    U applaud them?
    If I'm reading that article right I see nothing wrong with what they're doing. Is there an issue with them saying 'leave your social agendas at the door'?
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

If I'm reading that article right I see nothing wrong with what they're doing. Is there an issue with them saying 'leave your social agendas at the door'?

Until a gay athlete thanks his or her spouse at the press conference after winning a medal and is now entitled to some time in prison.

If the ioc can't get russia to not enfore the law (and this will happen) during the olympics then any nation that cares at all about gay rights should have a major problem here. And we sure as fuck shouldn't applaud them for their fantastic discrimination. My god man, give your head a shake.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Until a gay athlete thanks his or her spouse at the press conference after winning a medal and is now entitled to some time in prison.

If the ioc can't get russia to not enfore the law (and this will happen) during the olympics then any nation that cares at all about gay rights should have a major problem here. And we sure as fuck shouldn't applaud them for their fantastic discrimination. My god man, give your head a shake.

LOL.... I think there's a slight misunderstanding here. I'm simply saying during the Olympics I see no harm in them telling the activists to leave their agenda's out of it. Just come compete and leave it at that. What Russia does the other 50 weeks of the year is all together different. Not my problem.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

LOL.... I think there's a slight misunderstanding here. I'm simply saying during the Olympics I see no harm in them telling the activists to leave their agenda's out of it. Just come compete and leave it at that. What Russia does the other 50 weeks of the year is all together different. Not my problem.

They aren't telling the activists to stay out of it. They are saying their (stupid) laws apply to non-russian people in the country for the olympics. This is kind of a problem.

This is why we don't put the olympics in the middle east since we don't want any unmarried woman having sex to be thrown in jail. The russians have every right to live in the 1800s but we owe our citizens a little more protection than that.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

They aren't telling the activists to stay out of it. They are saying their (stupid) laws apply to non-russian people in the country for the olympics. This is kind of a problem.

This is why we don't put the olympics in the middle east since we don't want any unmarried woman having sex to be thrown in jail. The russians have every right to live in the 1800s but we owe our citizens a little more protection than that.
    Eh, whatever. They're not saying don't come here and be gay. They're saying keep the propoganda towards minors and gay rallies out.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Well, as long as the woman is gang raped by fewer than five guys, I don't think she gets jail time.

So quit bashing the middle east man.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Eh, whatever. They're not saying don't come here and be gay. They're saying keep the propoganda towards minors and gay rallies out.
    that's actually not at all what they are saying. They are saying the law will be enforced and that law "bars the public discussion of gay rights and relationships anywhere children might hear it". This would be no different than a nation saying "religion is banned and any public discussion of religion" will result in arrest. It's ridiculous and sure as hell shouldn't be applauded.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

And the silly thing is that by coming out with all of this rhetoric, the Russians have now probably shot themselves in the foot. This sort of furore will only serve to encourage those looking to make the Olympics the focus of their rallying cries, rather than put them off.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980