Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

07.26.17 @ 06:28 AM
    Liked 708 Times in 331 Posts

Default EVH Branded Floyd Rose

I'm probably late to the party with this question, but has it been determined what the specifications and country of origin are on these Floyd units?

My guess is that they are the Floyd Rose 1000 series trems that are made in Korea, and not the Floyd Rose Special made in Korea.

Here is my understanding on the Floyds:

-Original Floyd Rose is made in Germany with steel saddles and brass sustain block

-Floyd Rose 1000 is made in Korea with the same specifications and materials as the OFR

-Floyd Rose Special is made in Korea, and has zinc alloy saddles and sustain block

So, does the EVH Wolfgang special have steel saddles and a brass sustain block, or zinc alloy saddles and sustain block?

Question number 2:

Has anyone upgraded their EVH tremolo with an aftermarket brass sustain block? Has anyone replaced the unit with an OFR or FU trem unit? If so, was it a slight or a huge improvement? Sorry, that's like, three questions.

Thanks
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1,044 Times in 642 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have a 2009 EVH Vintage White and a 2012/13 EVH Grey Stealth. I put the FU 37mm brass block on both of em. Best decision ever !!! It was not like a night and day transformation but more of a subtle acoustic quality change. I was able to listen to each guitar side by side. The VW with the FU and the Grey Stealth without. The notes seem to ring out louder and more defined and sustain longer with the FU installed on em. To me, it seems like a must have purchase after getting a new guitar.

In regard to your other questions---I have asked the very same questions elsewhere and never got a straight answer. One guy who sells the German Floyds told me the EVH Floyds are made by a company called Ping. But I never went any further with the subject.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

07.26.17 @ 06:26 AM
    Liked 390 Times in 173 Posts

I'll answer question 2. Yes I put an FU brass big sustain block on my EVH floyd on my Special Stealth and the improvement is huge. Much bigger and brighter sound.

Rob

Last Online

No clearance issues with the big block on the dive bombs?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

Liked 116 Times in 79 Posts

Anybody have a close-up pic of the EVH Floyd? Is it machined like an OFR or is it stamped like the special? You can tell by looking at the edge of the bridge from the side.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 02:27 AM
    Liked 1,844 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

From Jimi11580 in another thread,

The EVH stamped Floyd is an FRT1000, the same model, btw, that has been used on the SoCal Charvels. The FRT1000 is made in Korea and it's equivalent to the the German-made Original in just about every way- it's not the cheaper Chinese-made "Special"...

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

I had to route with my dremel tool a chunk out of my Stealth special when I put the brass block in as I could barely do dive bombs. First EVH signature guitar EVER where I had to do that. Not on my EBMM, PV wolfs both standard and specials but the Stealth special had no extra room for a brass block. Its fine now that I removed some wood. That very much surprised me. Not sure how the USA model stealth is but the Special steath definately needed it.

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1,044 Times in 642 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I did no routing on either of my USA EVH Wolfs. They both dive all the way just like the original blocks did.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Last Online

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a White EVH Wolfgang. I had gotten away from all EVH gear for a while, but I've determined that it's just most comfortable playing.

I hadn't really given the Specials much thought with them being made in Japan, then with production moved to China. Whenever I thought about the EVH Wolf Special, visions of the Peavey Quilt-top specials popped into my head. When my local dealer picked up 3 of them, I had a chance to actually sit down and evaluate them. I have to say I was extremely impressed with the EVH Wolf Specials. They are miles better than the Korean Peaveys. The quality of these for a Chinese guitar are incredible. I like that you get the U.S. hardware, electronics and stainless frets on it. It really is a workhorse guitar.

Glad to hear it's the Floyd Rose 1000. Maybe I'll throw a OFR on it someday, but the trem unit does sound and perform well enough to just leave it alone.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    I did no routing on either of my USA EVH Wolfs. They both dive all the way just like the original blocks did.
    my Stealth Special was made in Japan (sticker on back of the headstock) and they certainly allowed 0% extra room in the trem cavity movement for the big block. Like I said, it fit its just that after it was installed I could not do decent dives at all. Funny how PV allowed for this with their specials and Fender did not. Must be a USA / Oversees thing I guess because my USA Green PV special has tons of room and I just put one in that a month ago. Does anyone know if the PV EXP (Korean) specials had the same issue or were they all good to go with larger blocks like the USA versions?

again, I guess not a big deal as the whole process only took me maybe 20 minutes to do / route properly and make it look good as well and now it works great.

neat thread though. I guess you learn something all the time about the EVH sig guitars

Rob

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 06:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't believe people are trying to sell these evh branded tremolos on fleabay for 200.00 to 300.00 when you can get a much much better original Floyd Rose with big brass block for a little over 200.00 Some people just have no clue. Will an original F/R fit the new striped series without any mods? Was thinking of getting one of the R, W, B bodies and upgrading it to better quality parts?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MeanStreet 5150 View Post
    I can't believe people are trying to sell these evh branded tremolos on fleabay for 200.00 to 300.00 when you can get a much much better original Floyd Rose with big brass block for a little over 200.00 Some people just have no clue. Will an original F/R fit the new striped series without any mods? Was thinking of getting one of the R, W, B bodies and upgrading it to better quality parts?
    Better quality parts? There's really no appreciable difference between an OFR and a 1000 series besides the block, which could be had for not much money. The nut and tuners are all the same.

Remember, the striped series necks don't have a standard heel.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    Better quality parts? There's really no appreciable difference between an OFR and a 1000 series besides the block, which could be had for not much money. The nut and tuners are all the same.

Remember, the striped series necks don't have a standard heel.
    Can you elaborate on the difference between an original FR Block and the FR 1000 Block? The Block on the Wolfgang Special appears to be a standard nickel plated brass Floyd Rose sustain block.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Can you elaborate on the difference between an original FR Block and the FR 1000 Block? The Block on the Wolfgang Special appears to be a standard nickel plated brass Floyd Rose sustain block.
    From what I can tell, they come with a pot metal block rather than brass, plated or not. The Wolfgang may be speced out with brass anyway, since they are stamped EVH.

Last Online

I'm not sure, but you may be confusing the FR1000 with the FR Special. The FR Special clearly has a Zinc sustain block. The one in the Wolfgang Special has a nickel plated block that has the FR stamped on it, which based on all the specification on the FR1000 that I've seen, would indicate that it is a nickel plated brass sustain block reminiscent of the type that was on the original EBMM/EVH. I think the confusion comes from the nickel plating. People see that it's not brass colored, and assume that it's steel, aluminum or zinc.

I suppose I could scrape some plating off of my sustain block just to be sure, but I'm pretty certain that it's brass, just not a big block.