Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    29,792
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 02:58 PM
    Likes
    1,873
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts


    Premium Member

    GADZOOKS! Imagine If Gary Had This Hair When He Was In Van Halen


  2. #2
    Baluchitherium Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.01.99
    Age
    47
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,231
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:38 PM
    Likes
    468
    Liked 739 Times in 407 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Whatever. If people were going to judget talent based upon hair from the past - they'd never have let Dave back in the band during the Sam/Dave tour.

    I think Gary has an outstanding voice - and writes some great music (especially when partnered w/ Nuno). I will go on record as saying, HAD Van Halen taken their time w/ Gary - allowing him to gel, allowed him to sing versus trying to emulate Sam, not rush VH III (explored some of the concepts to become much better) - the era w/ him and Ed could have ended that much better. In other words - the follow up to VH III would have been oustanding.

    This said - I'm happy he's back w/ Nuno making their music. Extreme opening for VH is a show I'd actually pay to see.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,838
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Likes
    3,496
    Liked 18,085 Times in 8,934 Posts

    Default

    It has always baffled me how they took a great singer like Gary Cherone and somehow how made him sound like Brian Johnson gargling marbles.

    No need to go into VHIII sucks and here is why version 723, but it still makes me ponder how anyone listened to those vocal takes and said "yeah, that sounds great, send it off to be mastered".

    Vocals on VHIII make DLR sound like Pavarotti.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  4. #4
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    29,792
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 02:58 PM
    Likes
    1,873
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Whatever. If people were going to judget talent based upon hair from the past - they'd never have let Dave back in the band during the Sam/Dave tour.

    I think Gary has an outstanding voice - and writes some great music (especially when partnered w/ Nuno). I will go on record as saying, HAD Van Halen taken their time w/ Gary - allowing him to gel, allowed him to sing versus trying to emulate Sam, not rush VH III (explored some of the concepts to become much better) - the era w/ him and Ed could have ended that much better. In other words - the follow up to VH III would have been oustanding.

    This said - I'm happy he's back w/ Nuno making their music. Extreme opening for VH is a show I'd actually pay to see.
    Awesome hair pun.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk LLFHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.04
    Location
    Secret Witness Protection Location
    Posts
    31,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

    Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

    07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Likes
    34
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    My "Gadzooks" moment was Gary joining Van Halen.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

    [sigpic][/sigpic]


    Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

  6. #6
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.25.00
    Age
    45
    Location
    Va Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,016
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    Great singer, just not right for Van Halen.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,612
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Likes
    4,313
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I feel bad for Gary.

    Being lead singer for a band as renowned as VH should have been the crowning glory in his career. I didn't think he was a good fit but he gave it a valiant effort for the most part. Gay stage mannerisms aside.

  8. #8
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,583
    Last Online

    12.07.17 @ 02:18 AM
    Likes
    9
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

    Default

    Gary's got a great voice, I like his approach to lyrics, seems like a pretty good guy. There's no way he could have ever fit in with VH, being the third singer especially after the faux reunion that started on the MTV awards. He sounds real good here with Queen but was always a bit awkward with VH. I don't really care about hair of clothes, it all changes all the time anyway and it doesn't mean anything. Never understood why people complained about him being "gay". First of all, there's nothing wrong with being gay, and besides it's showbiz, so a certain amount of flair and flamboyance is par for the course. I don't care if Freddie Mercury was gay, or Rob Halford. If Dave came out next week it wouldn't change how I feel about him...who cares.

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,838
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Likes
    3,496
    Liked 18,085 Times in 8,934 Posts

    Default

    If DLR came out next week I would think it was fabulous.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  10. #10
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,076
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,669 Times in 3,696 Posts

    Default

    great performance - that guy sure can f-ing sing.

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk LLFHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.04
    Location
    Secret Witness Protection Location
    Posts
    31,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

    Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

    07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Likes
    34
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jape Man View Post
    Great singer, just not right for Van Halen.
    This.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

    [sigpic][/sigpic]


    Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

  12. #12
    Romeo Delight tphitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.12
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    110
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:26 PM
    Likes
    391
    Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    My "Gadzooks" moment was Gary joining Van Halen.
    I whole heartedly agree. There's another pun for the gang...

  13. #13
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    08.23.11
    Age
    49
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,903
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 05:04 PM
    Likes
    2,480
    Liked 2,643 Times in 1,325 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Gary's got a great voice, I like his approach to lyrics, seems like a pretty good guy. There's no way he could have ever fit in with VH, being the third singer especially after the faux reunion that started on the MTV awards. He sounds real good here with Queen but was always a bit awkward with VH. I don't really care about hair of clothes, it all changes all the time anyway and it doesn't mean anything. Never understood why people complained about him being "gay". First of all, there's nothing wrong with being gay, and besides it's showbiz, so a certain amount of flair and flamboyance is par for the course. I don't care if Freddie Mercury was gay, or Rob Halford. If Dave came out next week it wouldn't change how I feel about him...who cares.

    I agree with this. I'm as straight as can be and I don't care who's gay or straight, either. I've been a big Judas Priest fan for 30 years and even though I never suspected or even thought about whether Rob was gay or not beforehand when he came out it didn't affect my perception of him or the band one iota. I don't think anyone seriously thinks Gary is gay anyway, he's obviously not.

    Having said all that, Cherone regularly just acted bizarre and weird on stage with VH. I don't know if the people who called it "gay" meant that literally or not but it was hard not to notice how awkward he looked on stage with them. And considering all of Dave's twirling and Liberace outfits that's really saying something.

    And on the stuff that actually matters, the vocals, I agree with the others here. Gary does sound really good to me when he's not in Van Halen. And yet the vocals on VHIII are just a completely amelodic mess. I really don't know what happened. I swear at times it almost sounds like he just recorded the vocals before the music was even recorded. It's just weird.

  14. #14
    Good Enough pickslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.02.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,843
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 01:46 PM
    Likes
    790
    Liked 795 Times in 431 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I never thought Gary acted any 'gayer' than most other lead singers. Dave, Robert Plant, Coverdale, whatever. Dave dressed all flashdancy in the 80s and in the Jump video he's wearing about 27 plastic bracelets. Lead singers have always had a certain effeminate quality. So what?

    I remember some linkers mocking Gary for his self reach-around during the MTV concert. Watch the live performance of Get the Funk Out. He does the same thing. He has some weird and, yes, effeminate moves. Again, so what? Watch Sammy in his flaming yellow pants circa 1989. He looks like a goob. But he sings like a mofo and the band was tight as a Swiss watch.

    It's about the music, people, not the imagined sexual preference of some move the singer does.

    TK

  15. #15
    Baluchitherium Harpospoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.12.12
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,286
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Likes
    10,119
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    I never thought Gary acted any 'gayer' than most other lead singers. Dave, Robert Plant, Coverdale, whatever. Dave dressed all flashdancy in the 80s and in the Jump video he's wearing about 27 plastic bracelets. Lead singers have always had a certain effeminate quality. So what?

    I remember some linkers mocking Gary for his self reach-around during the MTV concert. Watch the live performance of Get the Funk Out. He does the same thing. He has some weird and, yes, effeminate moves. Again, so what? Watch Sammy in his flaming yellow pants circa 1989. He looks like a goob. But he sings like a mofo and the band was tight as a Swiss watch.

    It's about the music, people, not the imagined sexual preference of some move the singer does.

    TK
    True stuff.

    Another great performer who got the "he's gay!" label...Prince. And anyone else remember the Billy Squire video (Rock Me Tonight) that pretty much ended his career because everyone thought he was gay? Maybe there is just something about being a confident male onstage, dressed in an outrageous outfit, holding a mic/mic stand, with a beat going that you are moving around to....that makes you appear more "gay"?

    I dunno... Hard to say if being "gay" helps you be a great performer...but it certainly doesn't hurt!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Ed's Hair? How about Dave's Chest hair? Where did it go?
    By LeftyVanHalen in forum 2007 Van Halen Tour
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 11.03.07, 02:38 PM
  2. Imagine classic, original VAN HALEN re-convening live infronto'yo'...
    By Blind Lemon Loons in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06.23.06, 11:41 AM
  3. Gary Back In Van Halen....???
    By Vince G. in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02.13.03, 07:42 AM
  4. VAN HALEN INFLUENCED HAIR BANDS
    By WingerRules in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07.14.01, 05:11 PM
  5. VAN HALEN INFLUENCED HAIR BANDS
    By WingerRules in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07.06.01, 04:42 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •