All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 1,956 Times in 443 Posts

Donor

Default Happy 25th Anniversary, OU812!

On this day in 1988, Van Halen's 8th album, OU812 was released.

Damn, I LOVE this album! It came out during my last week of senior year of high school. My best friend and I left school early to buy our copies. I'll never forget how thrilling it was to hear all those new VH songs for the first time. That was one of those "Summers of Van Halen" when we played OU812 CONSTANTLY (along with the 7 earlier albums).

I loved EVERY song, but my favorite from it were always the ones you usually didn't hear much about...

A.F.U.(Naturally Wired)
    Cabo Wabo
    Source of Infection
    Black and Blue
    Sucker in a 3 Piece

At that time, VH was taking a bit of flak because some people were saying that the album was too light. It was a bit baffled as to why the band kept releasing the lightest songs as singles (When It's Love, Feels So Good, Finish What Ya Started.... although they did release Black and Blue...) all great songs, but not the harder (and more impressive) ones, in my opinion.

Anyway, this album to me will always be one of the more FUN and "colorful" ones, and a great BEACH album and perfect for SUMMER.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

VAN HALEN - OU812

By David Fricke
    June 30, 1988

Okay, first things first. Before you do anything else with OU812, flip it over and cue up "Source of Infection," the opening salvo on side two (you CD fiends can just program track 5), and let 'er rip. While Eddie Van Halen sprays you with a machine-gun succession of speed-metal-guitar arpeggios, Sammy Hagar sends out the party invitations with his usual savoir-faire — "Hey! All right! Whoo!" Alex Van Halen and Michael Anthony, of course, take him at his word, shooting into hyper-beat space before you can say, "Jump."

So there you have it. Two years down the trail from 5150 and the advent of the Hagar Years, the rage remains the same. Van Halen, contrary to purist grumbling, did not wimp out when Diamond Dave hit the bricks. Nor did the band go — ugh! — pop: the 5150 ladies' choice "Why Can't This Be Love" wasn't really a ballad; it was more like Big Rock Melancholia. In fact, all the 5150-model Van Halen did was replace one mighty mouth with another and trot out some hip, new songwriting tricks. "Source of Infection," an A-bomb blast of sass 'n' thrash in the great VH tradition of "I'm the One" (Van Halen) and "Hot for Teacher" (1984), should be proof enough that Van Halen can still waaaagh like no other arena-stadium combo on the planet.

Still even Van Halen recognizes there is more to life than waaaagh. Not much more, to be sure. The better part of OU812 (as in "Oh, you ate one, too") is about nothing more complicated than the horizontal rumba, with Anthony on bass and the Van Halen brothers cranking out high-decibel bump and grind behind Hagar's spirited play-by-play.

The album actually commences, though, with a rare stab at spirituality, in "Mine All Mine." Lyrically, it's basically a shorthand self-help sermon ("Stop lookin' out Start lookin' in Be your own best friend"). But the arrangement — with Eddie's chordal chunks of almost jazzy guitar, the migraine throb of the beat backfield, a moody keyboard glaze and the boys' sunny background oohing during the melodic bended-knee breaks — speaks volumes about the band's desire to find new ways of making the old noise.

The curve balls, though, don't always hit the strike zone. "Finish What Ya Started" is an unexpected turn into wheat-field-rock country. Eddie tones down his six-string slashing into a kind of Ry Cooder-country-blues cluck, and the song — with its relaxed air of acoustic understatement — is a nice breather from the album's dominant monster stomp. But it skirts a little too close to Mellencamp turf to be convincing and lacks a knockout hook, a particularly noticeable handicap with the volume turned down so low.

On the other hand, the Hagar incarnation of Van Halen has gotten quite good at whacking out high-potency, mush-free love songs. While "Feels So Good" and "When It's Love" are admittedly cut from the same cloth as "Why Can't This Be Love," it's still a good fit — broad synthesizer strokes edged with heavy-metal menace, easygoing choruses accented with a hard-pumping bottom — and preferable to the pseudo-sensitive malarkey peddled by Mötley Crüe and Whitesnake in their reflective moments.

Van Halen, in either incarnation, has never made any pretensions to sensitivity. The only difference is that David Lee Roth was a master of sexual punning and wink-wink-nudge-nudge innuendo. Sammy Hagar isn't quite so evasive: when he bellows, "Slip n' slide, push it in," in the unrepentantly raunchy "Black and Blue," you can bet he's not singing about changing the oil filter in his car. If your taste runs to great love sonnets like Led Zeppelin's "The Lemon Song," you'll certainly dig "Cabo Wabo," a slow blues fantasy of sex and surf south of the border, in which Hagar makes the mere act of drinking tequila sound like an Olympic event ("We drink mescal right from the bottle/Salt shaker, little lick o'lime, ohhh").

And if you have serious reservations about white blues machismo (so who wants to hear Shakespeare at 120 decibels?), remember that the Van Halen experience has never been so much about what the band says as how it says it. Frankly, Hagar could be singing excerpts from the Los Angeles Yellow Pages, a Chinese-restaurant menu or the Penthouse letters section.

OU812, like the best VH vinyl, is about the thrill of extremes — Eddie's daredevil guitar science, Sammy's Tarzan howl, getting your chest shoved in by Alex's hammering double bass drums. "A.F.U. (Naturally Wired)" says it all, really. Sorry, kids, this "A.F.U." stands for "all fired up," not "all fucked up," and it's about getting high on nothing more (or less) than rock's primal scream. It is full of that unmistakable Van Halen waaaagh, punctuated by heart-stopping time changes, and in the middle break Eddie and Sammy go into a combined guitar-vocal shriek that harks back to the old Plant-Page banshee duets of Zeppelin lore.

Considering that it's been a whole decade since Van Halen first struck platinum, maybe Eddie and company haven't been pushing the envelope, so to speak, far enough in terms of songwriting. But "Mine All Mine" is a good teaser for the future, the slow stuff is classy radio fare, and at its best, OU812 is a veritable feast of great white rock & roll wow. Quit beefing about the naughty bits and chow down.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...ou812-19880630

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 2,640 Times in 1,323 Posts

Yeah, I thought Black and Blue was actually the first single, was it not? I know that's the first song I heard from it anyway. But yeah, I'm with you. It's usually the lesser known songs that are my favorites. OU812 was one of the very first CDs I bought, I'm pretty sure I got my first player in the spring of 1988. I really love Feels So Good though.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 1,962 Times in 1,362 Posts

What about "Mine all Mine" ??

That guitar solo from Ed at 2:26 is probably his best work on OU812.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Yeah, I thought Black and Blue was actually the first single, was it not? I know that's the first song I heard from it anyway. But yeah, I'm with you. It's usually the lesser known songs that are my favorites. OU812 was one of the very first CDs I bought, I'm pretty sure I got my first player in the spring of 1988. I really love Feels So Good though.
    Count me in too. It's just such a damned happy song.

Last Online

Premium Member

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

The lyrics in general could have used some more time in the oven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

I love OU812. Two of Eddie's best solos ever (Mine All Mine & AFU). The deep tracks, like almost every other VH album, are what make this for me.

I seem to be the only person on earth that likes Source of Infection. Yes, the lyrics are terrible, but the backing vocals and Eddie ending the tune with 3 blistering solos does it for me. What a crazy way to end the song; 3 choruses, 3 solos between them. Hot damn!

When it comes to VH ballads, or any others, When It's Love is about as good as it gets. I have no shame in saying it is a great tune.
    Last edited by Reckless Fable; 05.24.13 at 12:25 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post

What the fuck is that thing?
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 12:05 PM
    Liked 1,878 Times in 1,097 Posts

WOW.

I didn't even think of this. I remember the day I bought it. Great, great times. Gotta blast it on the way home.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:30 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

First CD i ever bought was OU812 in 1988.
    Bought it then later that day or week bought my first CD player.

First VH tour i saw was OU812 in Lincoln, NE on Nov 5th 1988.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little guitars
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 1,150 Times in 515 Posts

I bought the vinyl ! the last vh vinyl i've bought! ( Later i Bought ADKOT)! for me it 's the worth Van Hagar' album!!!

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    The lyrics in general could have used some more time in the oven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 473 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    VAN HALEN - OU812
    "Finish What Ya Started" is an unexpected turn into wheat-field-rock country. Eddie tones down his six-string slashing into a kind of Ry Cooder-country-blues cluck, and the song — with its relaxed air of acoustic understatement — is a nice breather from the album's dominant monster stomp. But it skirts a little too close to Mellencamp turf to be convincing and lacks a knockout hook
    Lacks a knockout hook? It's one of their catchiest hooks ever.

I agree with some of the lyrics needing more time in the oven though: "SOI," "BAB," and "SIA3P" to be specific. I was gonna say "AFUNW" but never mind.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

My favorite Hagar era album and Top 3 VH album for sure!
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.