Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Default EVH Wolfgang pickup/Stripe Series owners

Hi. I have a new EVH Stripe Series. W/B. #49. I like it way more than I expected too. I also have a USA Wolfgang Stealth. So I'm somewhat familiar with this guitar line. I like the Wolfgang pickup in my Stealth. Reminds me of a slightly lower output Tone Zone. So in a basswood body I expected the Wolfgang pickup to sound a little different. Without a maple cap there should be less treble. Wrong. My Stripe Series is louder and has more high end to it. I even put new EVH strings on my Stealth to make it a more even comparison. Stripe Series is still way louder. It's at least as loud, maybe louder, than my Tone Zone guitar. Which is also one pickup one volume knob.

So what's up? Stripe Series acoustically is about the same as the Stealth. But I hear that extra bit of treble I think. But there's little or no volume difference acoustically. I think I read about Wolfgang pickups installed in other guitars and the reviews seem to be what I experienced with my Stealth. But could it be the tone knob, three way toggle, and neck pickup effect the output that drastically? It's obvious they are the same pickup. The Stripe Series is just hotter. Actually closer to classic VH I think. So I'm not complaining! Does Fender hand wire these pickups? That would explain it if they did. And yes, I know no two guitars will be the same. So it could be just mine is different. But I wonder if all the Stripe Series are given a hotter pickup? Any Wolfgang pickup guys or Stripe Series owners know what I'm talking about?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

First, congrats on the guitar!. I'd love the black and yellow one myself!
    Hopefully I'm understanding you question right. There's a couple of things going on.
    It's less to do with the acoustics here, and more to do with compression.
    Let's get technical for a bit....(and a little brand specific while we're at it!)

The typical answer: the long and short of it is usually when a tone knob is involved, even wide open there is a little roll off of high end, or treble, partially due to the pot's internal construction, but also the capacitor attached to it. That's why typically, a one pickup, one volume guitar is a little louder/brighter typically. Also the lack of parasitic loss from extra components and wiring is minimized.
    As far as the ToneZone pickup (Which I actually love)...Dimarzio use very exacting standards in their winding process...In other words both coils are precision wound exactly the same, and are also very exacting to their magnet specs for specific winds. They have it down to an absolute science. The Tone Zone is a poster child for what I'm talking about.

Theoretically most humbuckers should be wound in this way, but the honest truth is they're not. If you were to put say, a similar hot spec'd (In advertised output) Dimarzio against say, their biggest competition, S.D., you would notice with a critical ear that the Dimarzio has a much tighter, compressed response, vs. the S.D. having a little more of a spongey typical, broad, vintage feel, and a slightly higher noise floor.

The reason for this is the fact that Dimarzio has it's roots in high output pickups. Early on, they were basically the only game in town who made a true relatively low noise "distortion" pickup. To achieve a lower signal to noise ratio high output pickup, they really innovated the process in their winding patterns, processes and machines to match the coils as closely as possible to as the name implies "buck the hum". This became a real obsession for Dimarzio through the eighties, and it really split the two manufacturer's users into two groups. Shredders went for Dimarzio, and most Hard Rock, jazz types were partial to SD.

SD (for comparison sake only) have always been more geared to the more classic design pickups and variation of of those pickups, though they do have some very high output models as well nowadays, but their more traditional winding methods always seem to provide a taste of vintage flavour, which is a hallmark of Seymour Duncan.

So in short, I think what you may be perceiving as less loudness with the ToneZone is actually it's natural tendency to compress, as well as the natural boosting and cutting of frequencies in process. For an example of this, pull a bending (or dive your whammy) two string pinch harmonic with your TZ guitar, then your EVH. The TZ throughout the range of the bend, you're most likely, depending on your gain, gonna hear very distinctive laddered frequency shift between the notes. The EVH, you're probably going to hear a more linear typical response.
    It's actually a pretty complex issue, but hopefully I've given you a little insight.
    Last edited by we die young; 05.21.13 at 01:46 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Of course, I should note that Fender of course do the Wolf pickups, so didn't want to confuse the issue, but there again, Fender are known for a distinctively designed pickup type as well. I was using SD as a direct comparison only given those two are the biggest direct competitors.
    I wrote the above during my lunch break at work, so trying to cram in what I could in short order!
    Last edited by we die young; 05.21.13 at 03:16 PM.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Thanks we die young. I thought it might be the tone knob and extras that come with coloring the signal path. Like neck humbucker. I assumed Ed V. would have compensated for that with his pickup in the Wolfgang guitars. Anyway, it's a pleasant surprise. It makes the Striped Series feel a little closer to classic VH. To me anyway.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    Thanks we die young. I thought it might be the tone knob and extras that come with coloring the signal path. Like neck humbucker. I assumed Ed V. would have compensated for that with his pickup in the Wolfgang guitars. Anyway, it's a pleasant surprise. It makes the Striped Series feel a little closer to classic VH. To me anyway.
    Isn't it true that the original Bumblebee (the one buried with Dime) actually did have a tone control, but that it was preset and stuffed into the control cavity where it couldn't be touched?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    Isn't it true that the original Bumblebee (the one buried with Dime) actually did have a tone control, but that it was preset and stuffed into the control cavity where it couldn't be touched?

The black and Yellow did indeed have a tone at one point left loose in the rear cavity, at least for some time, but then so did the Frank (Or possibly the Kramer Franky) briefly. I remember seeing a closeup of the cavity, and it having a tone wired in...not sure why that was....Could have been that even though Ed's main amp was the Holy Grail Plexi, Ed did have backups, not all of them Plexi's, like some 70's JMP's and Laney's. I have a couple JMP Super Leads, and they are a much more trebly amp, so he may have put the tone in to roll off some of that brutal high end that they have. he didn't have it for long, so who knows. Maybe he had Jose play with the tone stacks of his backups.
    Jimi would be a great source as far as the mystery tone knobs.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 191 Times in 96 Posts

I just ordered the Bumblebee Striped Series model, but the damn thing is on back order. Doh! They say it will ship on June 6th. I'll give a review after I get my hands on it. Seems like most are happy with theirs, so I decided to pull the trigger (and the wife even approved- She said it will be my Father's Day present).
    Last edited by ScottyBHarris; 05.28.13 at 11:48 AM.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

It's the tone pot. The tone pot basically removes the high frequencies as you roll it from 10 to 0. Even with it at 10, it still drags down your high frequencies a little bit.

Perceived volume lies primarily in the mid-range frequencies. If the lack of the tone knob increases your Hi-Mid response, that could explain the perceived increase in volume.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    It's the tone pot. The tone pot basically removes the high frequencies as you roll it from 10 to 0. Even with it at 10, it still drags down your high frequencies a little bit.

Perceived volume lies primarily in the mid-range frequencies. If the lack of the tone knob increases your Hi-Mid response, that could explain the perceived increase in volume.
    Exactly! It's like with my favorite Marshall SL. it sounds pretty crunchy on it's own, but I usually boost the mids with an MXR 10 band EQ, and it really comes to life with a more overdriven tone. It's amazing what a added little high-mid frequency will do to the overall tone. I usually either disconnect the tone knob and leave it for cosmetics on a collector guitar, and just don't bother installing them at all in most of my guitars.
    The only guitar i have with an active tone is in my Gibson SG, and that's only on the neck pickup. It's a great all around guitar, so I use it for blues gigs and Allman Bros. type stuff.

On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I dont care for the treb loss of the tone pot so i always disconnect them in my guitars unless the pu is a very trebly model like a JB.
    the wolfgang pu sounds best with just a 500K volume pot IMO.
    I still think EVH should have opted for the frankenstein in these striped series guitars. more era correct

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvelstrat_81 View Post
    I dont care for the treb loss of the tone pot so i always disconnect them in my guitars unless the pu is a very trebly model like a JB.
    the wolfgang pu sounds best with just a 500K volume pot IMO.
    I still think EVH should have opted for the frankenstein in these striped series guitars. more era correct
    I don't think he was going for era correct with these or else he may have also used different woods. I think he was going for his current sound with the looks of old, kinda like guys with new Mustangs that put old-style striping on them.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

FUCK ! I don't know what the deal is, but why can't Mexican kids build guitars any faster ?

Ordered my Striped Series Bumblebee in late May, when it was expected to be back in stock in early June, since, delivery has been bumped to July 6, July 13, August 1st and just now was bumped again to August 8th.

WTF?
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 191 Times in 96 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post
    FUCK ! I don't know what the deal is, but why can't Mexican kids build guitars any faster ?

Ordered my Striped Series Bumblebee in late May, when it was expected to be back in stock in early June, since, delivery has been bumped to July 6, July 13, August 1st and just now was bumped again to August 8th.

WTF?
    I actually ended up cancelling my order. I placed the order months ago and the date keeps getting pushed back, so I said fuck it. I'll probably pick one later in the year.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:26 AM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post

The black and Yellow did indeed have a tone at one point left loose in the rear cavity, at least for some time, but then so did the Frank (Or possibly the Kramer Franky) briefly. I remember seeing a closeup of the cavity, and it having a tone wired in...not sure why that was....Could have been that even though Ed's main amp was the Holy Grail Plexi, Ed did have backups, not all of them Plexi's, like some 70's JMP's and Laney's. I have a couple JMP Super Leads, and they are a much more trebly amp, so he may have put the tone in to roll off some of that brutal high end that they have. he didn't have it for long, so who knows. Maybe he had Jose play with the tone stacks of his backups.
    Jimi would be a great source as far as the mystery tone knobs.
    yeah when I did my Bee guitar I actually did the same thing to keep it real. Wired up a tone and stuffed it in the cavity (on full) and left it alone. If you think back Ed always said the reason he only wired the one pickup to one knob in the frank is because he could not remember how to wire it back up after he tore it all apart. I would not be surprised when he painted the black and yellow some of the electronics were already hooked up and or wired and he did not want to bother unhooking / un soldering stuff so he just stuffed them all in the cavity, covered it up with the cover and then painted it and never bothered to remove the tone knob. I've actually done that before too when painting bodies. ha ha.... you never know with Ed but yeah that was always neat how it had a tone knob but never got exposed. Typical Ed back in the late 70s

Rob

Unchained
    Last Online

11.11.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Actually I am sure someone on here could build any one of those glossy striped series Mexican junk in my opinion guitars with all top of line components for about the same or a little more. Actually I know one builder on here that can build you a Bumble Bee with an original floyd rose, schaller tuners, birdseye maple neck, bourns 500k pot, and Franky pick up. For 950.00. So for 50.00 bucks more you get all top quality parts, and like I said not Mexican junk. If you want the name p.m. me and I will tell you. Not trying to offend anyone, just my opinion