Register
    Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Cryin'
    Last Online

08.10.13 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Beat It Live in Dallas (1984 Victory Tour)

Hey guys,

I know this has probably been discussed a million times before, but I thought it'd be good to bring it up again as I'm probably one of the very few here that counts themselves as a serious MJ fan, haha!

So we all know Eddie joined Michael and his brothers on stage in Dallas back in 1984 on their Victory tour:

I wanted to give some of my own insights as a fan that might help to make sense of a very muddled performance:

1. I've heard a lot of people make mention of Michael going, "Eddie, Eddie!" as him being vocal about when the solo is meant to come in. Well, he is BUT this is a pretty common thing that he does during live performances and in his videos; during his This Is It rehearsals (comeback 2009 tour) with guitarist Orianthi, he actually breaks down the whole song to guide her in essentially recreating Eddie's solo note for note. It's a bit fun to watch because he says to her, "give me your highest note!" and vocally recreates Eddie's signature guitar scream, haha! I'll see if I can track down the video.

2. The ending; also heard a lot of people mention that Eddie is trying to end the extended drum solo and it's embarrassing etc. I think it's just a lack of communication before the show (I don't think any of it was discussed or rehearsed, right?), because every performance I've seen of Beat It has the giant drum solo at the end as a showcase for the tour drummer. The latest incarnation of Beat It even had Michael tossing his jacket to the ground and burning it!

3. The weird ass solo AFTER Eddie's - you know the part with the tour guitarist doing the shit behind his back? I can't offer much insight because to me, it's even strange that Michael brings him out considering his brother Tito is the Jacksons' guitarist...also kind of a slap in the face to Eddie to see this guy pretty much trying to be him.

4. Michael's vocals; this is pretty good for him on tour, midway through a set. I think by this stage he's done at least two to three full on dance numbers, so for his voice to sound even this good is a milestone. He was also very up and down during this tour, as he really didn't want to be there at all. It was his last tour with his brothers.

I also have a few questions of my own which I know you guys will know way more about than I will:

- What's with Eddie's guitar at the beginning? Something about a cord?
    - Is it just me or is he tuned slightly off-key during the solo?
    - Is he playing the basic riff? I can hear him noodling between Michael's vocals during the verses which I really like.

And I just wanted to say, I have never seen such chemistry between Michael and a guitarist on stage before. Forget Slash - Eddie and Michael should've done more together. The way they were feeding off each other was great!! Ed's goofy faces and Michael's over the top antics....a match made in heaven.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.30.16 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The other guitar player was a guy named david Williams........(RIP)he was a friend of a friend and though I never met him, my pal told me he was a very nice man.....and thrilled to have played with EVH

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Cryin'
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ah yes, I thought it might've been him! I'm not totally well-versed on the personel on Michael's tours. He sounds like a good guitar player, but it just strikes me as odd that you'd bring Eddie out for his solo, and then have someone basically try to recreate it right in front of him? Like, this is EVH! On your stage! Utilise him, haha.

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

Eddie's guest appearance was just an improvised thing. Both tours happened to intersect in Dallas and I guess Eddie and Michael thought it would be kind of cool. I highly doubt they rehearsed it. People want to pick it apart for some reason.

I just wish there was a better version of it. The Youtube version lookes like a 20th generation VHS copy.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Cryin'
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh I know it was spur of the moment, I wasn't suggesting it wasn't haha! I don't see it as "picking apart"; both Eddie and Michael are my heroes so to see them on stage together is just absolutely thrilling to me. I know there are elements that can't be controlled in a love situation and that's not what I'm picking apart, I just have a thirst for knowledge about situations like this and I love to hear other people's viewpoints.

The bad transfer is a often debated topic in the MJ fandom...there have been bits and pieces of the Victory tour released in high quality on YouTube, from a fan who has selfishly kept the tapes to themselves. It's out there in good quality, but a lot of michaels archives were housed in a storage unit that unfortunately fell into somebody else's hands a while back, and I think the master tapes were in there.