Register
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Here it is, the official time-line of the reunion. I’ve tried to stick to mostly reliable events, rather than every rumour out there. You will find that the time line supports Dave’s statement. And the Sammy was the only one who appears to have had the real inside scoop:

June 7, 1999: David Lee Roth begins his DLR Band tour in Europe. Dave plays a lot of old VH tunes.

Week of November 5, 1999: Rumours are rampant that Gary Cherone is leaving Van Halen. MTV and others report this rumour.

November 5, 1999: Van Halen releases a statement that Gary has left Van Halen. This is Van Halen’s last official statement on the vocalist situation.

November 16, 1999: at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica Ed has hip surgery.

December 22, 1999: Dave states he will not tour with Sammy Hagar and Van Halen “The one thing you be COMPLETELY certain of is that scenario will never happen”

March 27, 2000: Rumours begin to circulate about a Van Halen and DLR show July 4 at RFK stadium. As we know, they prove to be false.

May 2, 2000 : David Lee Roth records a brand new song, for charity. Ashley Abernathy

May 19, 2000: DLR band disbands. This is an important date, because it means Dave has decided to abandon the direction his solo career was going. It was a strong indication that something was up.

May 26, 2000: The highly exaggerated rumours of Eddie Van Hale having cancer appear.

May 30, 2000 Doctors from the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston make an official announcement declaring Ed does not have cancer.

June 26, 2000 -: The official Van Halen web site is re-designed, but still no news about a singer.

July 14, 2000: Warner Brothers announces it will re-master the original 6 Van Halen Dave era albums.

July 19, 2000: Launch Magazine claims Dave reunion is untrue

July 21, 2000: Yamaha Interview with Mike Anthony is published. Mike states the singer is “A name people will know”. This is another very important date. This is confirmation that VH is recording and they have a singer.

July 28, 2000: in a radio interview, Gary Cherone is asked if Dave is back in Van Halen. Gary’s guitarist, Steve, butts in and says, “YES”.

September 11, 2000: Sammy Hagar says Dave was in the band, but now he has been kicked out again. In a Launch magazine interview, Sammy Hagar says this about Dave and Van Halen: “He's been kicked out of the band already. They couldn't make the record."

September18, 2000: Sammy still claims Dave was in and then kicked out again. Here’s what he said to Rob Putman “they got four songs done with Dave, things didn't work out, it blew up a month or two ago and Van Halen is putting out a box set of David Lee Roth era stuff”. Sure taking a long time to put out a box set, eh? (Editors note: that was what I said back in February 2001 when I first posted this. It appears I should be eating crow. Sammy called it.)

October 10, 2000: David Coverdale ends any and all speculation of him being the fourth singer. “… there is absolutely no basis of truth or any foundation in the rumors of me joining Van Halen”

November 8, 2000: Dave releases new “Techno-single” from his website. Its just a remix of “Dave-isms” from the Van Halen days. Was he trying to tell us something?

November 23, 2000: Dweezil Zappa says Dave is back with Van Halen and they are recording at a KNAC.Com interview.

December 7, 2000: Everybody’s favourite insider Michael Jackson claims the new album with 13 new songs and Dave on vocals would be released before St. Patrick’s Day (March 17) and the single would be release before groundhog day (February 2). Posted right here at the PD. This spurs an avalanche of ”copy-cat” insiders spewing the same “inside” info.

January 18, 2001: Dweezil Zappa states again that Dave is recording with Van Halen. This time he says 6 songs are complete.

January 22, 2001: Mike Anthony says at NAMM that the new album is going back to the old style and will be released in 2001. He seems to indicate that Roth is back, but gives no verbal confirmation.

January 25, 2001 Bradman posts a thread which states “No news is good news” and “things can and do change on a dime”. He appears to be playing down what Mike said at NAMM.

January 26, 2001 David Lee Roth is spotted in Florida prior to the Super-Bowl. When asked if he was in recording with VH he said “yes”, when asked if the band was back together, he replied “we shall see” http://www.vhnd.com/articles/010126-02.shtml

January 31, 2001 A PD member named “MattGerst” post a rumour stating that the reunion is going much slower than previously believed. http://www.vhnd.com/articles/010131-01.shtml

February 17, 2001 Roth sues the Vanhalenstore.com.

February 26, 2001 The New York Daily News writes an article claiming Van halen is with Roth, but album won’t be out until Summer 2002. This spawns more news and press coverage saying the same thing.

March 14, 2001 Dave addresses rumours for the first time, saying “some of them are even true”. http://www.slawterhouse.com/p2/wazzup/wazzup.html

March 28, 2001 Dave makes a statement about Saving the Raymond Theatre in California. In his statement, he appears to take “shot” at Ed. This causes wild speculation. The next day he addresses this speculation and appears to take a “shot” at Alex. http://www.slawterhouse.com/p2/wazzup/wazzup.html

April 10, 2001 Doc McGhee is rumoured to be VH new manager. He denies this on April 18, but says he would like to. http://www.vhnd.com/articles/010410-01.shtml

April 19, 2001 Dave clearly and decisively addresses the rumours. This time he admits he had been making new songs and in contact with Van Halen from about May 2000 to July 2000. But no contact since. This naturally created an up-roar with fans.

April 20, 2001 Van Halen breaks its 18 month silence with a brief message that re-states what Brad had said on February 26. Don’t believe until we say. They indirectly call Daves statement a “rumour”. However the band did official say they are working on a new album. This does nothing to ease the tensions of fans. 18 months of silence and we still know very little about the state of the band.

And there you have it. The entire reunion time line. You can see that a lot was happening in July. And then its all far fetched rumour again. The only person that seems to have made this call ahead of time was Sammy Hagar. Sam basically said what Dave, eventually confirmed, back in September 2000.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

First off, the Songs of Love recording was done in December, if I recall. The news about it came out in May.

Second, far too many of those dates involve unverifiable rumors from annoymous sources. They gotta go.

You should have the last date of Dave's tour in there. Jan 10th. There's probably a few other things too...

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

I did not write this Timeline. Someone from the PD did. He said feel free to post it on other sites. So I did. If you want to close it go ahead.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    No need to close it.

Someone wanna delete the rumors outta it though? Kinda defeats the purpose of summerising it in a timeline if you include rumors. Why not put eddymons 'a perfect storm' rumor in it? Or TBS's 'bionic ear' video shoot?
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Tell ya what, leave it here for a bit - anyone who wants to add something to it, or sees an amendment, post it here, and I'll put up an amended VH-Links version of it.

Nice idea tho, kudos to the domer whos compiled it.

[ April 22, 2001 at 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Goo ]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

now i'm not raggin on anyone or bustin chops, but we are in the dark more than ever now unfortunately.

no one knows jack shit, and if they do, they ain't sayin nothin. the only "official" source we have is brad and his word ain't gospel because you have to assume that he is told what to say.

so basically, we are gonna be in the dark until these guys get their heads outta their asses. at the rate we're going, we're all gonna do another new years party unfortunately before this thing gets goin.

and i doubt we will ever know what held this thing up for so long. they will always tell us it was legalities...yadda yadda. anyone with a brain knows by now it goes beyond that. plain and simple folks, this is our favorite band, but our least favorite poeple right now. they have spurned the fans and left us by the wayside for almost 2 years now with nothing. from what i see, this is almost becoming like politics...and that's just plain bad. there's really no reason for all of this bullshit. yes i am pissed. ed needs to get off his ass and understand that he needs to put certain things behind him if it is ever gonna work. his cancer scare doesn't factor in here unless it was serious. he needs to understand that he needs to make a decision. this is bullshit

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AJW:

January 31, 2001 A PD member named “MattGerst” post a rumour stating that the reunion is going much slower than previously believed. http://www.vhnd.com/articles/010131-01.shtml
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought this was completely made up by someone who had been paying close attention to all the rumours. It seems to agree with the stuff Dave said though [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If you want to leave the thing wide open to all sorts of speculation, you kind of need to figure out anyone that could potentially sing for the band and see what they've been up to.

We should start making a list and not crossing anyone off until they do something or say something about it...
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

the only one who is gonna sing for them now is dave. no how, no way is another singer gonna work this time around. think about it, it's not feasible. no way is someone else gonna try their hand at doing 20 years of halen tunes on stage and write their own to mix in well enough with the lst 3 versions of the band.

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw