Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

10.21.16 @ 07:42 PM
    Liked 5,986 Times in 3,257 Posts

Premium Member

Default Stunning Video of Parkinson's Treatment

Stunning Video Shows Parkinson’s Patient Before and After Turning ‘Deep Brain’ Treatment Device Off

Patients suffering from Parkinson’s disease lose some of their motor function, leading to violent trembling, rigidity and stiffness, among other symptoms. There are a variety of treatments for this disease, one of the most invasive being Deep Brain Stimulation.

A New Zealand man who had this procedure done — neurotransmitters were placed deep in his brain in areas where electrical nerve signals create the symptoms of Parkinson’s — and recently showed what he is like with the Deep Brain Stimulation device turned on and off. And the video is stunning.

Andrew Johnson, the 35-year-old Auckland man and author of the blog Young and Shaky, wrote that he was “curious about what would happen when I turned my neuro-stimulator off.” He explained he would be flying and wanted to be prepared if going through airport security screeners would turn off the implanted device, which he wrote was known to happen.

Since having DBS neurotransmitters implanted in 2012 and earlier this year, Johnson wrote he had never turned them off before.

“Can shake some quality cocktails with the right and the left just looks like the royal wave,” Johnson said of his hands shaking after turning off the device.

Johnson not only can’t control his movement, but also has a hard time speaking without the DBS implant on.

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Good Enough

05.15.16 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

My former boss went through this procedure recently. Until then, medications had kept the Parkinson's symptoms in check, but when they began to lose their effectiveness, he opted for the deep brain stim. It's fascinating stuff. Thanks for sharing the video.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

10.21.16 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 10,923 Times in 5,365 Posts

Premium Member

Now THAT is a fucking disease.

Poor guy, happy for them that they have found this treatment. I can remember reading about it a while ago, but have never seen it demonstrated like that. Cool stuff, thanks for posting.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!