Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:45 AM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

Default Cool EVH story from F.U.C.K tour

There is a cool little interview with Dave Leslie (Baby Animals guitar player) on how Eddie gave him a EBMM on the FUCK tour at iheartguitar.com. There are a few photos too.

http://iheartguitarblog.com/2013/07/...c-man-evh.html

Thought some might like to read it....

I like this quote from it...

"The VH boys (Ed and Alex especially) spent lots of time in our dressing-room as it was far less formal than their ‘rockstar’ digs. There was something about a bucket of cold beer and a couple of small amps that seemed to appeal to Ed… "
    Last edited by Dutchie5150; 07.15.13 at 11:56 PM.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts

Thanks Darren great read...
    ITS 5150 TIME

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Cool story and sweet axe. I recall Jerry Cantrell from Alice in Chains sharing a similar story of receiving an EBMM from Ed. I think his is an amber version. I'm not sure of this, but I think the actual guitar Jerry was given is in an Alice in Chains video that was filmed a year or two after they opened for VH. I saw this tour in Albany, NY in the fall of 1991 with AIC opening. I still remember to this day how pale and sickly Lain looked on stage. He sounded great, however, as did the entire band. Surprisingly good sound given the Knickerbocker arena (as it was called then) isn't the greatest sounding arena and the group I was with all had pretty shitty seats way up high near Ed's side of the stage.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Great story. Love reading shit like that.

Thanks for posting it.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

Very cool!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

This part:
    He spent hours between soundcheck and our show drinking and jamming AC/DC songs (Ed knows all Angus’ solos, note for note…)
    That would be something I would have liked to hear Eddie talk about in his old interviews instead of answering the question, "Do you listen to any other guitar players?" with a "No....after Clapton...nobody".

Would love to hear Eddie's take on some of Angus' solos too....hmmm...

Good Enough
    Last Online

He has mentioned not only Angus, but AC/DC in general, in a few interviews over the years. One such comment related to the fact that he turned Wolfgang onto AC/DC when he was still a mere lad. Also something along the lines that while nearly every AC/DC song sounds alike, what a great song it is...In other words, he gave them serious props as a kick ass band that also happens to write a great song/s.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:37 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    Cool story and sweet axe. I recall Jerry Cantrell from Alice in Chains sharing a similar story of receiving an EBMM from Ed. I think his is an amber version. I'm not sure of this, but I think the actual guitar Jerry was given is in an Alice in Chains video that was filmed a year or two after they opened for VH. I saw this tour in Albany, NY in the fall of 1991 with AIC opening. I still remember to this day how pale and sickly Lain looked on stage. He sounded great, however, as did the entire band. Surprisingly good sound given the Knickerbocker arena (as it was called then) isn't the greatest sounding arena and the group I was with all had pretty shitty seats way up high near Ed's side of the stage.

I saw AIC open for VH in Bonner springs, KS in 1991.
    Layne was in a wheel chair if i remember right.
    Last edited by johnnybeane; 07.16.13 at 12:57 PM.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

He has mentioned not only Angus, but AC/DC in general, in a few interviews over the years. One such comment related to the fact that he turned Wolfgang onto AC/DC when he was still a mere lad. Also something along the lines that while nearly every AC/DC song sounds alike, what a great song it is...In other words, he gave them serious props as a kick ass band that also happens to write a great song/s.
    I would love to read that.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybeane View Post

I saw AIC open for VH in Bonner springs, KS in 1991.
    Layne was in a wheel chair if i remember right.
    Thanks for posting the video. I'm not sure if it's the lighting, but it appears that Jerry is playing both a blue and amber EBMM in the video. I believe Ed also gave him some of his first signature 5150 amps as part of his gift. I seem to recall Jerry stating in an interview years ago something along the lines of coming home after the tour and opening his garage door to find a shit load of gear and a thank you note from Ed. Pretty cool story.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Yeah, it was in Guitar World. He came home, and there were 2 full stacks that had been sent to him.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Good Enough
    Last Online

From what I've read and heard other musicians mention over the years, Van Halen have always been very good to their opening acts. Not just what we've mentioned about Ed, but as a whole band VH seem to have been most kind to the groups they've hired. Nothing like the horror stories some bands share about their experiences working for other acts.

I'm sure they take to some more than others, like AIC and Baby Animals, but they seem to take care of their opening acts as best they can. I suspect this isn't typical in the music business.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.28.17 @ 01:10 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts

From what I've read and heard other musicians mention over the years, Van Halen have always been very good to their opening acts. Not just what we've mentioned about Ed, but as a whole band VH seem to have been most kind to the groups they've hired. Nothing like the horror stories some bands share about their experiences working for other acts.

I'm sure they take to some more than others, like AIC and Baby Animals, but they seem to take care of their opening acts as best they can. I suspect this isn't typical in the music business.

I've read that as well. Van Halen always giving good young bands a chance. Edward very generous with his equipment. Obviously, he can get all the guitars and amps he wants (from his current supplier). But I've read stories about him giving away guitars and amps to those bands, when he saw their equipment was not up to par.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:35 AM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

yeah I read the same thing in a recent guitar world. Ed was always cool like that. He gave Jerry an amber and blue EBMM and 2 full stack kits according to the interview.

I love reading stuff like this,

Rob

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Eddie's given away a lot of gear over the years. He really is pretty generous with his stuff, the most recent being all those guitars he donated to an L.A. high school for the music program. I don't think I've ever heard a story from an opening act that didn't have a good experience with the VH brothers. Eddie has said numerous times that when they were just starting out they got treated like crap by a lot of bands they opened for...maybe that experience stuck with him and he's determined not to do that.