Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:13 PM
    Liked 11,730 Times in 6,499 Posts

Premium Member

Default Obama Threatens Veto of Religious Protection for Military

Breitbart News reported last week that Rep. John Fleming (R-LA) passed an amendment in the House Armed Services Committee protecting religious speech of service members in the military. President Barack Obama has now threatened to veto the bill if it passes the full House and Senate.

The White House released a Statement of Administration Policy (SAP) on H.R. 1960, the National Defense Authorization Act of 2014. Among other items, the SAP includes as an objection to the bill:

Expansion and Implementation of Protection of Rights of Conscience of Members of the Armed Forces and Chaplains of Such Members: The Administration strongly objects to section 530, which would require the Armed Forces to accommodate, except in cases of military necessity, “actions and speech” reflecting the “conscience, moral principles, or religious beliefs of the member.” By limiting the discretion of commanders to address potentially problematic speech and actions within their units, this provision would have a significant adverse effect on good order, discipline, morale, and mission accomplishment.

The SAP includes a veto threat: “…if the bill is presented to the President for approval in its current form, the President’s senior advisers would recommend that the President veto the bill.”

In other words, Obama says he will veto any bill that forbids his appointees or officers from telling a soldier that he cannot mention Jesus during prayer or have a Bible on his desk, or that keeps those appointees from telling a chaplain (who is an ordained clergyman) what religious teachings he is allowed to give in worship services, or what spiritual counseling he can give to another soldier.

Ambassador Ken Blackwell, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Human Rights Commission, tells Breitbart News:

President Obama is waging a war on religion. He and Chuck Hagel are denying the most basic rights to those who put their lives on the line to protect all of our rights. It is shameful and appalling. I am confident that congressional leadership will show courage to stand up for our troops against this radical assault on religious liberty in the military.

This is the most compelling expression yet of the aggressive approach of the Obama-Hagel Defense Department to soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines who are observant Christians or devout members of other peaceful faiths, as seen in Breitbart News’ previous reports regarding the unconstitutional infringements of one of America’s most treasured, fundamental rights.

All eyes are on House and Senate leadership to see if they stand firm on the bill for those in the military who are facing this new form of pressure.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...n-for-Military
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Muslims excluded ?
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Die.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

One month ago the Pentagon assured the public it was not being advised by anti-Christian extremist Mikey Weinstein.

Yet two days ago Weinstein called the Pentagon demanding that a Christian painting be removed from a dining hall in an Idaho Air Force base, and the Pentagon complied with his demand--in less than one hour.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...th-His-Demands
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Before everyone flies off the handle (which might've happened already), let's keep some important things in mind:

1. Breitbart is conservative. Consider the source.

2. This is a cat-and-mouse game that's commonly played between Congress and the White House. The real story is, both sides are positioning themselves to get what they want out of the appropriations.

3. I LOVE how Breitbart says, "Among other items, the SAP includes as an objection to the bill: ..." AMONG OTHER ITEMS? Jesus. Again, before you fly off the handle, you might want to download the SAP and read it. It's all of eight pages.

And after you read all eight pages, if your take-away is this is about a war on religion, I'm sorry, but you either can't read, or you're an idiot. Likely both.

The "war on religion" is one of nearly 35 objections to the bill. The top priority is the White House wanting to lift restrictions on transferring Guantanamo detainees to the United States. Most other objections are about spending hundreds of millions on weapons systems that are to be phased out in the next couple of years.

Now, about this "war on religion" crap ... this objection is about halfway through the list, and if you read it in its entirety (and not just the highlights from Breitbart), you'll see that the White House is objecting to the bill taking away discretion from commanders when this stuff rears its head within their units.

In other words, right now commanders have authority to stomp out religious talk or actions from a soldier if it disrupts the unit. The bill takes that authority away from commanders and says "actions and speech" are protected.

Honestly, what do you think is better for a fighting unit?

A related and important question - this is an appropriations bill. What dickweed representative pushed through a bullshit amendment like this, anyway? This is a bill about spending money on weapons and systems, not about free speech in the military.

I HAVE NOT DONE THE RESEARCH BUT I AM GUESSING ... the representative who pushed through this amendment in the bill receives campaign financing from some defense contractor whose system was going away. I'll bet you my hat.

And you saps think this is about religion. Geez.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:48 AM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

stop being all smart and reasonable Todd. The non is no place for intelligent examination of issues. We are here to merely read biased garbage pulled from right wing sites and then curse your current president and accuse him of being Satan's helper here on earth. Get with the program man.

Obama is the devil - say that one thousand times then, and only then, can you return to the forum. We are sheep here and you need to learn to baaa on cue.

here's some help if you need it.

Good Enough
    Last Online

So Congressman John Fleming (who introduced this amendment) is from Louisiana. Here's what his own website says about his district (my emphasis): "The district has abundant assets, including the agriculture, defense, and energy industries."

According to opensecrets.org, he received around $50,000 in contributions from defense contractors and defense PACs. With the president saying he wants to continue phasing out old weapon systems, I wonder why Representative Fleming would introduce a religious speech amendment? Couldn't be playing politics, would he? (As in, "I'll remove my amendment, if you postpone the phase out of this tank.")

Yeah! Politics!

Meanwhile, we're fighting with each other because the president hates Jesus, or whatever.

This is why we constantly lose.

So, so tired of it. Anyone else?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Here's the bill as it stands right now. All 780 pages of it.

Enjoy!

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c113UrZae0::

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:13 PM
    Liked 11,730 Times in 6,499 Posts

Premium Member

Riiiight. There has been no issue at all with this in the military. No, no, no, you see this was all imagined. There have been no high-profile incidents involving attacks on religious liberty within the military. Not at all, everything is fine.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Hot For Teacher Amish Van Halen's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

at this time - OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

08.04.15 @ 12:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ToddE View Post

3. I LOVE how Breitbart says, "Among other items, the SAP includes as an objection to the bill: ..." AMONG OTHER ITEMS? Jesus. Again, before you fly off the handle, you might want to download the SAP and read it. It's all of eight pages.
    So you are accusing Breitbart of essentially cherry picking something from the SAP and then possibly blowing it out of proportion? Impossible. Breitbart would never, ever, ever do that...like ever...seriously never ever do that.
    Best concert ever...88 Monsters of Rock at the LA Coliseum with VH, Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken and Kingdom Come.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Riiiight. There has been no issue at all with this in the military. No, no, no, you see this was all imagined. There have been no high-profile incidents involving attacks on religious liberty within the military. Not at all, everything is fine.
    Your eye-rolling cartoon is persuasive, yes; but seeing as how you disagree with my assessment, please answer one question: if "religious liberty within the military" is this immense issue - an issue that deserves the nation's attention - why was a weak-ass amendment shoe-horned into the middle of a near-800 page bill?

Good Enough
    Last Online

By the by, this amendment (if it ever passed - and it never will) expands the definition of protected speech. Currently, commanders can step in when they believe speech "threatens" the unit. The amendment changes that and says all speech is protected unless it "actually harms" the unit.

Can't see anything bad happening from that change ... (EYE ROLL)

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Amish Van Halen View Post
    So you are accusing Breitbart of essentially cherry picking something from the SAP and then possibly blowing it out of proportion? Impossible. Breitbart would never, ever, ever do that...like ever...seriously never ever do that.
    The Sarcasm is strong in this one.

Good Enough
    Last Online

The actual amendment in question, should anyone want to deal in facts:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...LnKWpO4teXGbIg