Register
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:23 AM
    Liked 6,851 Times in 3,588 Posts

Premium Member

Sobering Thoughts

The National Transportation Safety Board today recommended that all 50 states lower the benchmark for determining when a driver is legally drunk from 0.08 blood-alcohol content to 0.05. The idea is part of an initiative to eliminate drunken driving, which accounts for about a third of all road deaths.

Lowering the rate to 0.05 would save about 500 to 800 lives every year, the safety board said.

The NTSB cannot mandate changes, but the agency is influential on matters of public safety.

Under current law, a 180-pound male typically will hit the 0.08 threshold after drinking four drinks in an hour, according to an online blood alcohol calculator published by the University of Oklahoma.

Blood Alcohol Calculator>>> http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/

Common Misbeliefs>>> http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/common-misbeliefs/

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:23 AM
    Liked 6,851 Times in 3,588 Posts

Premium Member

Default States Urged to Cut Limit on Alcohol for Drivers

WASHINGTON — Thousands of people are killed or injured every year by drivers who have not reached the legal standard for being drunk but who have a reduced ability to see, make decisions or operate a vehicle, the National Transportation Safety Board said on Tuesday, and it recommended that the states reduce the allowable blood-alcohol concentration by more than a third, to 0.05 percent from 0.08 percent.

The current standard was established a decade ago at the instigation of Congress, and progress has stalled, the board said, with about 10,000 fatalities a year.

“There are at least 10,000 reasons to tackle this issue,” said Deborah A. P. Hersman, the chairwoman of the board. Foreign countries with stricter standards have had substantially more success, according to the board.

The board voted for a variety of recommendations. Some, like requiring that everyone convicted of drunken driving be required to install a Breathalyzer interlock in their car, which would prevent the vehicle from starting without an alcohol test, were focused on heavy drinkers and repeat offenders.

Officials said they hoped that a stricter standard would reduce drinking and driving both among social drinkers and among heavy drinkers.

Blood-alcohol concentration varies by body weight, gender, stomach contents and other factors, but generally speaking, a 180-pound man could consume four beers or glasses of wine in 90 minutes without reaching the current limit. At a limit of 0.05 percent, he could legally consume only three. A 130-pound woman could probably consume three drinks in 90 minutes and be legal under the existing standard; if the limit were lowered, she could consume only two.

The blood-alcohol recommendation faces opposition. Sarah Longwell, the managing director at the American Beverage Institute, a restaurant trade association, called the idea “ludicrous.”

“Moving from 0.08 to 0.05 would criminalize perfectly responsible behavior,” she said. And “further restriction of moderate consumption of alcohol by responsible adults prior to driving does nothing to stop hard-core drunk drivers from getting behind the wheel.”

The board is already on record favoring research on built-in alcohol detectors, which could measure blood-alcohol content through a driver’s palms on the steering wheel or some other unobtrusive way. Those could be available as an option on new cars or could be universally required. Either would affect drinkers who have never been caught driving, who make up more than 90 percent of those involved in fatal alcohol-related crashes.

People with a blood-alcohol level of 0.05 percent are 38 percent more likely to be involved in a crash than those who have not been drinking, according to government statistics. People with a blood-alcohol level of 0.08 percent are 169 percent more likely.

The standard in most of the industrialized world is 0.05 percent. All 50 states and the District of Columbia switched to 0.08 percent after President Bill Clinton signed a law in 2000 that withheld highway construction money from states that did not agree to that standard.

“These tragedies affect both sides,” said Robert J. Sumwalt, one of the board members. He said his wife’s first cousin was killed by a drunken driver who was traveling down a highway in the wrong direction. And his own cousin, he said, goes on Sundays to visit her 21-year-old daughter who was sentenced to 15 years in prison for drunken driving.

Progress is mostly a matter of political will, board members said.

About 30 percent of all vehicle fatalities are tied to drunken driving, down from 50 percent when President Ronald Reagan raised the issue 30 years ago. The number of deaths is down to about 10,000 a year from about 21,000 over the same period. Highway deaths are decreasing over all because of better-designed cars, seat belt use and better highways.

The board has the support of other safety advocates, but not Mothers Against Drunk Driving. That group said it favored many parts of the board’s agenda, including the mandatory installation of the Breathalyzer interlock for anyone convicted of driving drunk, research on the passive alcohol sensors and “administrative license revocation,” which gives police officers on the highway the authority to seize a driver’s license at the time of an arrest. Those show strong potential for reducing the death toll, said J. T. Griffin, a Washington representative of the group.

The discussion of changing the definition of drunk, Mr. Griffin said, was the safety board’s “trying to focus on a group of people who are more social drinkers, who haven’t been targeted in a while.” MADD would not oppose the change, he said, but would pursue other remedies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/us...oard.html?_r=0

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

That's absurd. it does NOT need to be .05.

Let's see the numbers on how many drunk drivers are completely smashed way over the .08 mark.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

We (Ontario) changed ours from .08 to .05 a number of years ago. We also implemented a zero alochol policy for new drivers. I don't have a big problem with either but I often think this is much more about PR than solving the problem. The bigger issue is repeat drunk drivers who seem to always find their way back into the drivers seat. No matter what laws we pass the court system seems to find a way to fuck things up.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

Ban texting and putting on makeup before lowering it to .05.

I understand that alcohol causes problems but the multi-tasking that people do behind the wheel also contributes to fatalities.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Honestly, I feel like I'm more dangerous behind the wheel when I'm talking with a passenger (especially if they're in the back seat) than I am with a couple of beers in me.

I don't want people to just readily get behind the wheel after they've been drinking by any means, but I'm also concerned about the people whose lives are completely fucked up because they are at .06 and get charged with a misdemeanor that will show up background checks. That prevents employment in many cases which doesn't just effect their lives, but those of their families' as well.

I've always thought that each bar should have a cheap breathalizer test for you to take if you wanted to. If I knew I was over the limit, there's no way I would drive. The problem is that no one really knows what .08 feels like: they just think "eh...I'm okay to drive."
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:04 AM
    Liked 7,897 Times in 4,619 Posts

Premium Member

Just another feel-good proposal to appease MADD or their ilk.

You know what kills thousands of people on the road? Speeding and inattentive drivers. Let's lower the speed limit back to 55 or even 50. I also love how the government threatens states to abide by witholding OUR tax money from us for infrastructure and roads.
    Last edited by CaboChris; 05.15.13 at 07:52 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Let's lower the speed limit back to 55 or even 50.

Dude you gotta be kidding me. Next time you're on a highway for an hour try driving 55. It's impossible. I'd go out of my fucking mind if I had to do a road trip that slow, never mind 50!
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Dude you gotta be kidding me. Next time you're on a highway for an hour try driving 55. It's impossible. I'd go out of my fucking mind if I had to do a road trip that slow, never mind 50!
    I was being facetious.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I was being facetious.
    Ok. That went zooming right over my head! Lol. But you really can't tell by the way you worded everything.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Ok. That went zooming right over my head! Lol. But you really can't tell by the way you worded everything.
    Yes, I can see that now. Should have used an emoticon or something!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,191 Times in 8,988 Posts

It just isn't worth it to even have any alcohol in you anymore when you get behind the wheel.

If I have more than one drink, I'm not driving. Not that I don't think I am perfectly capable of doing so after two, or hell even four drinks, but just in case something does happen, if you blood alcohol is anything over say a .03, they might consider you impaired.

And I lose every license I have with a DUI. CPA, Cerrtified Financial Planner (TM), securities licenses, state licenses, every one of them goes bye bye. I could murder someone and have a better chance of keeping my licenses.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

Just another feel-good proposal to appease MADD or their ilk.

You know what kills thousands of people on the road? Speeding and inattentive drivers. Let's lower the speed limit back to 55 or even 50. I also love how the government threatens states to abide by witholding OUR tax money from us for infrastructure and roads.
    check out my sig.....since last summer I have been one of the "ilk" of which you are speaking

and trust me..it's not a "feel good proposal" becuase there is NOTHING that will ever make you feel good after you have lost a loved one to a drunk driver

This is not a MADD initiative so fact check before you shoot off your mouth

you don't know a damned thing about MADD and the services that the organizaiton offers or their programs

educate yourself. that organization is a God send

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

If you ask me, this is just another way to generate extra revenue for states. I don't think that blood alcohol calculator is accurate. A guy my size could have ONE alcoholic beverage and be .08, which hardly could be considered "drunk." If I leave that bar and get pulled over for a tail light being out, I'll most likely get a DUI to go with it. Not that I condone drunk driving, I sure don't, but think this isn't the answer. Certain states even have D.W.I. laws in place already, meaning you can get one if you're between .05 to .07 and, even if it's eventually changed, it won't stop people from drinking at bars and elsewhere, then going home behind the wheel.

I see texting and driving as just as serious problem if not more so.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

MADD's goal is to eliminate drunk driving, not merely prosecute it. They want no family to suffer thru losing a loved one to drunk driving and the hideous and frankly empty process of trying to get justice for your loved one, not to mention how it affects the family of the drunk driver.

I for one do not want to do a fundraising walk for my nephew.....like everyone else at those walks, I want to walk WITH my nephew...but that will never happen again thanks to a previously convicted drunk driver who had jsut gotten his license back and went right out to business as usual for him.

recently the Supreme court ruled on behalf of a multple convicted drunk driver that the taking of blood without a warrant is illegal search and seizure. So now your drunk driver gets to sober up a bit while your police officer is trying to obtain a warrant...Yee haw...let's all drink to THAT

so if anything, I would believe that this bill is a response to that ruling

Don't kid yourself...it's the business of DEFENDING drunk drivers that has become a huge money machine...they have conferences and associations

did you know there was a place that calls itself the National College for DUI Defense?

there's big money in keeping these murderous scumbags on the road, so any reasonalble thing that can be done to try to protect us all is good

MADD Statement Regarding NTSB Recommendations – May 14, 2013
    MADD appreciates the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) for bringing the American public’s attention to the fact that drinking and driving continues to be a major problem on our highways—killing almost 10,000 people a year—and that additional steps have to be taken to save the unnecessary loss of life and injuries that occur as a result of these crashes. Above all, MADD strongly recommends that the safest course of action is to not drink and drive.

The focus of our advocacy remains on the continued implementation of our Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving® (CEDD). It is important to note that the CEDD has been structured to maximize the number of lives saved as quickly as possible and, when fully implemented, is projected to save approximately 8,000 lives a year.

The U.S. Congress adopted the CEDD as national policy when it approved surface transportation reauthorization legislation, known as MAP-21, in 2012. Through the CEDD’s three elements of increased high visibility law enforcement, state laws requiring ignition interlocks for all convicted offenders, and research toward the development of advanced technology to prevent a drunk driver from operating a vehicle, the CEDD is leading the nation toward the elimination of drunk driving as the leading cause of highway fatalities. The CEDD also enjoys widespread support, including that of the NTSB, which in December 2012 recommended that states enact all-offender ignition interlock laws and endorsed advanced drunk driving prevention technology research.

MADD is committed to serving all victims of substance impaired driving, regardless of impairment levels. MADD’s 1-877-MADD-HELP line is available 24 hours a day, and MADD serves a victim of impaired driving every eight minutes. MADD will continue to focus our attention and resources toward the CEDD's proven drunk driving countermeasures, which does not include lowering the BAC per se level, in order to have the greatest impact on saving lives. The goal of the CEDD is to eliminate drunk driving so there are no more future victims.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.