Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Default Ice Cream Man Solo

I was surfing on YouTube and watched DLR 86 live version of Ice Cream Man. I noticed Steve Vai tapped the difficult solo passage versus picking it (with wide fret spread) as Eddie does. Steve Vai is a technical player so it surprises me he didn't tackle the solo head on. I went back and watched VH's version from the US festival and wow! I don't blame Steve for not wanting to take on that big stretch passage as Ed does. That stretch Ed does looks painful!

DLR 86

VH 83

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOM_5150 View Post
    I was surfing on YouTube and watched DLR 86 live version of Ice Cream Man. I noticed Steve Vai tapped the difficult solo passage versus picking it (with wide fret spread) as Eddie does. Steve Vai is a technical player so it surprises me he didn't tackle the solo head on. I went back and watched VH's version from the US festival and wow! I don't blame Steve for not wanting to take on that big stretch passage as Ed does. That stretch Ed does looks painful!

DLR 86

VH 83
    Wtf? Billy Sheehan is really bringing the backup vocals here.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

I can't help but smile watching Dave at the beginning of Ice Cream Man at the US Fest. If only he kept that attitude. It seems he just tries too hard now a days.
    Right here I say....

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 PM
    Liked 714 Times in 392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOM_5150 View Post

DLR 86

VH 83
    I would think it had more to do with Vai wanting to do his own thing and not emulate Eddie 100%. In fact, thinking of Vai back then, he probably figured it would be beneath him.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

What a fun tour that was....

Aint Talking Bout Love....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:59 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

As great as a technically gifted player Vai is, he couldn't do Eddie stuff justice. He just didn't have the feel that was needed.

That stretch in Ice Cream Man is a bitch, especially if you have shortish fingers.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

I never could do the stretch properly so I would tap it out. Damn my Slavic fingers.

I honestly think that Vai had no problem playing the lick. He just was adding a different spin to it. Not my favorite player but the dude is a freak.

That said he got his ass kicked by Ralph Macchio.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I never could do the stretch properly so I would tap it out. Damn my Slavic fingers.

I honestly think that Vai had no problem playing the lick. He just was adding a different spin to it. Not my favorite player but the dude is a freak.

Ha!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

That US Festival version of Ice Cream Man is probably my favorite video of VH ever...right up there with the Unchained video. It has everything: Dave is fucking hilarious and awesome, Mike is ripping the bass line and belting out the high harmony, Ed is running around being a guitar god, Alex is an animal...it's all perfect with its imperfections.

Switching topics a bit, but I learned this solo via this video:

On the first run, he insists that his pinky hits the note on the string below it rather than using the middle finger on the same string, so that's the way I learned it. Clearly Ed is using the middle finger on the same string. Well...I already learned it the wrong way thanks to this video...too late to change now
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

Am a big Steve Via fan, but I hate to watch him live during this era. He comes across with some kind of arrogance on stage. He is a monster on the guitar and I liked the songs he did with Dave, but he looks like he tries way too hard to look like he deserves to be there.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    Am a big Steve Via fan, but I hate to watch him live during this era. He comes across with some kind of arrogance on stage. He is a monster on the guitar and I liked the songs he did with Dave, but he looks like he tries way too hard to look like he deserves to be there.
    I think he was taking cues from Dave - that tour was larger than life - playing the sideman probably wouldn't work in that era or setting. I forgot how much energy and voice Dave had in 86. Maybe his most powerful year of performance.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 2,802 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    I would think it had more to do with Vai wanting to do his own thing and not emulate Eddie 100%. In fact, thinking of Vai back then, he probably figured it would be beneath him.
    I don't think Vai ever thought Eddie was beneath him. He's openly admitted he would not play the way he does if not for Eddie. (Which is a big "duh" if you listen to Vai play )

Here is what he says about Eddie: "Edward Van Halen is a guitar god of the highest order. I have immense respect and love for Edward, you know? I would probably be playing the guitar very differently if he never came along. Hes a totally inspired person."

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post

Same here...I've gotta tap it. Vai...well...he's got insanely big hands so I'm surprised he taps it. (But happy too...."Ha! Vai plays it like me!") Maybe it's like you say...or maybe he actually thought Eddie played it that way back then? I would think Vai would know better but ya never know.

Did you know that Vai actually played the guitar parts that "beat him" in that movie?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 PM
    Liked 714 Times in 392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    I don't think Vai ever thought Eddie was beneath him. He's openly admitted he would not play the way he does if not for Eddie. (Which is a big "duh" if you listen to Vai play )

Here is what he says about Eddie: "Edward Van Halen is a guitar god of the highest order. I have immense respect and love for Edward, you know? I would probably be playing the guitar very differently if he never came along. He’s a totally inspired person."
    Of course he'll say those things, especially now. But back then? Does anyone else remember Vai's mocking performance of "Eruption" back in the DLR days? Behind the back, behind the head, yawning, wanking gestures, etc? Vai talks nothing but respect, but back in the day he made it very clear that he believed he was the better guitarist.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post

Here is what he says about Eddie: "Edward Van Halen is a guitar god of the highest order. I have immense respect and love for Edward, you know? I would probably be playing the guitar very differently if he never came along. Hes a totally inspired person."

Same here...I've gotta tap it. Vai...well...he's got insanely big hands so I'm surprised he taps it. (But happy too...."Ha! Vai plays it like me!") Maybe it's like you say...or maybe he actually thought Eddie played it that way back then? I would think Vai would know better but ya never know.

Did you know that Vai actually played the guitar parts that "beat him" in that movie?
    Yeah I know he played those parts but it doesn't matter. Should have learned his lesson when Ralph took down William Zabka in the Karate Kid. He doesn't lose.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

I actually loved the 1986 EEAS Tour, still one of my favorites. DLR was out to prove something, and I think that might have been his best live tour from all the different bootlegs I've heard. Too long ago to remember how he sounded back then in the show I went to, and honestly, at that age you aren't a critic like you become later in life. I just remember having a blast.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!