Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Default 80 percent of US packaged foods may contain dangerous chemicals

80 percent of US packaged foods may contain dangerous chemicals

Roughly 80 percent of all the packaged foods sold within the United States contain chemicals outlawed in other parts of the world, Britain’s Daily Mail reports.

Six common food additives found in an estimated 8-out-of-10 products sold in American stores are banned outside of the US, the Mail claims, putting millions of Americans at risk of consuming chemicals considered too dangerous for humans in other countries.

Grocery shop items including best-selling soft-drinks and cereal sold in the US contain additives such as brominated vegetable oil, olestra and others that have been banned in the European Union and elsewhere.

The Daily Mail cites ‘Rich Food, Poor Food,' a recently published book by Jayson Calton and Mira Calton, as the source for their claim that the majority of American groceries contain the additives.

Among the common items containing the chemicals are Mountain Dew, Chex Mix and Hungry Man frozen dinners, which are made with additives outlawed overseas due to health risks. The Caltons say these products are filled with some of the six “Banned Bad Boys” that are used in America but absent in supermarkets overseas.

“One of the most common 'Bad Boys' is different variations of food coloring, which actually is made from petroleum and is found in everyday items like soda, sports drinks, mac and cheese, cake, candy and several other common, American products,” reports the Daily Mail. One of the chemicals in that food coloring, they add, has been proven to cause various different cancers. Those artificial dyes have been outlawed in Norway, Finland, Austria, France and the United Kingdom

Another additive, brominated vegetable oil, has been banned in over 100 countries because it’s been linked to causing major organ damage, birth defects and hearing loss, among other side effects. Brominated vegetable oil, or BVO, is used in Mountain Dew, Gatorade, Powerade and Squirt — and around 10 percent of all drinks sold in the US.

A petition started earlier this year to get BVOs out of beverages sold in the US received over 206,000 signatures on the website Change.org.

“BVO is banned other places in the world, so these companies already have a replacement for it,” the petition’s author, Sarah Kavanagh, told The New York Times. “I don’t see why they don’t just make the switch.”

Another additive, potassium bromate, is used in American bakeries to speed up the process of preparing wraps, rolls and other bread products. It’s derived from the same chemical as BVO, though, and has been tied to causing kidney damage and cancer. That’s why it’s been outlawed in Europe, Canada and China, but not in the US.

Also on the Calton’s list is azodicarbonamide, a chemical the Daily Mail notes is used to make things like bleach and rubber yoga mats.

Azodicarbonamide is “approved to be a bleaching agent in cereal flour” and is “permitted for direct addition to food for human consumption,” according to the Food and Drug Administration. Along with waxy preservatives called butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) used in bubble gums, though, the additive has been banned in parts of Europe for potential health risks.

Rounding out the authors’ 'Bad Boys' list are Synthetic growth hormones rBGH and rBST and the chemical arsenic. They’ve both been banned in the EU for a variety of reasons, and perhaps for good reason: the arsenic put in American poultry can kill a human being if consumed in a high enough dosage.
    http://rt.com/usa/banned-additives-food-outlawed-089/
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:15 AM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

And yet, bizarrely, the American Food Police kicked up a HUGE stink about Quorn, a mushroom-based protein product, because it might, VERY rarely, trigger an allergic reaction (far less likely than peanut derivatives).

Methinks it was more to do with the fact that it's not American, and is far tastier than soya-based products which ARE often manufactured in the States...It's yet another conspiracy, I tells ya!

Anyway, back to the topic in question. It's true, we often marvel at the horrendous sh*t you guys allow in your foodstuffs. The brominated vegetable oil spoken of here is renowned for being terribly dangerous! And another additive not mentioned in this article but which has been banned over here is the infamous corn syrup - again (as with the Quorn), part of an American governmental / farming lobby agenda. It's shocking to me - though not surprising - how the US food authorities stack money and health against one another, and invariably give more weight to money.

It really is time the American people rose up, en-masse, and protested the wrongs being done to the national health. That's if the corn-syrup hasn't had the unfortunate effect of rendering Americans so overweight and lethargic that they can't, physically, "rise up" any more (which, actually, when you think about it, is probably the intention...Feed the people cr*p, so that they are no longer capable of rebellion...THAT wouldn't surprise me either!).
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    And yet, bizarrely, the American Food Police kicked up a HUGE stink about Quorn, a mushroom-based protein product, because it might, VERY rarely, trigger an allergic reaction (far less likely than peanut derivatives).

Methinks it was more to do with the fact that it's not American, and is far tastier than soya-based products which ARE often manufactured in the States...It's yet another conspiracy, I tells ya!

Anyway, back to the topic in question. It's true, we often marvel at the horrendous sh*t you guys allow in your foodstuffs. The brominated vegetable oil spoken of here is renowned for being terribly dangerous! And another additive not mentioned in this article but which has been banned over here is the infamous corn syrup - again (as with the Quorn), part of an American governmental / farming lobby agenda. It's shocking to me - though not surprising - how the US food authorities stack money and health against one another, and invariably give more weight to money.

It really is time the American people rose up, en-masse, and protested the wrongs being done to the national health. That's if the corn-syrup hasn't had the unfortunate effect of rendering Americans so overweight and lethargic that they can't, physically, "rise up" any more (which, actually, when you think about it, is probably the intention...Feed the people cr*p, so that they are no longer capable of rebellion...THAT wouldn't surprise me either!).

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 AM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Diet Sodas have been killing people since the 1960's.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,342 Times in 3,187 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Hell no dot rise up. Obama can kill anyone he wants, the drones will find you and them tap your phone. You can't do that shit anymore. They'll Hoffa your ass.

Just use common sense which sadly isn't common anymore.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    It really is that simple, isn't it?

A few extra dollars spent, but what a fine life decision I made by going organic.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I'd be willing to bet I'm allergic to it, but it's okay 'cause I hate mushrooms anyway, so you're not likely to catch me trying it!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thankfully people are becoming more aware of certain bad practices like these. The next thing to watch out for is the re-labeling of items to confuse us. When we caught on to high fructose corn syrup, it suddenly becomes known simply as corn sugar. And there are dozens of names for MSG, to confuse people. And so on.
    Staying Frosty

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I'd be willing to bet I'm allergic to it, but it's okay 'cause I hate mushrooms anyway, so you're not likely to catch me trying it!
    You LOON! It doesn't taste or look anything like mushrooms!!! It's derived from a protein genetically linked to mushrooms - that's about as close as it gets!

Take a risk; try some - LIVE DANGEROUSLY!!! You never know, it might make you even MORE of a fungi!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    it doesn't taste anything like mushrooms and as a meat analogue it is one of the better ones...I still like my old school Tofurky tho
    but I have noticed lately that a lot of the Quorn products are coming out with battered and fried versions and they have a lot of sodium and fat

the Jalapeno and cheese quorn cutlets have

Calories 290

Calories from fat 140

Total fat 15.0g

Saturated fat 4.0g

Trans fat 0.0g

Cholesterol 20.0mg

Sodium 680mg

Total carbohydrate 26.0g

Dietary fiber 5.0g

Sugar 3.0g

Protein 13.0g

as a "health" product that seems a bit high in sodium and Cholestral to me

they're not bad as a once in a while thing

but tempeh...now THAT I guarantee you would hate

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

You LOON! It doesn't taste or look anything like mushrooms!!! It's derived from a protein genetically linked to mushrooms - that's about as close as it gets!

Take a risk; try some - LIVE DANGEROUSLY!!! You never know, it might make you even MORE of a fungi!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    it doesn't taste anything like mushrooms and as a meat analogue it is one of the better ones...I still like my old school Tofurky tho
    but I have noticed lately that a lot of the Quorn products are coming out with battered and fried versions and they have a lot of sodium and fat

Calories 290

Calories from fat 140

Total fat 15.0g

Saturated fat 4.0g

Trans fat 0.0g

Cholesterol 20.0mg

Sodium 680mg

Total carbohydrate 26.0g

Dietary fiber 5.0g

Sugar 3.0g

Protein 13.0g

Doesn't matter if it tastes like mushrooms - if the little bastards are present, I might become violently ill, and I don't like that!
    Last edited by billy007; 06.22.13 at 06:17 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

I am pretty sure that every fresh vegetable has some sort of carcinogens in them...even ones that have anti-carcinogens have carcinogens. Nothing is safe, well, except gravel. Gravel has ZERO carcinogens. Mutated genetically made mushrooms...causes nausea world-wide. Someone contact Jack Reacher. He'll figure it out jumping on someones couch.

The first part of my post is true....the last part is meant to be funny.
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

Calories 290

Calories from fat 140

Total fat 15.0g

Saturated fat 4.0g

Trans fat 0.0g

Cholesterol 20.0mg

Sodium 680mg

Total carbohydrate 26.0g

Dietary fiber 5.0g

Sugar 3.0g

Protein 13.0g

Horse meat is healthier.
    Just go for it!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BREW CREW View Post
    Horse meat is healthier.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 06.23.13 at 12:13 AM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw