Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1,970 Times in 1,367 Posts

Default What is a good age for starting Guitar lessons? (young kids)

Looking for a little help from the guitar players here.

What is a good age for a kid to start learning with some lessons?

I know it will vary a bit from kid to kid, but I was just looking for some opinions. I figure if they are to young, they will just get frustrated.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I currently have 40 students. They range in age from 7-66. From my perspective and experience, it all depends on the child and the parent. The youngest student I had started at age 5. He was determined to learn and his parents both supported him and encouraged him to practice.

The biggest thing you can do as a parent is encourage them to practice. The songs/skills will come if the student practices. Generally speaking most kids aren't mature enough to practice on their own. They need parents/grandparents/guardian to encourage them to practice. Sometimes encourage translates to MAKE THEM practice.

I do find it funny that as parents we'll drag our kids to every sports practice possible, lose our minds when they make a mistake during a game, and pay for extra special coaching, yet we complain when an 8 year old won't practice the on their own!

I try to meet with every new student before he/she commits to lessons and discuss what they/I want to achieve with lessons. I talk to the parents to get a feel for how much time they want to invest in lessons and the practice after lessons.

I try to never turn a student away. I feel it's not my place to tell someone that "No, you don't have it". They usually will weed themselves out. And, I don't want to be the one that kills a dream.

With all that said, it's a personal decision between you and your child. If you're willing to make the commitment on a parent level, then go for it.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

I don't think there's really any specific age, but rather when you know that the kid has the focus, drive, and patience to learn and play.

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

Seriously,..when they can go to the bathroom by themselves.
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I think we are getting a little off track here....

Just asking when is "GENERALLY" a good age for a kid.

Thanks for the reply A&Z.

We have around 100 guitar players in here, when did you guys start? Anybody start relatively young?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

The age when that kid asks for lessons. I started playing when I was 8 and I took lessons for a few months when I was 14. I had the desire to figure things out and the few lessons I had gave me the tools that I needed and the understanding of HOW to practice for me to continue learning on my own. Like most guitar players, I wish I'd learned how to read music and that is an immeasurable help to every musician and to this day most guitarists can't read a note. In fact virtually all the great ones, including Ed have little to no knowledge of music theory.

If there is one thing I would recommend, it is to try to encourage the kid to learn as much theory as possible as early as possible. I would recommend that kids only start when THEY want it. There is nothing that will turn a kid off to learning an instrument more than a parent forcing them to do so. It is aboit encouragement from the parent, but the desire really has to come from the child.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

10 (or so) is a great age. They're starting to get bigger (and can thus handle a guitar better) and will have more patience during the lesson. I've had success with students as young as 8. I recommend starting your kid out on piano. It's a great way to get him/her started on the basics--playing, reading, and feeling music--and knowledge of the keyboard will help with any instrument they move on to later. A year (or two or three) of piano, then guitar at age 9 or 10.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Thanks for the comments. It confirmed what I was thinking.

My youngest son is a bit to young right now, but he did enjoy going to the local guitar studio/shop and talking some VH & AC/DC with the guys there.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 97 Posts

Both my sons had guitars at a young age, but never really started to get interested until they were about 10.

I started playing sax in the 3rd grade in the school band. The next year I switched to drums. When I got into high school I dropped out f the school band because you were forced to be in marching band if you were a drummer. I picked up the guitar around that age.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I started with recorder very young and later i did piano. Piano might be an easier instrument to get a foundation in music.
    Either way don't force too much. A little push helps sometimes.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    10 (or so) is a great age. They're starting to get bigger (and can thus handle a guitar better) and will have more patience during the lesson. I've had success with students as young as 8. I recommend starting your kid out on piano. It's a great way to get him/her started on the basics--playing, reading, and feeling music--and knowledge of the keyboard will help with any instrument they move on to later. A year (or two or three) of piano, then guitar at age 9 or 10.
    +1. I agree with this. From my memory, at least with piano when I was a kid, by 10, I remember I started to take things in better. For guitar, like Andrew said, by 10, most kids are big enough to hold a guitar, and span their finger across the fingerboard more naturally without straining to do so.
    This may not sound like a big deal, but my Brother in law got my 7 yr. old nephew guitar lessons a couple years ago, and all he did was complain about it being "too hard to put his fingers on the chords". so he lost interest in it because he hated the lessons, and the teacher.
    That said, there are 3/4 size guitars, but I think he just hadn't developed enough to take it on, or have that kind of dexterity yet.
    Now he's 9, and is playing a keyboard, and going back to guitar playing simple tunes he learned off YouTube. His dad is a little afraid to get him lessons again, but he's a little older now, and he's grown a lot in the past year, so who knows? I still think he's got a ways to go mentally, because he's so impulsive and hyper still. He has a real good sense of rhythm though. He can hold a good beat timing on my drums.
    My thinking is if something can hold his interest for a half hour or more, then he can probably handle lessons. If he's still going from one thing to the next 4 or 5 times an hour, it's a gamble, and you could risk pushing him away inadvertently as it feels more like work than enjoyment.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.20.16 @ 05:54 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    Looking for a little help from the guitar players here.

What is a good age for a kid to start learning with some lessons?

I know it will vary a bit from kid to kid, but I was just looking for some opinions. I figure if they are to young, they will just get frustrated.
    I own a music school that teaches hundreds of kids per week and I think the youngest age to start guitar lessons should in most cases be age 7. there is too much coordination required that kids younger that seven don't quite have yet and that usually leads to frustration and quitting. For the 4 and 5 yr olds who are "obsessed with the guitar" and "have a really good ear", buy them a uke and let them beat the crap out of it until they are seven