at this time - OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

08.04.15 @ 12:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Fox News sued over airing suicide of Phoenix chase suspect

Associated Press Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:37 PM

A woman sued Fox News Network for airing live footage last fall of a carjacking suspect in a police chase committing suicide in the Arizona desert and not using a time delay that would have prevented the death from being broadcast on national television.

The lawsuit alleges the children of 33-year-old suspect JoDon Romero have suffered emotional distress from having seen the video of their father fatally shooting himself on Sept. 28 at the end of an 80-mile car chase.

The lawsuit seeking unspecified damages was filed June 6 in county court in metro Phoenix by Angela Rodriguez, the mother of Romero’s three sons, ages 15, 13 and 9. It was also filed against Fox Entertainment Group Inc. and Fox’s parent company, News Corp.

The network issued a statement saying it couldn’t comment because of the pending litigation.

Fox News was covering the chase using a live helicopter shot from Phoenix affiliate KSAZ-TV. Anchor Shepard Smith told viewers that the video was supposed to be on a delay so it could be cut off if something went awry and that the footage didn’t belong on TV and apologized for it. “Get off it,” Smith said repeatedly immediately after the suicide was aired.

The lawsuit said the Phoenix affiliate succeeded in using its time delay.

The chase began in Phoenix when police say Romero had a minor incident in which he apparently hit a passing car with his hand, leading to a call to police. As officers were heading to the scene, police say Romero stole a car at gunpoint and police began an hour-long pursuit on an interstate west of Phoenix. Authorities say Romero opened fire and eventually drove off into the desert, got out of the car, began walking down a dirt road and eventually killed himself.

The lawsuit said a rumor at the school of Romero’s sons had generated buzz among students about a televised suicide, so the two older boys went home and viewed the footage on YouTube. “As they watched, they realized in horror that they were watching their father,” Rodriguez’s attorney, Joel Robbins, said in the lawsuit.

The lawsuit said Romero’s two oldest boys haven’t returned to school since seeing the video and have suffered emotional distress, including experiencing flashbacks.

Romero’s youngest son hasn’t been fully evaluated but has still experienced considerable emotional distress, the lawsuit said.
    Best concert ever...88 Monsters of Rock at the LA Coliseum with VH, Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken and Kingdom Come.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

As much as I hate Fox News, I don't see how they're in the wrong here. From what I remember, they did cut away from it pretty fast. It's not as if it was pre-recorded and then put the video on a loop over and over.

Hot For Teacher Amish Van Halen's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

at this time - OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

08.04.15 @ 12:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a tough one. I feel for the kids who witnessed their dad offing himself on TV. Fox should have never let the footage go for as long as it did. Someone just feel asleep at the wheel. But like you, I don't know how they are held accountable beyond just being stupid at the time.
    Best concert ever...88 Monsters of Rock at the LA Coliseum with VH, Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken and Kingdom Come.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

wait a second, their father commmitted suicide and they are suing the tv station for emotional distress? Isn't, I don't know, their father the one to blame here?

The network should be fined up the ass by the FCC (or whoever handles that stuff) but a law from the family is just silly. Are the kids messed up now? Yeah probably. Blame daddy.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Who let his kids watch it? It was a school day and took place from about 11am to 12:30 when he offed himself. If the kids looked it up on line themselves after the fact they have nobody to blame but themselves for watching it.

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Amish Van Halen View Post
    This is a tough one. I feel for the kids who witnessed their dad offing himself on TV. Fox should have never let the footage go for as long as it did. Someone just feel asleep at the wheel. But like you, I don't know how they are held accountable beyond just being stupid at the time.

This will be somewhat interesting to watch.

The concept of FOX NEWS being succesfully sued for being stupid, asleep at a switch, innaccurate and thoughtless on any level is intriguing to me because they are consistently all of the above.

Imagine the precedent set if this suit is succesful, FOX would face a new lawsuit everyday.

I like it.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    This will be somewhat interesting to watch.

The concept of FOX NEWS being succesfully sued for being stupid, asleep at a switch, innaccurate and thoughtless on any level is intriguing to me because they are consistently all of the above.

Imagine the precedent set if this suit is succesful, FOX would face a new lawsuit everyday.

I like it.
    So would MSNBC, although they also slander a lot.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I have plenty of reasons to despise Fox. This ain't one of them. Toss this stupid ass lawsuit out and let's move on.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:09 PM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    So would MSNBC, although they also slander a lot.
    You ain't lyin'.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Here's the big question we all ought to be asking: Why is a car chase news?

If people (all of us here included) were half as interested in the actions of our local school boards and city councils as we are with car chases and celebrity news, we'd be much better off.

These small government bodies are the ones deciding whether and when to fix your roads, raise your taxes, extend your kid's school year, etc. This affects you day in and day out. Yet I'd guess most of us couldn't name one person sitting on the local county commission (you know - the people who regulate the taxes you pay on utilities).

Priorities are backwards.