Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 11,732 Times in 6,500 Posts

Premium Member

Default 'EXORCIST' SCRIBE PETITIONS CHURCH TO REMOVE GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY'S CATHOLIC STATUS

William Peter Blatty, the Academy-Award winner who wrote 1973's "The Exorcist," graduated from Georgetown University in 1950 and has financially supported his alma mater for years. In May of last year, though, Blatty announced he was preparing a canon lawsuit against the school. On Friday, Blatty kept his promise. http://www.cardinalnewmansociety.org...iled+against+G

The petition submitted to Cardinal Donald Weurl, is signed by 1200 individuals, including Georgetown  students and alumni. There are 198 pages from 124 witnesses that document over twenty years worth of incidents that Blatty claims prove Georgetown is only Catholic in name. With Blatty's petition is a 120 page document prepared by the Cardinal Newman Society summarizing Georgetown's violations of canon law.

This entire endeavor took over a year.

While most remember "The Exorcist" for its green vomit and crucifix masturbation, at heart, the blockbuster horror film (that has lost none of its power) remains one of the most pro-Christian/Catholic films ever made. It is a story where both God and the Devil are very real, and a priest who is losing his faith finds it in the evil possessing an innocent. After the power of Christ compels the demon to leave the child and possess the priest, reaffirmed in his faith, the priest sacrifices his own life to destroy the evil within him.

In an interview last year with Catholic Education Daily, http://www.cardinalnewmansociety.org...only-hope.aspx Blatty was asked if he saw a parallel between "The Exorcist" and what he has witnessed happen over the last two decades to his beloved Georgetown. With the kind of moral relativism fresh in his mind that would see a Catholic university invite Kathleen Sebelius (a supporter of something as evil as partial birth abortion) as a commencement speaker, Blatty answered:

Yes, yes, there is a parallel. But imagine it a different way. Think of all the souls that were not saved; all the minds that were not awakened over these past two or three decades as Georgetown drifted. Think of the great disservice that we have all done by being silent, ineffectual and comfortable …and doing nothing while the other side organized and took Georgetown away from the Church.

In the Friday press release announcing the suit, Blatty includes a letter that shows just how serious he is. He asks alumni to cease any donations to Georgetown for a full year and makes clear that his petition asks for only one of two results: That Georgetown comply with canon law or be stripped of its right to call itself a Catholic and Jesuit institution.

Naturally, the outcome Blatty and all of us truly desire is to see the Catholic university become Catholic again. But if it won't, it simply must stop calling itself Catholic.

What could be a greater tool of the devil than a church or school that assures souls they are saved when they are not?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:37 PM
    Liked 2,215 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

So, this really has nothing to do with the actual topic, but I just wanted to share a little story. "The Exorcist" was based on a real exorcism that happened here in St. Louis at Alexian Brothers Hospital here in south St. Louis. It was performed by a priest (Fr. Bowdern) who later taught at St. Louis University, which my late father attended. My dad struck up a small friendship with Fr. Bowden, and while he would never publically comment on the case, he--briefly--talked about it privately. He said he never really wanted to talk about it, but what he saw wasn't of this world.

It creeped my dad out, and now it creeps me out. I'm Catholic, but I can't say I think of "Satan" as an active part of real life, but the stories I hear about this case give me pause.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    So, this really has nothing to do with the actual topic, but I just wanted to share a little story. "The Exorcist" was based on a real exorcism that happened here in St. Louis at Alexian Brothers Hospital here in south St. Louis. It was performed by a priest (Fr. Bowdern) who later taught at St. Louis University, which my late father attended. My dad struck up a small friendship with Fr. Bowden, and while he would never publically comment on the case, he--briefly--talked about it privately. He said he never really wanted to talk about it, but what he saw wasn't of this world.

It creeped my dad out, and now it creeps me out. I'm Catholic, but I can't say I think of "Satan" as an active part of real life, but the stories I hear about this case give me pause.
    Dude, I am a HUGE fan of this movie and the actual case. I've seen and read a ton of stuff on what happened and it is CREEPY. Check out the documentary on the making of the film for some more creepy stuff that took place. I also recommend you read "Hostage To The Devil" by Malachi Martin. http://www.amazon.com/Hostage-Devil-...e+to+the+devil
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I'm Catholic, but I can't say I think of "Satan" as an active part of real life, but the stories I hear about this case give me pause.

Then God isn't either and as a Catholic you know that is bullshit. If Satan isn't an active part of real life then I don't know where all this evil shit in the world from day one, is coming from. There's a little more to it than free will.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    If Satan isn't an active part of real life then I don't know where all this evil shit in the world from day one, is coming from.

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:21 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Best Satan ever.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    LOL! Is that that Q muthafucka?

Oh shit LL!! You made me laugh!

I'm drunk as shit but that is cool!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    LOL! Is that that Q muthafucka?

Oh shit LL!! You made me laugh!

I'm drunk as shit but that is cool!
    Yeah, but he just goes by 'Q'. Roddenberry couldn't get the surname 'muthafucka' past Standards and Practices over at Paramount. Still a great character though.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Exorcist’ Author Gets Big Response From Vatican in Ongoing Battle Against Georgetown University

May. 14, 2014

It’s no secret that William Peter Blatty, author of ”The Exorcist” book and screenplay, is a vocal critic of his alma mater Georgetown University, charging that the Catholic college should be penalized for regularly violating church teaching.

Two years after he first voiced concerns about the campus’ purported sway away from the faith, the Vatican has written a brief response agreeing that his complaints are “well-founded” and that his concerns are being seriously considered by Catholic leaders.

In September 2013, Blatty submitted a petition with 2,000 signatures that called for Georgetown to lose its Catholic and Jesuit labels, calling both students and faculty out for not being wedded enough to the Catholic faith, the Washington Post reported. The petition was 200 pages and contained more than 480 footnotes, 99 appendices and 124 witness statements.

In a response letter dated April 4, Archbishop Angelo Zani, secretary of the Vatican’s Congregation for Catholic Education, a group that oversees faith-based institutions, said that the church would not handle the manner in the way Blatty requested, as the author was not personally impacted by the university’s actions or inactions —a requirement for the “hierarchical recourse” he requested.

That said, Zani called the complaint “well-founded.”

“Your communications to this dicastery in the matter of Georgetown University … constitute a well-founded complaint,” Zani wrote. “Our congregation is taking the issue seriously and is cooperating with the Society of Jesus in this regard.”

It is unclear what the Vatican will do, if anything, to address Blatty’s complaints, but, as the National Catholic Register has noted, the author has asked the Vatican to “require that Georgetown implement Ex Corde Ecclesiae, a papal constitution governing Catholic colleges.”

Blatty is hopeful that the response means the Vatican will consider working to help make the university’s Catholic identity more fervent.

“I am deeply gratified that the prayers of my 2,000 fellow petitioners have been answered,” Blatty said in an interview with the National Catholic Register. “There is still more work to be done, and I promise them that we will persevere.”

The author’s battle with Georgetown began in 2012 when Blatty, who graduated from the school in 1950, encouraged students, professors and others to join him in opposing the school’s behaviors that he felt ran counter to Catholic teaching.

In an interview with the Washington Post last year, Blatty openly spoke about what led to his decision to take on his alma mater.

“If you truly love someone that you think needs to be in rehab, you’ll do everything you possibly can to get them into rehab,” he said, noting that the last straw was when Georgetown invited now-outgoing Health and Human Services secretary Kathleen Sebelius, who supports abortion rights.

(

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,384 Times in 759 Posts

I don't know about the concept of a "catholic" university. Then why not a "muslim" or "hindu" one. Shouldn't these just be places of learning? I don't know why it needs a "catholic" label or to take sides in the abortion debate. I don't think the world needs more labels. It needs less.
    Little Dreamer

On Fire Rare Painful Side Effect's Avatar
    Last Online

07.08.17 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was raised Catholic but aren't anymore -- I don't have anything against it other than a vague resentment at all the interminable church services I sat through as a child (which is more on my parents than the church). I was around it long enough to know that conservatives accuse many liberals of being Cafeteria Catholics, since they pick and choose which parts they follow. However, I used to hear conservative Catholics crab about Vatican II reforms all the time, and as far as I can tell they overwhelmingly support capital punishment which the Church (at least nominally) opposes. I'm not really sure which issues disagreeing with the Vatican on makes for a bad Catholic.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:36 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

How about a white guy on the basketball team once in awhile. Just askin'.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:37 PM
    Liked 2,215 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I don't know about the concept of a "catholic" university. Then why not a "muslim" or "hindu" one. Shouldn't these just be places of learning? I don't know why it needs a "catholic" label or to take sides in the abortion debate. I don't think the world needs more labels. It needs less.
    There are plenty of universities that aren't associated with a religion, so those that don't want to go there are free to avoid it. I went to a small Catholic college in the midwest, and appreciated the environment for what it was. There were plenty of people that weren't Catholic, and if they desired, they could avoid everything Catholic about the place...well, except for the Franciscan crosses in the classrooms.

Overall my college experience wasn't different from any of my other friends who went to public universities, it just made it more likely that my college friends were also Catholic.

As for living up to the Catholic label, if you are going to call yourself a Catholic university, it's probably advisable to live by the teachings of the Church.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.