Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 11,777 Times in 6,523 Posts

Premium Member

Default Supreme Court strikes down key part of Voting Rights Act

In a decision that marks the end of a major civil rights-era reform, the Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that the federal government can no longer force states and jurisdictions with a long-past history of voting discrimination to have to get federal approval for all of their voting laws.

The 5-4 ruling rewrites a key tool of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which for five decades has given the federal government unprecedented say in everything from how some states draw their congressional maps to where they place polling locations.

But beneath the legal ruling is a broader social significance, with the justices saying that past discrimination cannot be perpetually held against a state.

“The Fifteenth Amendment commands that the right to vote shall not be denied or abridged on account of race or color, and it gives Congress the power to enforce that command. The amendment is not designed to punish for the past; its purpose is to ensure a better future,” Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote for the majority.

The court’s four liberal-leaning justices dissented.

The Voting Rights Act injected the federal government deep into states’ voting practices as a way of combating states — primarily in the South — who had a history of laws or practices that discriminated against black voters.

Nine states are covered in their entirety, while counties and townships in six other states are also constrained by the so-called “preclearance” section, which means they must send all voting changes to the federal government for review before they can take effect. That gives the federal government review over everything ranging from new congressional representation maps and voter-identification laws all the way down to moving a polling place across the road.

The preclearance provisions were deemed so drastic that when Congress enacted them in 1965, they were temporary. Lawmakers renewed in 1970, 1975, 1982 and, most recently, in 2006, when Congress extended them for 25 more years.

Tuesday’s court decision stands in some ways as a rebuke of Congress.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2XEuSuqPy
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

The party of "tolerance" strikes again.

A Democratic lawmaker from Minnesota criticized Tuesday’s Supreme Court decision on the Voting Rights Act by calling Justice Clarence Thomas “Uncle Thomas,” then saying he didn’t know “Uncle Tom” was a racist epithet.

On his Twitter account Tuesday, state Rep. Ryan Winkler called the justices’ 5-4 ruling striking down a part of the law racist, and the work of “four accomplices to race discrimination and one Uncle Thomas.” Justice Thomas, who is black, was one of the five justices in the majority.

That tweet was quickly deleted, and Mr. Winkler, who is white and represents some upper middle class suburbs west-southwest of Minneapolis, offered a conditional-tense quasi-apology in subsequent tweets.

He said he “didn’t think it was offensive to suggest that Justice Thomas should be even more concerned about racial discrimination than colleagues. But if such a suggestion is offensive, I apologize.”

However Mr. Winkler, whose website says he has an undergraduate history degree from Harvard and a law degree from the University of Minnesota, seemed to dig the hole deeper in a subsequent tweet, in which he said the racism of the term “Uncle Tom” was disputed and unknown to him.

“I did not understand ‘Uncle Tom’ as a racist term, and there seems to be some debate about it. I do apologize for it, however,” he said.

Later still, as backlash against his comments spread through political blogs and social network sites, Mr. Winkler issued a statement through the state House apologizing for his usage, though he neither specified the word nor mentioned Justice Thomas.

“In expressing that disappointment [with Tuesday’s Supreme Court decision] on Twitter, I hastily used a loaded term that is offensive to many. My words were inappropriate and I apologize,” he said. “I regret that my comments have distracted from the serious dialogue we must have going forward to ensure racial discrimination has no place in our election system.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2XGOBinV7
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Hot For Teacher Amish Van Halen's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

at this time - OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

08.04.15 @ 12:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    The party of "tolerance" strikes again.

A Democratic lawmaker from Minnesota criticized Tuesday’s Supreme Court decision on the Voting Rights Act by calling Justice Clarence Thomas “Uncle Thomas,” then saying he didn’t know “Uncle Tom” was a racist epithet.

On his Twitter account Tuesday, state Rep. Ryan Winkler called the justices’ 5-4 ruling striking down a part of the law racist, and the work of “four accomplices to race discrimination and one Uncle Thomas.” Justice Thomas, who is black, was one of the five justices in the majority.

That tweet was quickly deleted, and Mr. Winkler, who is white and represents some upper middle class suburbs west-southwest of Minneapolis, offered a conditional-tense quasi-apology in subsequent tweets.

He said he “didn’t think it was offensive to suggest that Justice Thomas should be even more concerned about racial discrimination than colleagues. But if such a suggestion is offensive, I apologize.”

However Mr. Winkler, whose website says he has an undergraduate history degree from Harvard and a law degree from the University of Minnesota, seemed to dig the hole deeper in a subsequent tweet, in which he said the racism of the term “Uncle Tom” was disputed and unknown to him.

“I did not understand ‘Uncle Tom’ as a racist term, and there seems to be some debate about it. I do apologize for it, however,” he said.

Later still, as backlash against his comments spread through political blogs and social network sites, Mr. Winkler issued a statement through the state House apologizing for his usage, though he neither specified the word nor mentioned Justice Thomas.

“In expressing that disappointment [with Tuesday’s Supreme Court decision] on Twitter, I hastily used a loaded term that is offensive to many. My words were inappropriate and I apologize,” he said. “I regret that my comments have distracted from the serious dialogue we must have going forward to ensure racial discrimination has no place in our election system.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2XGOBinV7
    Politicians shouldn't have Twitter accounts. Or at the very least, pay someone to proofread your stupidity before you get the chance to post a tweet.
    Best concert ever...88 Monsters of Rock at the LA Coliseum with VH, Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken and Kingdom Come.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amish Van Halen View Post
    Politicians shouldn't have Twitter accounts. Or at the very least, pay someone to proofread your stupidity before you get the chance to post a tweet.
    Athletes and celebs neither.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:50 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Amish Van Halen View Post
    I disagree. You're more likely to maybe find out what someone really thinks if the masses have access to their un-abridged & un-polished politi-speak.

Besides, it's fun to watch them back-peddle.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default UNBELIEVABLE

WH Touts Kenyan Program to Obtain National ID Cards for Voter Registration

As President Obama and his family continue their tour of Africa, the White House put out a Fact Sheet entitled "U.S. Support for Strengthening Democratic Institutions, Rule of Law, and Human Rights in Sub-Saharan Africa." One of the first items highlighted by the White House is a $53 million program in Kenya that helps young people "obtain National identification cards, a prerequisite to voter registration."

Civil society and independent media play a critical role in any vibrant democracy. Across sub-Saharan Africa, the United States supports efforts to ensure civil society organizations and independent media can organize, advocate, and raise awareness with governments and the private sector to improve political processes, transparency, and government performance. Examples include:

• In Kenya, the $53 million Yes Youth Can program empowers nearly one million Kenyan youth to use their voices for advocacy in national and local policy-making, while also creating economic opportunities. In advance of Kenya’s March 2013 general elections, Yes Youth Can’s “My ID My Life” campaign helped 500,000 youth obtain National identification cards, a prerequisite to voter registration, and carried out a successful nationwide campaign with Kenyan civic organizations to elicit peace pledges from all presidential aspirants. [emphasis added]

At an August 2012 press briefing, Jay Carney had the following to say about a Texas voter ID law:

And on the voter ID case, I can tell you that, as you know, this administration believes it should be easier for eligible citizens to vote -- to register and vote. We should not be imposing unnecessary obstacles or barriers to voter participation.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...on_737990.html

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...carney-8302012

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

The hyperbolic reaction by the left to this decision was hilarious.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Why is it that so many politicians fail at history and civil rights/liberties?

Who doesn't learn about Uncle Tom's Cabin growing up?
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,237 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by xaminer View Post
    Why is it that so many politicians fail at history and civil rights/liberties?

Who doesn't learn about Uncle Tom's Cabin growing up?
    He knew exactly what he was writing. There is no other explanation for describing him as "uncle" otherwise.

It's hilarious that he isn't being dragged through the streets when another politician was drilled for describing someone as "mukaka"...a word no one has ever heard of, yet journalists decided was a racial slur.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

How about this one. I watched it live on MSNBC (Martin Bashir).

MICHAEL ERIC DYSON: "Clarence Thomas's actions here today, though consistent, though tragic to me, are even more so in light of the bulk of decisions he's rendered in the name of a judicial vote on the Supreme Court. A symbolic Jew has invited a metaphoric Hitler to commit holocaust and genocide upon his own people."