Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default State Department memo says workers may have hired prostitutes

Washington (CNN) -- Senior State Department and Diplomatic Security officials may have covered up or stopped investigations of inappropriate or even criminal misconduct by staff, according to an internal memo from the department's Office of the Inspector General.

The timeline surrounding the allegations places the incidents during former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's tenure, opening the possibility that a widening scandal might taint both her record and her possible political aspirations. Clinton has also taken heat for the department's response to the September 2012 attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

Regarding the latest allegations, CNN was provided the documents by a lawyer for a whistle-blower who is a former senior inspector general investigator.

They include:

• An active U.S. ambassador "routinely ditched his protective security detail in order to solicit sexual favors from both prostitutes and minor children," the memo says. The ambassador's protective detail and others "were well aware of the behavior," the memo asserts. When a diplomatic security officer tried to investigate, undersecretary of state for management Patrick Kennedy allegedly ordered the investigator "not to open a formal investigation."

On Tuesday, CNN obtained a statement from the ambassador, who vigorously denied the allegations, calling them "baseless."

Kennedy also issued a statement Tuesday, saying it is his responsibility "to make sure the department and all of our employees -- no matter their rank -- are held to the highest standard, and I have never once interfered, nor would I condone interfering, in any investigation."

The memo itself, purportedly written by Ambassador Larry Dinger, describes some of the information as coming from office chatter.

"Sometimes the sources are one or more agents who became aware of the case from colleagues in what, given cubicles, can be a collegial environment," the memo says.

• A State Department security official in Beirut allegedly "engaged in sexual assaults" against foreign nationals working as embassy guards. The security official, the Office of the Inspector General says, was also accused of committing "similar assaults during assignments in Baghdad, and possibly Khartoum and Monrovia." The office's memo says that an inspector general's investigator who went to Beirut to try to conduct an investigation was not given enough time to complete the job.

• A member of Clinton's security detail allegedly "engaged prostitutes while on official trips in foreign countries." The inspector general's agent assigned to investigate "concluded" that the "prostitution problem was endemic."

• In Iraq, an "underground drug ring" may have been operating near the U.S. Embassy and "supplying" drugs to State Department security contractors, but an agent sent to investigate the allegations was prevented from completing the job.

State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki responded to the allegations Monday.

Controversies knock Obama off balance

"We hold all employees to the highest standards," she said. "We take allegations of misconduct seriously and we investigate thoroughly. All cases mentioned in the CBS report were thoroughly investigated and under investigation, and the department continues to take action."

During a Tuesday State briefing with reporters, Psaki reiterated that the memo contains "unsubstantiated allegations" and that some cases are ongoing and some are closed. But she would not, though repeatedly pressed by reporters, specify exactly which ones were open or closed.

"As a matter of policy, I'm not going to talk" about specific cases, she said.

"We take every allegation seriously," Psaki added. "We are seeing through the process."

The allegations were first reported by CBS on Monday.

On Tuesday, Nicholas Merrill, a spokesman for Hillary Clinton, said Clinton was completely unaware of any of the investigations mentioned in the Office of the Inspector General's reports and memos, including the case involving her personal security detail allegedly soliciting prostitutes.

"We learned of it from the media and don't know anything beyond what's been reported," Merrill told CNN in a written statement.

Clinton officially left her post in February.

Clinton's bio undergoes changes

What's behind Clinton's drop in poll numbers?

CNN obtained a draft, dated December 2012, of a report by the inspector general's office evaluating the performance of the department's Bureau of Diplomatic Security Special Investigations Division.

The report says that the bureau "lacks a firewall" that would preclude higher-ups from "exercising undue influence in particular cases."

The bureau doesn't have a manual with approved guidelines on how to investigate cases, the report also says. Investigators with the inspector general's office "discovered uncertainty" among state agents about how to conduct thorough investigations, and noted that not going through the proper mechanisms can "ruin" a potential criminal investigation.

The report also calls the department's Criminal Investigations Division "unwieldy" and says that "frequent agent turnover" makes it harder for the Bureau of Diplomatic Security to conduct investigations.

The inspector general's office published a February 2013 final report whose key findings are, largely, the same as stated in the December 2012 draft.

The division's current management structure, the report says, does not "foster independence from career pressures and creates significant potential for undue influence, favoritism, and potential retribution.

CNN's Elise Labott contributed to this report.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 18,089 Times in 8,937 Posts

As in most cases like this, it isn't the original offense that bothers me that much, it is the lying about it and the coverup that pisses me off.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

I donno. Shouldn't we be focusing on the real threats out there instead of wanting picture perfect ppl? There's enough real shit happening in the world to keep everyone busy.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 11,728 Times in 6,498 Posts

Premium Member

Guys, c'mon. Minor children?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I donno. Shouldn't we be focusing on the real threats out there instead of wanting picture perfect ppl? There's enough real shit happening in the world to keep everyone busy.
    Did you miss the bolded in red quote about the minor children?????!!!!
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Guys, c'mon. Minor children?
    Exactly.
    Just go for it!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton issued a statement through a spokesman Tuesday that claimed total ignorance of rampant sex crimes and cover-ups occurring on her watch that were alleged in an Inspector General’s memo reported by CBS News and the New York Post.

The IG memo, dated October 23, 2012, contains shocking allegations of overseas criminal conduct by State Department officials including sexual assault , ‘endemic’ procurement of prostitutes (including children), and drugs—all of which were alleged to have been covered-up by various officials at the highest levels of the State Department including Clinton’s chief of staff Cheryl Mills.

CNN reported Clinton spokesman Nicholas Merrill issued a written statement saying, "We learned of it from the media and don't know anything beyond what's been reported."

Clinton would have the American people believe that she was completely out of touch about the lawlessness at her department during her four year tenure as Secretary of State.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Seems to be the running excuse with this administration. Amazing how nobody knows what is going on under their own noses.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 4,792 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

God I am so sick and tired of people altering objectivity because of political party. Goes both ways too because the GOP and their sheep do it too.

This is wrong. I know Hillary and her Hill Bots will say "well she didn't know"

Ok so she didn't know about Benghazi and she didn't know this. What the fuck was she doing? I mean she was Secretary of State right? Isn't that whole department underneath her? I understand that she doesn't know every little thing going on day to day but something like this she should have known.Same with Obama and everything else that has happened. I remember being in the Navy hearing "you can delegate authority but you can't delegate responsibility."

The buck definitely doesn't stop with this Administration. It just keeps on going until somebody says "Oh it's Bush's fault."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:46 PM
    Liked 795 Times in 431 Posts

Premium Member

Finally, something POSITIVE coming out about the state department.

Brink on the hookers!! (minus the children, of course...)

TK

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,210 Times in 1,114 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    God I am so sick and tired of people altering objectivity because of political party. Goes both ways too because the GOP and their sheep do it too.

This is wrong. I know Hillary and her Hill Bots will say "well she didn't know"

Ok so she didn't know about Benghazi and she didn't know this. What the fuck was she doing? I mean she was Secretary of State right? Isn't that whole department underneath her? I understand that she doesn't know every little thing going on day to day but something like this she should have known.Same with Obama and everything else that has happened. I remember being in the Navy hearing "you can delegate authority but you can't delegate responsibility."

The buck definitely doesn't stop with this Administration. It just keeps on going until somebody says "Oh it's Bush's fault."
    Haha...that's an excellent observation. The buck stops with Bush...and has for the last 13 years
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.