Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Clearcoat on Bumblebee I Just Painted?

Yo yo fellas. So I just painted a black/yellow VH2 bumblebee. Looks great, came out fine, I did some touch-ups and it's all done. But I want to clearcoat this one, and I've never done that.

So I have questions.

I couldn't find Krylon when I painted this one so I used Rustoleum, and actually I liked it better. Anyway is it OK to use their standard glossy clearcoat? I was thinking I'd do 15-20 coats and then maybe use rubbing compound to buff it when it cures? Is that OK?

Also you know I have my neck cavity taped up. If I put like 20 coats of clear on this thing, am I going to be able to peel that tape off when it gets clearcoated where the body meets the tape? Am I going to crack the finish when I try to get the tape off? Is this normally an issue, I don't know really know.

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I've never just never done this part before and don't want to screw it up. I don't want to start over it at this point, and I do want this one cleared like the real one was.

Thanks for any tips!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Brett,
    If you don't have access to a spraygun setup, I'd highly recommend using Spray Max 2K clearcoat. It's a little pricey but well worth it, IMO.

http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-2k...FVBp7Aod7w0AJQ

You'll want to wet sand before using any sort of compound.
    Use various grits in succession. Your starting grit will really all depend on what your finish looks like once you're done clearing (dust, runs, etc ..)
    and definitely use a sanding block.

As for the tape ...
    Just score it prior to removing it and you should be fine.

Good luck.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Thanks Dino! How many coats of clear is usually enough? Is one can of that stuff enough?
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Thanks Dino! How many coats of clear is usually enough? Is one can of that stuff enough?
    Unfortunately, that's a relative question.
    You'll want to acheive a nice even surface so a lot would depend on how thick the layers are where the tape was removed for the stripes as to how much clear would be needed. Under normal circumstances, I'm thinking two cans should be plenty.

*edit*
    Be sure and read the directions and plan accordingly.
    Once the can is activated, you'll need to use the contents or it will cure in the can. In other words, you can't spray a coat and come back the following day and use the same can to shoot another coat.
    Last edited by Dino5150; 06.12.13 at 10:23 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I was just reading on Amazon about this stuff. Some guy had all these issues clearing his guitar with it and of course after the myriad of idiots telling him what a loser he was (how nice), they said he waited too long to put it over the basecoat, he should have done it when it was tacky. Well hell by the time I clear this thing, the paint will have been on there a week, I finished it Sunday and probably won't be able to paint it until this stuff comes. So now I'm confused. Then someone mentioned used tar and wax remover? On a guitar? Uh...really?

Yeah I saw about the 48 hours thing. Can I shoot the whole can in two days without a problem? How long should I wait between coats?

There aren't a lot of ridges on my stripes, I tend to do very light coats to avoid runs, etc.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:04 PM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

Can't wait to see it Brett. I agree with Dino on the clearcoat. As far as how many coats, just play it as you go. Once you have that nice smooth, glossy finish you prefer (10 to 15 coats maybe more) hit it another time and you should be good.
    Keep us posted bro. Can't wait to see it.
    Rob

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just reading on Amazon about this stuff. Some guy had all these issues clearing his guitar with it and of course after the myriad of idiots telling him what a loser he was (how nice), they said he waited too long to put it over the basecoat, he should have done it when it was tacky. Well hell by the time I clear this thing, the paint will have been on there a week ...
    Not an issue clearing base coats.
    As a matter of fact, you want the basecoat(s) cured before clearing, especially since you're base coats are done in Rustoleum. Allowing it to fully cure will help cut down on compatability issues. Normally, I would recommend staying with the same type of paint but the 2k stuff is the best stuff out there as far as durability and I have had ZERO issues with chemical reactions or anything regarding it not being "compatable".

Having said that, I believe the issues with the guy on Amazon is that he waited too long between coats with the clearcoat. I typically wait around 15 minutes between each coat of clear and yes ... it's still tacky.

Hope this helps.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Dino that's what I thought, curing the Rustoleum for a week would be a GOOD thing!

Thanks for all your help! I've two cans coming, should be here Monday. And I'll get going on it. Will let you guys know how it goes.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Hey Brett, let's see your progress as you go

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Brett, any updates?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I know it's been forever, but here's an update what's going on with this.

Bought the clearcoat Dino suggested, it was pricey BTW. Was about to clearcoat it and looked closely at my paint job and really wasn't that happy with it, I could have done it better. The lines just weren't crisp enough. It really started to bug me and I didn't want to clearcoat something that wasn't going to be good enough for me. And this wouldn't have. I would have never been happy, my eyes would have constantly seen the imperfections.

So I got frustrated, walked away from it for a few weeks to clear my head of it. I came back and decided to repaint it. So I stripped it down to the yellow, put a new base coat of yellow on it, finally got it all smooth from the stripes that were there...and yesterday FINALLY re-striped it and painted it black, and held my breath that it came out better than before. I usually take a lot of time doing this so it's right, but I was doubly careful this time because no matter what I wasn't going through this again. However it turned out I was going to live with it.

Well luckily it came out a BILLION times better and NOW I'm really happy with it. So went downstairs in my garage to look at it tonight as I'm letting it cure, and man it looks so good I'm so conflicted with the clearcoat thing. Part of me wants to just leave it as is, the gloss from the black Rustoleum looks nice as is, and I just don't want to chance screwing it up, because I have it perfect. I mean shit it took me over a month to get through the anger and redo it, I do not want to do this damn paint job a third time.

Obvously the real Bee was clearcoated, as are every other one I've ever seen, but man I think I'm just going to leave it. Yeah the finish can rub off I guess, but the Rasta VH one I did that I use as my MAIN axe the paint is still fine. It has a few scratches from buckle rash but that doesn't bother me...and I play the shit out of that guitar. This VH2 will never be more than a play around the house guitar for the most part, it won't get the kind of abuse the Rasta has...and the Rasta is 5 different colors too and the paint is still in very good shape.

So what are your thoughts. Am I totally lame for not clearing it? Should I just man up and try it, or just leave it?
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

10.10.17 @ 06:08 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

Hard to comment on without pics
    Thanks for paying my rent. -- EVH

Unchained
    Last Online

11.11.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Right pictures would work wonders on this topic. And I believe it has been asked before, and still nothing. How can you keep asking questions, and not give anyone anything to look at or comment on. Good luck with your project I guess.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 08:18 PM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

So what are your thoughts. Am I totally lame for not clearing it? Should I just man up and try it, or just leave it?
    Being that you're happy with the Rustoleum finish, I would stripe-up a scrap sample and leave it cure along side your guitar and try shooting it to see if you have any ill effects.

If you like the results, you can shoot the guitar body afterwards noting that the clear has a 48 hr. shelf-life -- it is 48 hrs...correct? If the sample turns gummy or lifts, nothing lost except for the cost of the 2K clear.

Good-luck!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

You guys with the pictures...haha. It's not a question that requires pics, it's a question of whether I should clear coat this thing or not. How it looks is completely immaterial to the question, you may think it sucks...which is not what I'm asking. However I will post them, and it's hard for you to really see the finish from them though, which is why I didn't bother posting them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130806_080225_122.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	2194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130806_080302_868.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	2195  
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!