Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default school drops Michelle Obama lunch standards

New York's Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake school district has become the latest casualty in first lady Michelle Obama’s preferred lunch plan, dropping the menu after too many students complained of hunger.

“[Food service manager Nicky] Boehm and her staff worked hard to implement the new regulations, but there were just too many problems and too many foods that students did not like and would not purchase,” said Assistant Superintendent Chris Abdoo about the National School Lunch Program in a statement reported by EAGNews.org. “Students complained of being hungry with these lunches and the district lost money.”

The school system decided to instead create its own lunch menu for next year.

The district lost about $100,000 trying out the federal menu, which offered such meals as “part” of a chicken patty on a minicroissant, EAGNews.org reported.

“Students felt they weren’t getting good value for their money,” Ms. Boehm said in EAGNews.org. “The high schoolers especially complained the portion sizes were too small and many more students brought in lunch from home.”

This isn’t the first school to drop the federal lunch menu plan. Catlin, Ill., schools did the same, calling the guidelines too “restrictive,” EAGNews.org reported.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is in charge of managing the lunch program and estimates Mrs. Obama’s new wish list for student meals would cost about $3.2 billion to bring to fruition around the nation.

------------------------------------------------

Kids Cheer as School District Opts Out of Michelle Obama’s Lunch Menu

Students in at least one school district will be saved from Michelle Obama’s “restrictive” federal school lunch takeover.

The federal school lunch guidelines that garnered much discontent among students, school staff and parents, are set to fully go into effect in the fall.

But students in the Catlin, Illinois district won’t be enduring the rumbling tummies of other students around the country.

"We're going to have the freedom to do more stuff with our own program, and we want to give people options," Superintendent Gary Lewis told The News-Gazette.

School officials decided to pull out of the National School Lunch Program earlier this spring, after seeing a decline in the number of meals that were served and too much food going into the garbage last year, the paper reported.

"When the federal government changed the nutrition guidelines, they became very restrictive," said Lewis. "If a kid is hungry, they're not going to be able to concentrate in class. We need to work to make sure they're full. That will increase their potential.

"We had to not only offer vegetables but vegetables of a certain color, and we had to offer them so many times a week. I will eat kale. But if I tried to get my 11- and 7-year-old to eat kale, they will look at me like, 'What are you putting on my plate?'"

The superintendent told the paper he received “numerous complaints from students and parents about the new food offerings.”

As a result of opting out, the school district will be increasing its meal prices “slightly” to compensate for the loss of the government subsidy.

Catlin is the latest of many school districts throughout the nation to opt out of the Michelle Obama-promoted overhaul.

Last edited by voivod; 07.10.13 at 04:59 AM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Cost of Complying with Michelle Obama’s School Lunch Overhaul? $3.2 BILLION!

As schools continue to grapple with the school lunch menu overhaul pushed by First Lady Michelle Obama, some are realizing their headache isn’t just from a lack of food.

The program involves way too much green -- and we’re not talking lettuce and brussel sprouts.

We mean the estimated $3.2 billion schools will have to find to implement the new federal regulations. Many schools are also losing money due the unpopular Obama menu.

“New school lunch regulations mean financial losses for Pittsfield Public Schools,” reported the Berkshire Eagle in Massachusetts.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/news/c...ses-pittsfield

The school district expects a program operating loss of more than $100,000 due to a required equipment upgrade, as well as fewer lunches and snacks being sold.

Congressman Todd Rokita, a member of the House Education and Workforce Committee, noted at a recent hearing, “Because the law requires students to take fruits and vegetables for lunch, even if they have no intention of eating them, schools are struggling with increased waste. After implementing the new standards a year early, one Florida school district estimated students threw out $75,000 worth of food.”

“At Dedham High School in Massachusetts, providing the required vegetables in 1500 meals each week costs the district about $111 a day -- but administrators report many students just throw the fresh vegetables right into the trash,” his statement read.

A New York district experienced a 50 percent decline in the number of student purchasing hot lunch.

“This decline in participation made it more difficult for the school to afford to serve lunches and breakfasts that met the federal meal requirements. As a result, the district’s food operation went $59,000 in the red and local leaders ultimately decided to opt-out of the National School Lunch Program,” Rokita said.

The USDA estimates implementation of the new guidelines will cost $3.2 billion over five years. Given that it’s a government estimate -- and if Obamacare is any guide, the cost for schools will likely be much higher.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It's silly that kids are throwing fresh fruit and vegetables away. It's also silly that schools use lunches as a revenue stream.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCrappy View Post
    It's silly that kids are throwing fresh fruit and vegetables away. It's also silly that schools use lunches as a revenue stream.
    It's even more silly to think that those "fresh fruits and vegetables" are actually fresh.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Fuck it. Type 2 Diabetes: It's the American way.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

If your diet consists of eating meals like the one pictured, aren't you supposed to eat more often, like a mid-morning healthy snack and/or an afternoon healthy snack? Do schools adopting these guidelines take that into consideration, or am I on the wrong track? Seems to me that if I have a bowl of carbs, ie cereal, for breakfast, and I'm eating minimal protein for lunch, even if I'm eating all of the fruits and vegetables I'm going to need something else to supplement my diet, to get me through the day. If I were in one of those schools, I'd be black-marketing Snickers bars or something.
    Last edited by UncleCrappy; 07.10.13 at 07:22 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCrappy View Post
    If your diet consists of eating meals like the one pictured, aren't you supposed to eat more often, like a mid-morning healthy snack and/or an afternoon healthy snack? Do schools adopting these guidelines take that into consideration, or am I on the wrong track? Seems to me that if I have a bowl of carbs, ie cereal, for breakfast, and I'm eating minimal protein for lunch, even if I'm eating all of the fruits and vegetables I'm going to need something else to supplement my diet, to get me through the day. If I were in one of those schools, I'd be black-marketing Snickers bars or something.
    In one of my children's schools that have adopted this plan they do have a snack break about an hour after school starts, however that is a snack that is brought in from home which BTW has to fall within the guidelines, ie can't be a snickers bar. There are a lot of kids in the school that get free or reduced breakfast and lunch from the school. However for that morning snack it's up to the parents even if you are one of the poor kids whose parents can't afford to give you breakfast and lunch. Then from lunch time to the 3 hours that school ends there is not a snack time. All 3 of my children have opted to bring in a lunch from home rather than eat the slop that is served at the school.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:19 AM
    Liked 2,208 Times in 1,113 Posts

Premium Member

I don't know about other schools, but the ones I have come in contact with are not looking at it as a revenue stream, but they also don't want a huge cost center where they are throwing money down the drain that could be better spent elsewhere.

At my wife's school, you are required to get something from each area to make sure you have a balanced meal. What was the result? Kids were picking up items solely for the purpose of checking out and then later throwing them away--untouched. It was so bad that the school started putting trays out where kids could stack their untouched items of yogurt, fruit, etc. so they could recycle them rather than see them get thrown away...

...because, you know, just reducing the amount of yogurt or fruit purchased by the school to the make sure the kids that want it, get it, would be a crazy idea.

Why are adults so stupid?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:59 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Give the leftover stuff to Joe Biden. He'll eat it. That's what he's there for. I think.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 4,791 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

I don't have kids and honestly don't care too much about this. However I need to ask this question. Of all the people in the country who understand the dietary needs of kids, how come Michelle Obama is in charge of this?

I mean what qualifies her as an expert in this fields? I understand First Bitches need something (sorry NSA) to do but tell them to read a book like The Joker did. Tell them to "Say No" like Nancy. Heck show them how to look terrifying in a pant suit like Hill Dog.

It would be great if our government could spend half as much time for the other 7 hours kids spend in school as they do with what they feed them. I understand that Michelle probably went "you know what is wrong with our kids today? They eat too much. A diet will fix everything!!!!"

What happens the rest of the day and summer when they are not at school? I am sure their parents are feeding them this Diet by Somalia.

If I had a kid I would make about 10 PB&J sandwiches for them to sell during lunch time. 2 dollars a sandwich. $20/day, $100/week and probably about $4k/year. Invest that over 12 years and you have their college fund

Your welcome.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Apparently the Obama's wife (not the first lady, that's my wife thank you very much) didn't see that short lived Fox show from like...10 years ago or so where Jamie Oliver tried to do something like this where he came up with a healthy menu for kids or something and was basically run out of town by a pitchfork and torch posse.
    Last edited by snostorm; 07.10.13 at 01:59 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I mean what qualifies her as an expert in this fields? I understand First Bitches need something (sorry NSA) to do but tell them to read a book like The Joker did. Tell them to "Say No" like Nancy. Heck show them how to look terrifying in a pant suit like Hill Dog.
    Awesome!

Thanks for the laughs.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:59 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Of all the people in the country who understand the dietary needs of kids, how come Michelle Obama is in charge of this?
    She's Michelle Obama. She can do anything she wants.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Atomic Punk
    Last Online