Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Dave's Stage Show (physically)

Gotta say, the footage from Japan looks & sounds really good.
    I'm happy to say the show I saw with my son in 2012 was the best VH show I'd seen to date.
    One thing that has struck me. Dave seems to barely move on stage now, comparative to even shows in the early 2000's. I totally understand that he is in his late 50's etc and may have some injuries from 35 yrs of touring. It has dawned on me that the days of "Tarzan Dave" are probably over. All that said, does DLR have some permanent injuries that I am unaware of? Cuz' he just seems to be pacing around and other than spinning his baton, that's about it.
    The fan in me wants to see some of the old moves, but I'm coming to the conclusion that, that ship appears to have sailed
    Last edited by cav; 06.22.13 at 03:02 AM. Reason: NA

Favorite VH Album

All w/ DLR
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.15.15 @ 04:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave sounds the best I've ever ever ever heard him. holy fuck!!!!! He sounds like roth from 82', but maybe even better bc he's sober. This is almost a mindfuck how good it is. he's so in control, his range and the throat whistle is back. wow...
    "The only reason someone tells you that you can't do something is because it makes it easier for them to accept their own failures"-Paul Stanley

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

Madmikey do you have a link to him using the throat whistle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The only adventures I regret are the ones I missed" David Lee Roth

Van Halen- Atlanta - 98
    David Lee Roth - Atlanta - 02
    Sammy Hagar & David Lee Roth - Atlanta - 02
    David Lee Roth. Atlanta - 03
    Van Halen - Atlanta - 04
    Van Halen - Atlanta - 08
    Chickenfoot - Atlanta - 09

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 79 Times in 38 Posts

Mike is a class act......just sayin

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 266 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    Gotta say, the footage from Japan looks & sounds really good.
    I'm happy to say the show I saw with my son in 2012 was the best VH show I'd seen to date.
    One thing that has struck me. Dave seems to barely move on stage now, comparative to even shows in the early 2000's. I totally understand that he is in his late 50's etc and may have some injuries from 35 yrs of touring. It has dawned on me that the days of "Tarzan Dave" are probably over. All that said, does DLR have some permanent injuries that I am unaware of? Cuz' he just seems to be pacing around and other than spinning his baton, that's about it.
    The fan in me wants to see some of the old moves, but I'm coming to the conclusion that, that ship appears to have sailed

I think you answered your own question.

Age.

He has to pace himself. Dave was far from still however... he just is a bit careful.
    He has the soft pad on his part of the stage so he's not grinding those leg joints every night. He's a smart guy who's taking precautions.

Technology has also improved in stage production:

Dave now has those big video monitors to work with ... and he is a visual guy who knows how to those cameras to the maximum effect.

Last night's show was at times like watching a music video.

It was a grand time.

Warm regards,
    mrC.
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First, VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Top J/Doctor/HoP/Fools
    Last Online

05.24.16 @ 03:24 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

The guy is still in great shape, a life long martial artist and workout warrior. He's probably pacing himself because, as with anyone who ages, it gets harder to move like that. And when he does do something, it gets a good pop. I do think his days of jumping off Al's drum riser are over though.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 180 Times in 91 Posts

There's a recent interview where Dave talks about how he's had two or three back surgeries within the last five years and some nights can't sleep because of it. He added that he has to literally sleep in a chair leaned at a certain angle to get any sleep.

He's much like an athlete where he has his aches and pains after years of performing but he's still in great shape and can still entertain.

Once you stop keeping your eye on his every move on stage is when you know he doesn't have it anymore. That isn't the case.

He's a creative guy and we're seeing with the different moves that he's finding ways to replace his 100 mph fastball with some other interesting curve balls!

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EAS View Post
    There's a recent interview where Dave talks about how he's had two or three back surgeries within the last five years and some nights can't sleep because of it. He added that he has to literally sleep in a chair leaned at a certain angle to get any sleep.

He's much like an athlete where he has his aches and pains after years of performing but he's still in great shape and can still entertain.

Once you stop keeping your eye on his every move on stage is when you know he doesn't have it anymore. That isn't the case.

He's a creative guy and we're seeing with the different moves that he's finding ways to replace his 100 mph fastball with some other interesting curve balls!
    Anything to do with your back is serious. That tells me a lot about why he is being cautious out there. Either way, the band is smoking right now. So glad they are still going. For the longest time, it felt OVER

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

I didn't know Dave had one back surgery, let alone three. Damn...that shit is serious business. I've been avoiding having neck surgery for ten years because...well...I didn't want it to turn into two or three surgeries. This is why I don't let any of the past drama deter me from seeing them. It could all be over tomorrow. When they tour, I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Ode to DLR

Once, long ago, the King of the Swagger,
    Swaggering more than the mighty Mick Jagger,
    Now if he tries he'll surely just stagger,
    A cruel blow to the ego, from age, a sharp dagger.

I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:53 PM
    Liked 510 Times in 179 Posts

Something I said on another thread about a year ago:

Yeah, (in 2008) Eddie was more energetic and didn't play as well-- vice versa this time. Dave was less energetic and sang better-- vice versa this time. If I didn't know better, it would seem that running and jumping a lot makes it sound sloppier than the records. Glad we've cleared this up.

Look it's a give and take, isn't it? When Dave just stood there and concentrated on singing in 2008, people complained that he wasn't being much of a showman. Now that he's putting on a performance closer to the old Diamond Dave, people are complaining that he doesn't sound perfect. Sorry, but if you look at the clip of, say, "Hear About It Later" from Oakland '81, the band is electric... and Dave plays fast and loose with the lyrics (if he says them at all), and is frequently off-key. And it's GREAT.

Is Dave's voice quite what it was then? No, it isn't, and I don't get why people are expecting it to be. Voices change over the years-- Sinatra at 25 didn't sound that much like Sinatra at 45. His range diminished, and he compensated stylistically. I MUCH prefer the Frank of the '60s to the Frank of the '40s.

Is Dave, in his late '50s, as physically capable as he was at 30? No, of course not. But he still does the job, especially physically. He is still the greatest showman in rock. Personally, I'm astounded at what this guy can still do.
    "There will always be a Holyfield or a Tyson, but there's only one Mohammad Ali. There will always be a new body building champion, but there's only one Arnold. And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be." - David Lee Roth

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...yarcwoiovu.jpg

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:33 AM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Let's not forget that back in the early 80's, Dave was doing a lot of those insane drum riser leaps, spins and general jumping around usually loaded to some degree just like Eddie so they pushed themselves with far less care and more recklessness than a typical athlete. Even in the 90's when he wrote his Crazy From The Heat book, he mentions that his knees were shot and doctors had said his body had a lot more wear and tear then most physically active guys half his age.

Considering the guy at least *looks* as fit as he does and is still active to a small degree onstage at this point in his career (especially compared to 95% of the far younger shoe gazing frontmen in most bands these days) is pretty remarkable. The fact that he's addressing his singing issues successfully once again is frankly, a welcome trade off if it's at the expense of some helicopter spin kicks and drum riser jumps.

Not everyone can be a seemingly tireless rock n' roll machine in his 60's like Bruce Springsteen.

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

dave also mentioned in the interveiw hes had 4 shoulder surgeries and he sawed the arm off of a swivel chair and has to sleep with his body leaning against the wall.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:01 AM
    Liked 398 Times in 177 Posts

Yeah, have not seen any spinning in air back kicks these past couple shows. Did a ton of them in 07/08. Sparingly in 2012. He may just be at that point where the potential for injury is too great or it literally hurts too much. Hell five years difference can be huge in terms of your body. At 34 I could still run and jump and stop quickly playing soccer, now five years later everything hurts from my back to my knees. And I'm only 39! You can have quite a change in what your body can handle in just five years.

Recent Ed interview he was asked "so, can you still do those flying scissor kicks you use to do?". Ed responded "oh yea! It's just the landing that hurts." with a smile on his face. Brought a dose of reality there. Shit just starts to hurt when you age, so you stop doin it lol.

All of the above OR Dave is recovering still from some physical injury or taking it easy after back surgery.