the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:25 AM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

Default F#%& Rolling Stone

"you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 6,669 Times in 3,696 Posts

gary cherone ‏@garycherone
    Thank you RS for having 'moral clarity' n honoring the 4 dead Victims of the Boston bombing by putting them on the cover
    he said it better than me.

Favorite VH Album

In the mood for OU812
    Favorite VH Song

"Mean Street"
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 261 Times in 177 Posts

I remember years ago reading of some guy that was trying to get every issue of Sports Illustrated autographed by the cover subject.

Wonder if there's some dude out there that collects RS in that way?
    VAN HALEN
    7-7-15 Ridgefield, WA
    12-1-07 Portland, OR
    10-22-04 Seattle, WA
    10-19-04 Portland, OR
    8-13-04 Oakland, CA
    8-11-04 Sacramento, CA
    8-10-04 San Jose, CA
    8-7-04 Las Vegas, NV
    8-6-04 Las Vegas, NV
    7-10-98 Portland, OR
    9-15-95 Portland, OR
    8-18-93 Portland, OR

Sammy Hagar
    5-8-15 Lake Tahoe, NV
    5-2-08 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-30-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-29-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    10-13-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-12-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-9-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    7-10-99 Portland, OR
    8-15-97 Eugene, OR

David Lee Roth
    8-19-05 Eugene, OR
    6-28-03 Tacoma, WA
    6-17-03 Portland, OR
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    9-2-01 Seattle, WA

Chickenfoot
    6-3-12 Portland, OR

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

They got away with it in 1970 with the Manson cover (which I think was a bad move).

In 2013, with Facebook, Twitter, and forums such as this? It doesn't go over as well. And it didn't go over well then.

Classless move on their part.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

There is no such thing as bad publicity.

What's the other one... The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about?

Everyone seems to be talking about Rolling Stone this evening. I'd have to say mission accomplished then.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    There is no such thing as bad publicity.

What's the other one... The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about?

Everyone seems to be talking about Rolling Stone this evening. I'd have to say mission accomplished then.
    It's so funny to me that people will get up in arms that RS or any magazine for that matter would do something like this. It's wishful thinking to think that they would have a conscience. I'm not even remotely shocked that they would have done this. One could have almost predicted it. Victims sadly do not make for good copy and that is a sad fact. Criminals, terrorists, murderers and thieves are what sell newspapers and make people tune in to the news.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Well said.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Last Online

Premium Member

Our hearts go out to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, and our thoughts are always with them and their families. The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone’s long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day. The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens. –THE EDITORS

Last Online

Premium Member

Rolling Stone’s Boston Bomber Cover Is Brilliant

Rolling Stone has unveiled its next cover, featuring a dreamy photo of Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, and many people have erupted in outrage. Some critics say the image depicts Tsarnaev as a kind of celebrity; others believe it turns him into a martyr. Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick called the cover “out of taste,” while CVS has banned the issue “out of respect for the victims of the attack and their loved ones.” A smaller chain of New England stores is also boycotting the magazine for “glorify[ing] evil actions.” Never mind that the picture itself once appeared on the front page of the New York Times; when Rolling Stone uses it, they’re “tasteless,” “trashy,” and “exploitative.”

As the Washington Post’s Erik Wemple points out, the image is exploitative—but it isn’t just exploitative: It’s also smart, unnerving journalism. By depicting a terrorist as sweet and handsome rather than ugly and terrifying, Rolling Stone has subverted our expectations and hinted at a larger truth. The cover presents a stark contrast with our usual image of terrorists. It asks, “What did we expect to see in Tsarnaev? What did we hope to see?” The answer, most likely, is a monster, a brutish dolt with outward manifestations of evil. What we get instead, however, is the most alarming sight of all: a boy who looks like someone we might know.

Judging from the article itself, the image is disconcertingly apt. The story, a two-month investigative report by Janet Reitman, tracks Tsarnaev’s tragic, dangerous path from a well-liked student to a monster, focusing on the increasing influence of radical Islam. (The headline on the cover suggests as much; those immediately outraged by the picture might do well to read the accompanying text.) That slide from likable teenager to troubled murderer is a potent narrative—and not a new one. Time magazine profiled the Columbine shooters through a similar lens, calling them “the monsters next door” on their cover and asking, “What made them do it?”

Few people complained, however, when the Columbine shooters graced the cover of Time, perhaps in part because that magazine is devoted primarily to news, whereas Rolling Stone devotes more space to music and culture. And it’s certainly true that Rolling Stone’s cover is prime celebrity real estate; many forget that the late Michael Hastings’ explosive piece on General Stanley McChrystal was tucked in an issue featuring Lady Gaga on the cover.

But Rolling Stone has published several other terrific works of journalism, and its editors have stood by their cover. And they are right to do so. They are not “glorifying” anyone. Whatever “glory” this cover brings is more in line with infamy than celebrity; after all, the text of the cover describes him as “the bomber” and “a monster.” Yes, the editors were surely aware that Tsarnaev has attracted a bizarre fan base of young women professing their crushes and asserting his innocence. But it’s ridiculous to assume that the magazine was playing off his strange cult following—an assumption we would never make for Time or the New York Times.

We may want the media to reconfirm for us that psychopaths are crazed, nutty, creepy recluses whom we can easily identify and thus avoid. But, as this cover reminds us, that simply isn’t the case. Some psychopaths point guns at cameras; others snap selfies in T-shirts. As Tsarnaev’s many friends could attest, we aren’t as good as we’d like to believe at spotting the evil beneath the surface.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...ournalism.html

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Our hearts go out to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, and our thoughts are always with them and their families. The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone’s long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day. The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens. –THE EDITORS

And that right there is the problem with RS. They've turned in to the MTV of magazines. I personally can't stand the magazine. Every writer on their staff seems to be a liberal hack and they are more about social issues than music.
    Yes, people are talking about RS but how many will not purchase an issue ever again because of this cover?

Last Online

Premium Member
    I went and did something that a lot of people everywhere commenting on this cover photo probably will never do. I read the story on the inside. It's a well written piece. Saying Rolling Stone sucks, is a piece of shit, blah, blah, blah! may be an opinion of many, but it's also just a cop out and holds about as much validity as Whoopi or Chris Brown commenting on the Zimmerman acquittal via twitter. Sorry if I seem to be soap boxing, but a good, well written story is just that... a good, well written story, regardless of the left turn at the fork in the road media bullshit that would rather focus on such a non issue as a stupid photo.

Question: Would the same photo get as much outrage if it was featured on Time or Newsweek? It really is just a photo of the person who commited these terrible crimes.

Jahar's World
    By Janet Reitman - Rolling Stone
    July 17, 2013 11:00 AM ET

He was a charming kid with a bright future. But no one saw the pain he was hiding or the monster he would become.

>>>http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...world-20130717

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,462 Times in 898 Posts

I stopped reading this mag years ago. No reason now for me to pick it up again.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 739 Times in 407 Posts

Premium Member

I'm w/ Raldo...I can't honestly remember the last time I picked this magazine up. I gave up a while ago - because it seemed they were celebrating 'artists' with no talent - and it was clear the covers were bought. The writing was poor at best, and shamelessly biased towards whoever was paying them the most.

If Rolling Stone wants to increase sales, they need to get back to basics and offer thoughtful, independant writing, celebrate unknown artists - and help introduce them to a world of fans that are hungry for something new and fresh - and keep us abreast of pop culture news. Putting a homeland terrorist on the cover - making him seem 'dreamy' is not a business model for long term prosperity.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:40 AM
    Liked 1,025 Times in 500 Posts

I'm sure Jann Wenner was staring down at this pic the last time his boyfriend was giving him a full bore reach around. What a bunch of sorry smart ass fuckers at rolling stone. Line the bird cage with this one or wipe with it.

And fuck their shitty magazine.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:36 AM
    Liked 2,381 Times in 1,486 Posts

Premium Member

Lousy music rag always has been get more info here on links about the biz.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.