Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Justin Carter, Facebook 'terrorist' poster, free on bond thanks to anonymous donor...

Texas teen Justin Carter, charged with making 'terroristic' threat on Facebook, leaves jail after nearly five months. Unidentified benefactor posts his $500,000 bond.

Texas teen Justin Carter is free on bail, after spending nearly five months in prison for allegedly posting "terroristic" threats on Facebook, courtesy of an unnamed donor who posted his $500,000 bond.

The ecstatic 19-year-old said Friday he had a learned a hard lesson. "I certainly would have thought a lot more about what I said and how permanent my writing is," he admitted in an interview with CNN.

He had been in prison since March, charged with a felony count of making terrorist threats over a Facebook comment he posted in February during an online argument with another player of "League of Legends."

Carter claims he was being sarcastic, in response to being called a "sicko," when he shot back: "I think I’ma shoot up a kindergarten. And watch the blood of the innocent rain down. And eat the beating heart of one of them.”

On Friday, newly released from a Colma County prison near San Antonio, Carter said he still believes the incident "got taken out of context and it's been blown out of proportion."

His case has become a national news story. More than 125,000 signatures demanding his release have been gathered in just days on an online petition seeking donations

An anonymous "Good Samaritan" put up his bail, which his family could not afford, dad Jack Carter said.

Earlier this month, the father said his son had been beaten by other inmates, forced naked into solitary confinement by prison guards, and had been placed on a suicide watch.

Now, Jack Carter said, he is stunned someone gave $50,000, the 10 percent of his son's bond amount necessary to free him.

"I had to sit down," the dad said Friday. "I even asked ... if it was a joke. I was just completely taken aback. It's just such an amazing thing."

Mom Jennifer Carter said, "I'm over the moon happy ... it's been hard sleeping. I just want to spend all my time talking to him and looking at him."

Justin Carter's trial is scheduled to begin next year. He could face up to 10 years in prison if convicted.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I get that behind a computer a person can feel untouchable but come on, what he said was pretty sick.

In the wake of Newtown you're gonna say something like that? Glad the little shit was taught a lesson.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:42 PM
    Liked 18,182 Times in 8,986 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I get that behind a computer a person can feel untouchable but come on, what he said was pretty sick.

In the wake of Newtown you're gonna say something like that? Glad the little shit was taught a lesson.
    Ten years in prison for a comment on fucking Facebook? Are you kidding me? It was beyond stupid, but putting him in prison for a web posting to me is just beyond ludicrous.

What harm has he done? Don't you actually have to cause injury to either a person or property before being sent to prison? Being stupid isn't a crime, if it was we would have a lot of vacancies in Congress.

Give the kid a warning or probation or something like that, but a possible ten years hard time and a $500,000 bond for saying something stupid on Facebook? C'mon.

We have real criminals and real problems that we need to address.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:46 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Ten years in prison for a comment on fucking Facebook? Are you kidding me? It was beyond stupid, but putting him in prison for a web posting to me is just beyond ludicrous.

What harm has he done? Don't you actually have to cause injury to either a person or property before being sent to prison? Being stupid isn't a crime, if it was we would have a lot of vacancies in Congress.

Give the kid a warning or probation or something like that, but a possible ten years hard time and a $500,000 bond for saying something stupid on Facebook? C'mon.

We have real criminals and real problems that we need to address.
    threatening to kill a bunch of people should get you more than a warning. Not sure what his intentions were - maybe it's just a kid being stupid. Certainly not enough information in that story to know. The amount of the bond was rather high, would like to know why (but again not in the story).

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

His son first got into trouble in February after he and a friend had been playing League of Legends.

Mr Carter said: 'Someone had said something to the effect of "Oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head," to which he replied "Oh yeah, I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts.'
    He added that his son had made it clear that the comment was made in jest.

A woman in Canada contacted the police after a Google search showed Justin's last known address was close to Wooldridge Elementary School in Austin and he was arrested.

His comments were made just two months after the Sandy Hook Tragedy in which 20-year-old Adam Lanza fatally shot twenty children and six adult staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School in the village of Sandy Hook in Newtown, Connecticut.

The mass murder has raised renewed debate about America's gun control laws
    we were only trying to help.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 7,895 Times in 4,618 Posts

Premium Member

Let's lock up the Kardashians. THEY'RE more of a terroristic threat to this nation than this 15 year old kid. Even flipping through the channels and seeing them want to make me behead myself.

Such a stupid waste of taxpayer money. Locked up for free speech. I guess it would have been too time consuming to just go talk to the kid and his parents to see what's up.

Shit my mistake. He's 19. Hmmm....
    Last edited by CaboChris; 07.16.13 at 09:46 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Let's lock up the Kardashians. THEY'RE more of a terroristic threat to this nation than this 15 year old kid. Even flipping through the channels and seeing them want to make me behead myself.

Such a stupid waste of taxpayer money. Locked up for free speech. I guess it would have been too time consuming to just go talk to the kid and his parents to see what's up.
    I'd like to think there was an investigation prior to locking him up? Right? Please say there was.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 7,895 Times in 4,618 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I'd like to think there was an investigation prior to locking him up? Right? Please say there was.
    I just thought of something though. Maybe he has prior convictions. By law, minors records arent allowed to be made public. I can't imagine why he would be locked up that long?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I just thought of something though. Maybe he has prior convictions. By law, minors records arent allowed to be made public. I can't imagine why he would be locked up that long?
    the whole story makes little sense but i'm giving your courts the benefit of the doubt (and I always get in trouble for doing this).

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

The kid said something really fucking stupid in the wake of a tragedy. I'm sorry. He deserves more than a slap on the wrist.

You can't be too careful these days because you don't know what some sick fuck is capable of doing. Even behind his computer screen.

You guys cannot say, "It was just a comment on Facebook." I believe that if he could joke about it, he probably wouldn't waste any time doing it. I'm glad they booked him for this. It's not fair to underscore the power of social media in this day in age.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 6,851 Times in 3,588 Posts

Premium Member

Justin Carter Jailed For Facebook Comment, But He's Just Unfunny, Not a Terrorist

Although there can be a fine line between prosecution and persecution, this line is not often crossed in the United States. Well, that line was thoroughly trampled over in March when an 18-year-old boy was charged with making "terroristic threats" for a Facebook comment that, though immature and disgusting, was almost certainly sarcastic.

Because his family is unable to pay the $500,000 bond, the now-19-year-old teen has been imprisoned for four months, suffering from physical (and perhaps sexual) abuse and psychologically deteriorating to such a degree that he is now on suicide watch. Police in Comal County, Texas charged Justin Carter with the third-degree felony because of this comment:

"I think Ima shoot up a kindergarten / And watch the blood of the innocent rain down/ And eat the beating heart of one of them."

Taken alone, the post is obviously disconcerting. But a little context shows that the government is ruining this kid's life because of a mind-boggling overreaction. Let's examine the evidence.

First, Carter made his comments while arguing with a fellow gamer after he finished playing the multiplayer computer game "League of Legends." This game, which a few of my friends at Duke played, is known for its competitive ethos that fuels conversations that can become quite toxic. While the comment seems extreme to us, in the online gaming world Carter's post unfortunately is not too far from the norm. Indeed, if police began charging every immature gamer who made a "terroristic threat" over a day-long gaming session on League of Legends or Call of Duty, our court system would be clogged to the brim.

Second, Carter did not make the comment in isolation. Rather, he made it after arguing with a fellow gamer who called him "crazy." To most rational people, this alone suggests that Carter's response was nothing more than (extremely distasteful) sarcasm. If Carter's parents are to be believed, Carter even followed up his comments with "JK."

Third, after a thorough search and investigation the police found absolutely zero evidence of ill intent. There were no weapons, no attack plans, no suspicious internet searches, no weird diary entries — nothing. Indeed, the Canadian stranger who reported Carter for his comments didn't even know him, and friends and family who actually do know Carter maintain that there is nothing to indicate Carter was ever a threat.

Now I could understand it if the police questioned Carter; but arresting him is excessive. Indeed, the context surrounding the comment negates any reasonable probable cause the police could have claimed in making an arrest.

If convicted, Carter could face up to 10 years in prison in what to me seems like a massive miscarriage of justice. In addition, Carter could be classified as a felon and terrorist for the rest of his life. If so, he would likely be stigmatized, isolated, and prevented from achieving a well-paying job upon release from prison.

What Carter said on Facebook was obviously stupid. But there is not nearly enough evidence that what he said was made with any criminal intent at all. I fear that while previously Carter was nothing more than a harmless gamer, after being abused by the state in such a manner he might come out of prison full of bitterness and hatred. It is time to stop subjecting this kid to physical and psychological torture.

Until he has his day in court, there is only one right thing to do, and it is glaringly obvious: Release Justin Carter.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/53...ot-a-terrorist

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    threatening to kill a bunch of people should get you more than a warning.
    Totally disagree, you have to be able to prove intent to do harm to put someone in prison, or at least that used to be the case.

Does the comment give the police reasonable cause to question the young man? Absolutely, and if they THEN find evidence of possible illegalities or planned illegalities, then arrest him. But for just saying something, maybe I read a different Constitution than you guys do, but to me saying that you are going to do something doesn't make you a terrorist.

Queensryche has a lyric "let's burn the White House down!", and I can only imagine that crap that is said in some rap and metal lyrics, and obviously all of that is covered by free speech, but some nineteen kid in a spat on a League of Legends (?) forum is held to a higher standard than Chuck D and Geoff Tate? C'mon man.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Totally disagree, you have to be able to prove intent to do harm to put someone in prison, or at least that used to be the case.

Does the comment give the police reasonable cause to question the young man? Absolutely, and if they THEN find evidence of possible illegalities or planned illegalities, then arrest him. But for just saying something, maybe I read a different Constitution than you guys do, but to me saying that you are going to do something doesn't make you a terrorist.

Queensryche has a lyric "let's burn the White House down!", and I can only imagine that crap that is said in some rap and metal lyrics, and obviously all of that is covered by free speech, but some nineteen kid in a spat on a League of Legends (?) forum is held to a higher standard than Chuck D and Geoff Tate? C'mon man.
    i'm gonna assume they did an investigation. That they didn't just read one line on a forum and throw him in jail and throw away the key. They must have some evidence on him or his lawyer wouldn't have him rotting in a cell for months. Right?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

You're right, I have the utmost faith in our legal system to do the right thing, what was I thinking.