Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.21.16 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 773 Times in 309 Posts

Default pictures of suitcases left in a New York insane asylum by patients locked away

When patients were committed to the Willard Asylum for the Insane in Upstate New York, they arrived with a suitcase packed with all of the possessions they thought they needed for their time inside.

Most never left. The mental hospital had an average stay of nearly 30 years. When patients died, they were buried in nameless graves across the street of the asylum. Their suitcases, with all their worldly possessions, were locked in an attic and forgotten.

In 1995, an employee of the mental hospital discovered the suitcases, 400 of them. They date from 1910 to 1960.

Read more:
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 11:38 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 78 Posts

Interesting pics. Very cool.

Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

10.07.16 @ 05:28 PM
    Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts

Captivating pics.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

10.16.16 @ 03:12 AM
    Liked 1,193 Times in 821 Posts

Premium Member

So very, very sad.

Mental asylums could be - and frequently were - atrocious places. However, the 'alternative' (certainly in this country) has proved to be similarly dreadful for everybody involved...

I'm talking of Thatcher's 'marvellous' idea to close down all the asylums, and replace with the notion of 'Care in the Community'. A laudable concept, no doubt. Apart from the sad fact that there isn't much sense of 'community' in Western society any more - and nobody really 'cares' about anybody else.

Lack of investment meant (and still means) that there are very few public servants paid to take care of the mentally ill residing in our towns - so they don't get the treatment they need, and are often incapable of taking care of themselves. End result? Lonely, distraught, and mentally ill people sleeping (and rotting) on the streets. Not only is that a tragic state of affairs for them, it's occasionally resulted in tragedy for the general public too, when those with severe, and untreated, mental illness have attacked and killed perfectly innocent passers-by.

I firmly believe that there should be safe, secure, comfortable, and respectful premises provided by the government to look after those suffering with such extreme psychiatric disorders that they can't do it for themselves. And these 'institutions' need to be seen not as 'jails', where the inmates are prisoners and victims of torture and neglect - but as places where those in dire need of their services can finally find comfort and an alleviation of distress.

Just my twopenneth!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980