Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Default Leaders from 11 Native American tribes stormed out of a meeting with US federal offic

http://rt.com/usa/native-americans-k...-pipeline-475/

Leaders from 11 Native American tribes stormed out of a meeting with US federal officials in Rapid City, South Dakota, to protest the proposed Keystone XL pipeline, which they say will lead to ‘environmental genocide.’

Native Americans are opposed to the 1,179-mile (1,897km) Keystone XL project, a system to transport tar sands oil from Canada and the northern United States to refineries in Texas for various reasons, including possible damage to sacred sites, pollution, and water contamination.

Although the planned pipeline would not pass directly through any Native American reservation, tribes in proximity to the proposed system say it will violate their traditional lands and that the environmental risks of the project are simply too great.

Russ Girling, CEO of TransCanada, the company that hopes to build the pipeline, has promised in the past that Keystone XL will be “the safest pipeline ever built.”

The Indian groups, as well as other activist organizations, doubt the claim, saying the risks involved in the project are too high.

In an effort to ease their concerns, officials from the Department of State agreed to meet with tribal leaders on Thursday in the Hilton Garden Inn in Rapid City, Michigan.

Before the talks could begin, however, tribal leaders walked out, angered that the government had sent what they considered low-level representatives.

In a press conference following the walkout, tribal leaders took turns criticizing the project, as well as the Obama administration.

"I will only meet with President Obama," Bryan Brewer, president of the Oglala Sioux Tribe, told the Rapid City Journal.
    http://rt.com/usa/native-americans-k...-pipeline-475/
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Can't we just sign a treaty with these guys to make them go away and then take a shit on it later? That's the American way, right?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Can't we just sign a treaty with these guys to make them go away and then take a shit on it later? That's the American way, right?
    If they're anything like our Natives...they won't let them get away with it anymore. And that's a good thing!

I have a lot of First Nation friends on Facebook. There's been a "quiet revolution" taking place for a long time. We caught a glimpse of it with the Idle No More movement. As far as I'm concerned, it's time we started listening to them when it comes to the environment. Hell, I wish our "founding fathers" had assimilated. I admire a lot of First Nations' values.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

My default position is usually to back the natives (they've historically been screwed pretty badly) but if the pipeline isn't being built on any of their reserves then they should have no voice here. If you give them a voice (like we did in caledonia) it'll get messy.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    My default position is usually to back the natives (they've historically been screwed pretty badly) but if the pipeline isn't being built on any of their reserves then they should have no voice here. If you give them a voice (like we did in caledonia) it'll get messy.
    Ummm...Caledonia was a land dispute. The 6 Nations never ceded the land in question. We didn't give them a voice, they demanded to be heard.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

To suggest that reservation lands are the only territory for which these peoples have any say is ignorant IMHO. I work with First Nations people every day and if it weren't for their efforts we'd all be screwed with regards to our immense environmental disregard.

The reserves are government lands forced upon indigenous people which were constantly changed, combined, shrunk etc, and they've often times become a haven for the social issues colonization has created and intergenerationally replicated.

The desperate efforts to exploit the Earth are going to kill us all, and if nothing else it's extremely frustrating that people treat Aboriginal peoples like radicalized hippies when the reality is they are more aware than anyone how much damage we're doing. Their voices are essential to these debates IMHO.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love View Post
    To suggest that reservation lands are the only territory for which these peoples have any say is ignorant IMHO. I work with First Nations people every day and if it weren't for their efforts we'd all be screwed with regards to our immense environmental disregard.

The reserves are government lands forced upon indigenous people which were constantly changed, combined, shrunk etc, and they've often times become a haven for the social issues colonization has created and intergenerationally replicated.

The desperate efforts to exploit the Earth are going to kill us all, and if nothing else it's extremely frustrating that people treat Aboriginal peoples like radicalized hippies when the reality is they are more aware than anyone how much damage we're doing. Their voices are essential to these debates IMHO.
    Thank you, so well stated. I too work with a lot of First Nations people and agree with everything you said. Hai Hai.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 AM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

I thought BO already said no pipeline several years ago? Why are everyones bowels in an uproar? Nothings going to change until another election here in the states and depending on what party wins.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by cdnangel View Post
    Ummm...Caledonia was a land dispute. The 6 Nations never ceded the land in question. We didn't give them a voice, they demanded to be heard.
    By that logic all of canada is in a land dispute. There's a group that lays claim to basically every piece of land in the country. The land in caledonia was purchased in good faith.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    By that logic all of canada is in a land dispute. There's a group that lays claim to basically every piece of land in the country. The land in caledonia was purchased in good faith.
    Study Aboriginal Title and Supreme Court decisions for a better understanding. It's too complex to get into on a message board.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by cdnangel View Post
    Study Aboriginal Title and Supreme Court decisions for a better understanding. It's too complex to get into on a message board.

Not enough interest in the topic to do that. I know that its wrong for native people to hold people hostage in their own homes at gunpoint. People bought homes in good faith, the treatment they faced from the natives (and our own govt) was criminal. Being told that they needed a native passport to gain access to their own home? Please. I wonder if you'd feel the same if it was your own home. I bet you wouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,159 Times in 8,975 Posts

I'm technically Native American, but I choose to just be American.

I will be sure to be flamed for this, but I am personally over the special treatment given to Native Americans.

Yes, you got fucked over. It was over a century ago, move on. To the victors go the spoils. You lost, we won, it has happened all throughout history. Integrate into modern society.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

I will be sure to be flamed for this, but I am personally over the special treatment given to Native Americans.

Yes, you got fucked over. It was over a century ago, move on. To the victors go the spoils. You lost, we won, it has happened all throughout history. Integrate into modern society.
    It's not over and it has never ended, your view on this is why there's so much racism towards them. Seriously dude, they integrate all the time but not at the expense of the environment and our world. I'm not trying to flame you but seriously it's not about "special treatment", granted there are many natives who give them a bad name. You're implying there's nothing wrong with wiping out a culture, and "modern society" is exactly why our friends and family die every fucking day from cancer. I respect that you chose your identity but your view is grossly over-simplified IMHO.

Collaboration is the key here, not exclusion

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,159 Times in 8,975 Posts

People complain about pipelines and oil refineries, but they sure as shit don't complain about the oil and gas that heats their homes and powers their cars, or the petroleum used to make a large portion of the products they use on a daily basis.

You can't have one without the other.

I have no intention of reading the details on this issue, but if a pipeline is needed, fucking put it there and compenstate the land owners for it, whomever they are, Native American or otherwise. Seems from the article that it doesn't even go over any of their lands. If the pipeline is proven to have exorbitant environmental risks, then it should be prevented, but the fact that they are Native Americans should have zero to do with it.

And the arrogance of saying "I will only meet with President Obama" is ridiculous beyond belief.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

You say "we won". In Canada, there were no Indian wars...there was just trickery and lies.