Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.29.13 @ 02:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default New EVH Striped Series guitar - issues?

Hey Guys,

I received one of the new EVH stripes series guitars last week, a red / white / black one, # 62. While the guitar looks great, i was a little dissapointed in how it felt / played etc especially compared to my EVH wolfgang special.

Anyway, I'm not sure if there is an issue with the guitar or not and since EVH will not return my emails for whatever reason, maybe someone in here can shed some light.

When the guitar arrived, the action and the neck were setup pretty good. The action is low and the neck is almost dead straight. However, the angle of the bridge is not parrallel with the body and actually slopes down towards the fine tuners of the guitar.

If I lower the 2 pivot screws on the bridge, it lowers down the front so that the bridge does become parrallel with the body but then at that point, the strings are already on top of the frets where you cannot play it. The action right now is at 3/64 and any lower and it starts to fret out. If I loosen the screws in the back cavity, the rear of the bridge begins to lift off the guitar where the base is no longer touching the body. At this point, I don't know what to do.

I guess it's not the end of the world that the bridge isn't parralell but I won 12guitars including a few EVH wolfgangs and all of those bridges are parrallel. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I think I get what you're saying...at least it sounds straightforward. From what I get from your description is that the bridge was set up more to whatever amount of shimming (if any) has been applied to the neck pocket. First....Check the relief in the neck for flatness, or backbow. It's extremely common on import guitars for necks to go wonky after they are subjected to substantially different climate, resulting in anything from a huge bow, or a back-bow, or in severe cases, a warp or twist. I'm assuming you have probably done this already sighting down the neck.
    If that all checks out good, or you've made the appropriate incremental adjustments, then the next step will be to remove the neck, and see how much shimming is there in the front of the pocket. Usually it's either thin wood veneers single or stacked, or more commonly sandpaper folded and put in. (Some manufacturers put a thin piece of delrin or other plastic, but most use what is available and cheap)
    If the shimming is high enough to remove some, then you should be able to either remove some of the material, or make your own, but with less thickness to remove some of the tilt. The you should be able to get the bridge down and level where you want it.
    You'll probably have to adjust a couple time one the necks under full tension to get the action bang on where you want it.
    Does this help any?
    JJ

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.29.13 @ 02:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info! Will try a shim and see what I can do from there.

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    I think I get what you're saying...at least it sounds straightforward. From what I get from your description is that the bridge was set up more to whatever amount of shimming (if any) has been applied to the neck pocket. First....Check the relief in the neck for flatness, or backbow. It's extremely common on import guitars for necks to go wonky after they are subjected to substantially different climate, resulting in anything from a huge bow, or a back-bow, or in severe cases, a warp or twist. I'm assuming you have probably done this already sighting down the neck.
    If that all checks out good, or you've made the appropriate incremental adjustments, then the next step will be to remove the neck, and see how much shimming is there in the front of the pocket. Usually it's either thin wood veneers single or stacked, or more commonly sandpaper folded and put in. (Some manufacturers put a thin piece of delrin or other plastic, but most use what is available and cheap)
    If the shimming is high enough to remove some, then you should be able to either remove some of the material, or make your own, but with less thickness to remove some of the tilt. The you should be able to get the bridge down and level where you want it.
    You'll probably have to adjust a couple time one the necks under full tension to get the action bang on where you want it.
    Does this help any?
    JJ

Unchained
    Last Online

11.11.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

While they look okay, to me it is kind of Mexican junk. 900.00 bucks could of went to a nice good build. Just giving my 2 cents and not trying to offend anyone. That is why I would never buy a Mexican Stratocaster.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

I get ya, but y'know, in all honestly I've seen a lot of simply unacceptable stuff on VERY pricey USA made stuff too.Gibson, Fender etc. though US PRS's seem pretty consistent. I'm no knocking your observation, but it really comes down to individual instruments, and why if I can possibly help it, I never buy a guitar without holding, inspecting it, and playing it first. I know that's not always possible though...I get that, but it's a burn when it happens.

I know a lot of folks have bought off EBAY too or whatever....Some get lucky, but there's a lot of horror stories there too.
    The only guitar I ever bought off an online dealer cured me of ever doing it again. I got a Charvel SoCal that was so poor, I boxed it up for return that same night. If it was one or two things, it wouldn't be a big deal, but with a list of things like blemished paint, a couple raised (as well as poor fret end dressing) frets, the bridge was so high it looked stupid...etc....The other stuff was repairable...do it all the time, but the selling point for me was that the color and finish looked real cool, but there were a couple areas that were lifting and bubbles ready to flake off. Not good.
    On the flip side of things...Going to a store, I've played some Mexican, Korean, and yes, even Chinese made guitars that were very well set up, played and sounded great.
    The problem with the OP's guitar sounds more like a snowball issue where one thing, most likely the shimming or pocket finishing was incorrect, and it just got worse from there.
    I hate to see that though, where a bridge is adjusted in such a way to just raise it to the point of not buzzing anymore ,instead of going back and correcting the neck angle. It takes a few minutes here and there in the case of a proper shim, but then you have quotas that come into play, so it was probably a case of "set it up so it plays, and send it down to shipping"

Hope it's a simple fix for him though.
    Last edited by we die young; 05.29.13 at 03:49 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:54 PM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MeanStreet 5150 View Post
    While they look okay, to me it is kind of Mexican junk. 900.00 bucks could of went to a nice good build. Just giving my 2 cents and not trying to offend anyone. That is why I would never buy a Mexican Stratocaster.
    Most, if not all the reviews of the Striped series so far have been great. This seams like a simple set up problem. Easy fix.

BTW, I bought a MIM Strat in Feb for a SRV project in doing and it plays great. Sounds like shit, but plays really nice. Some new pups and it will be fantastic.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

MIM stuff is great!
    It's the over played stuff at GC that u gotta look out for.
    Guitar Center guitars get trashed!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

I have not played one if the new striped EVH's yet but I agree. It sounds like a "shim the neck" possible truss rod adjustment minor deal to me as well based on the reviews I have seen including Jimi's. Is it satisfactory for a 900 dollar guitar to come like that?..... Well maybe not but I am sure that it is just a setup problem. I know when I bought my EVH stealth special I brought it to my guitar tech / fix it buddy and he had to shim the neck and adjust the Floyd as well and now she handles like a dream.
    Remember the old days when you bought a EVH EBMM or even back in the end of the 90s a PV wolf standard and the freakin things were setup to PERFECTION right out of the case per EVH? Oh yeah and the stuff was affordable to. Ha ha. Damn I miss those days.
    Rob

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    I have not played one if the new striped EVH's yet but I agree. It sounds like a "shim the neck" possible truss rod adjustment minor deal to me as well based on the reviews I have seen including Jimi's. Is it satisfactory for a 900 dollar guitar to come like that?..... Well maybe not but I am sure that it is just a setup problem. I know when I bought my EVH stealth special I brought it to my guitar tech / fix it buddy and he had to shim the neck and adjust the Floyd as well and now she handles like a dream.
    Remember the old days when you bought a EVH EBMM or even back in the end of the 90s a PV wolf standard and the freakin things were setup to PERFECTION right out of the case per EVH? Oh yeah and the stuff was affordable to. Ha ha. Damn I miss those days.
    Rob
    Yep! I remember those days well! yeah...I mean, I would be more inclined to agree with one of the posts against the MIM's if were 20 to 25 years ago when buying some "offshore/foreign" made instruments was a gamble at best.
    Nowadays, with cad, and some big guitar companies putting together good factories with fair practices for their workers, it's not uncommon to find very well made guitars.
    Case in point, I have an Indonesian made bass that frankly outperforms my other American made Jazz Standard.
    I know that's hard to swallow for some but given a choice, I reach for that bass almost every time I play...it's simply that good. Great finish too, and hundreds less!
    It actually kind of screws with my head that I had bought the USA Jazz first because of my natural bias. I still prefer to buy North American on principle, but like I said, it really comes down to the individual instrument.
    Who knows? Mine is great, but maybe the next one was horrible, but then again...Last weekend, i was at a music store, played a bunch of Strats, and each one had a different feel, tone. Some felt dead, others felt lively, and played like butter.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard29 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I received one of the new EVH stripes series guitars last week, a red / white / black one, # 62. While the guitar looks great, i was a little dissapointed in how it felt / played etc especially compared to my EVH wolfgang special.
    Well,though they used all the hardware and the trem cavity route from the Wolfgang, they are, in the final analysis, two different guitars... what did you expect? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard29 View Post
    Anyway, I'm not sure if there is an issue with the guitar or not and since EVH will not return my emails for whatever reason, maybe someone in here can shed some light.

When the guitar arrived, the action and the neck were setup pretty good. The action is low and the neck is almost dead straight. However, the angle of the bridge is not parrallel with the body and actually slopes down towards the fine tuners of the guitar.

If I lower the 2 pivot screws on the bridge, it lowers down the front so that the bridge does become parrallel with the body but then at that point, the strings are already on top of the frets where you cannot play it. The action right now is at 3/64 and any lower and it starts to fret out. If I loosen the screws in the back cavity, the rear of the bridge begins to lift off the guitar where the base is no longer touching the body. At this point, I don't know what to do.

I guess it's not the end of the world that the bridge isn't parralell but I won 12guitars including a few EVH wolfgangs and all of those bridges are parrallel. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    Forget about adding a shim, it will only force you to raise the bridge further! here's what you do:
    1-Lower the bridge until it's parrallel with body
    2-tighten the springs
    3-loosen the truss rod for relief
    WGAF?!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    Well,though they used all the hardware and the trem cavity route from the Wolfgang, they are, in the final analysis, two different guitars... what did you expect? LOL!

Forget about adding a shim, it will only force you to raise the bridge further! here's what you do:
    1-Lower the bridge until it's parrallel with body
    2-tighten the springs
    3-loosen the truss rod for relief
    Good catch Jimi! Yeah...I just saw that I think he misunderstood what I posted! You don't ADD a shim if your bridge is high. That's why I mentioned to him, if your neck relief checks out, then you must either remove the shim or at least reduce it's thickness to get the bridge down where you want it. Not raise the shim increasing the neck angle. I have no idea what they would have for a shim (if it is the issue)...Like I said, a shim is usually whatever is cheap and readily available at a factory...Sandpaper is widely used, and it does have the side benefit of gripping both the neck and pocket reducing the neck shifting in it's pocket with the reduced surface to surface contact.
    I once worked on an Ibanez, and was very surprised at their shim, at least on that guitar. It was similar to one of those cheese spreading sticks you find in cheese and cracker packs. It was almost 2mm.'s thick, and tacked about 3 or 4 mm.'s back from the front of the pocket with some contact adhesive. It doesn't sound like much but it increased the neck angle quite a bit, so the bridge was real high from the body. Fine if you want a floating bridge that can raise the pitch to insane levels for whammy effects, but most of us EVH freaks like 'em low!
    I'm pretty sure if the neck checks out, it's just a little too much shim, and the bridge was adjusted to it to make it play without buzzing.
    It's a real minimal method of set up.
    I would guess that the neck will still need some adjustment first before attempting pulling the neck.
    Last edited by we die young; 05.30.13 at 08:41 AM.

Eruption
    Last Online

Here's mine after I adjusted it...

I'll be posting a video of it in action shortly.
    WGAF?!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Looks good! I'd love to get a black and yellow. Always one of my favorites! How do you like the necks Jimi? I tried a Charvel San Dimas at L&M a couple weeks back...Similar profile and finish or are they closer to the Wolfgang? Just wondering as they don't have the striped EVH one in stock yet
    Last edited by we die young; 05.30.13 at 11:02 AM.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    Here's mine after I adjusted it...

I'll be posting a video of it in action shortly.
    Very cool shot, how about another one if you get a chance to show the OP how things look around the heel of the heck. That pickup height looks nice, can't imagine what that would have looked like before you lowered it.

Eruption
    Last Online

Here's a quick video...
    Last edited by jimi11580; 05.30.13 at 01:44 PM.
    WGAF?!!