08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Default WOW.. lookin back what a performance

wow..the band went for the juggler vein on this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=28SmiXTymTs
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

That was a pretty strong performance. Was that John Stewart show?
    I don't have a cool signature. Deal with it!

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Solo Dave video vs Sammy solo album news. Welcome to Main.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 11,778 Times in 6,524 Posts

Premium Member

That's called ASS KICKIN'.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 10,887 Times in 5,729 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    That's called ASS KICKIN'.
    Yeah. It makes me sad to think what could've been had Dave never left. We could have had many more years of these types of performances. Instead we got the softer, mellower Sam years.

I like the Sam era, but it doesn't hold a candle to the raw kick ass take no prisoners vibe of the Dave era.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 1,974 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Yeah. It makes me sad to think what could've been had Dave never left. We could have had many more years of these types of performances. Instead we got the softer, mellower Sam years.
    This is not quite true. In the 80s, yeah it would have been great. BUT Dave had a few rough years performance wise during the 90s. He was not on top of his game on the 94 solo tour or that big band experiment in Vegas.

Dave was almost actively "Trying out" for VH during that video above, it looks like around 2000-2ish. He got BY on guitar and was basically a VH tribute band with 99% of the set being classic VH. His vocals were improved over a few years earlier when it looked like he would need to hang it up.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lmr5150 View Post
    That was a pretty strong performance. Was that John Stewart show?
    It is from the Carson Daly show in 2002.

I was flicking channels the night it aired and was surprised to see it , then had to rush to put a VHS tape in the video machine and tape it. Missed the first part of the tune, but played the hell out of this one for a while there back then. They also played Panama at the end of the show while the credits rolled.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 05.08.13 at 10:01 AM.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

Yeah I've been pretty critical of Dave's voice since about 1996 but i'll be first to admit he sounds really good on this.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I saw dave in 94, 99 and 02.

He was terrible in 94. It was just sad. I actually felt bad for him cause he only sold like 500 tickets at Pine Knob (which was the big 'shed" at the time, it's called DTE now). the show did not go well, people threw stuff on stage and everything. it was bad.

Saw him again when he opened for Bad Company and it was a bit better but he was doing the "vh tribute band" thing he's doing here. the only thing I can say bad about that performance was it was just too damn loud. I honestly couldn't evaluate any aspect of the show cause it was just blaring. He looked better at that show and it was better recieved.

the 02 show was strange. It was Sam and Dave, 2nd show, the same night of a BIG red wings game. Dave didn't say a word to the crowd and just came out and played and he was good. Still not where I thought he could have been. I don't want to get into a Sam vs. Dave debate but the shows the 2 put on were so different it was an incredible contrast. Sam had Nugent come out and play Wildthing (ted and sam are huge in detroit). Kid rock came out, I don't think he did a song or anything but he introduced him and sam really engaged the crowd.

I'm more of a Sam fan but I'm happy Dave got to be back in VH, good for him, good for his fans. I'm glad they did ADKOT. I don't think it's as great as some do but it was great for the fans for them to finally get that out.

I don't dislike Dave at all, he's an interesting fellow.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I saw dave in 94, 99 and 02.

He was terrible in 94. It was just sad. I actually felt bad for him cause he only sold like 500 tickets at Pine Knob (which was the big 'shed" at the time, it's called DTE now). the show did not go well, people threw stuff on stage and everything. it was bad.

Saw him again when he opened for Bad Company and it was a bit better but he was doing the "vh tribute band" thing he's doing here. the only thing I can say bad about that performance was it was just too damn loud. I honestly couldn't evaluate any aspect of the show cause it was just blaring. He looked better at that show and it was better recieved.

the 02 show was strange. It was Sam and Dave, 2nd show, the same night of a BIG red wings game. Dave didn't say a word to the crowd and just came out and played and he was good. Still not where I thought he could have been. I don't want to get into a Sam vs. Dave debate but the shows the 2 put on were so different it was an incredible contrast. Sam had Nugent come out and play Wildthing (ted and sam are huge in detroit). Kid rock came out, I don't think he did a song or anything but he introduced him and sam really engaged the crowd.

I'm more of a Sam fan but I'm happy Dave got to be back in VH, good for him, good for his fans. I'm glad they did ADKOT. I don't think it's as great as some do but it was great for the fans for them to finally get that out.

I don't dislike Dave at all, he's an interesting fellow.

I went to the "Sam and Dave" show when they came here. Like you said, it was an incredible contrast. Dave opened and pretty much did the Van Halen tribute band thing which was pretty cool to me because he played some stuff I'd never heard live like Hot For Teacher and DOA. I think the only solo tune he did was Yankee Rose.

Then Sam came on and the whole vibe changed. I guess it depends on your preference, but Dave was just all attitude, kick your ass and take names, and Sam was more mellow. He also did more of his solo material, and seeing that I'm not a Sam solo fan, I got kind of bored with it. Sam is more like a guy you'd sit down and have a margarita with.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I went to the "Sam and Dave" show when they came here. Like you said, it was an incredible contrast. Dave opened and pretty much did the Van Halen tribute band thing which was pretty cool to me because he played some stuff I'd never heard live like Hot For Teacher and DOA. I think the only solo tune he did was Yankee Rose.

Then Sam came on and the whole vibe changed. I guess it depends on your preference, but Dave was just all attitude, kick your ass and take names, and Sam was more mellow. He also did more of his solo material, and seeing that I'm not a Sam solo fan, I got kind of bored with it. Sam is more like a guy you'd sit down and have a margarita with.
    I liked Sam's show better but that's just me. Sam did everything right that night, his crowd interaction was great. he really tends to connect with the Detroit crowds, he's very big here.

Dave is loved in the D as well so it's always fun when any of them come through.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I liked Sam's show better but that's just me. Sam did everything right that night, his crowd interaction was great. he really tends to connect with the Detroit crowds, he's very big here.

Dave is loved in the D as well so it's always fun when any of them come through.
    Ultimately, that's what it's about. Did you have a good time and do you feel your money was well spent when you're walking out of the venue? If you answer yes to that question, then it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

It was the opposite for me. The night I saw them Sam opened and was just incredible. He also had members from the band Boston sing background while he and Gary shared lead vocals on When Its Love. Sam's show was great.
    Then Dave came out and after the energy of the first song was over (HFT if I remember correctly), it was sad because even though Dave was up there "singing". I felt like I went to an after show party at some club and there was a VH cover band playing. Back when Sam left the band, I didn't take a side as I liked his solo work at the time and was one of the few who enjoyed VH III and liked that Ed was exploring as a musician. But I did feel let down after the MTV fiasco with Dave and that was my only negative toward the band then.

Sam's time in VH came as I was in my last couple of years in high school and as a younger (under 30) adult and I thought the music was amazing and band chemistry was stellar especially on the 5150 and OU812 tours ( I missed the FUCK tour as I was stationed in Alaska) but when I saw them twice on the Balance tour something was missing on stage. They went from looking like a band that was just having a great time to a band going through the motions.
    The III tour was highlighted because they played songs that we hadn't heard live in a very very long time and that alone made the tour worth the price of admission whether you like Gary or not.
    The '04 tour was just something I'd like to forget I even saw. Definately going through the motions and Ed's "erratic" to say the least behavior and playing was a waste of time by all the band members.
    '07 was very good as it marked Dave's return from being in the minor leagues as a wannabe rock star to being called up and batting lead off once again. That tour looked like it went through the motions but they were still getting re-aquainted and showcasing a new member.
    Most recently they seem to have a bit better stage presence together again but the old spark still isn't there completely but for guys their age I'm not sure I'd expect that anyways.

Van Halen in 2012 is better off with Dave and Sam is better off doing just what he is doing.
    Last edited by Eddymon; 05.08.13 at 01:30 PM.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Van Baron View Post
    wow..the band went for the juggler vein on this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=28SmiXTymTs
    Haven't seen this one before...very good performance, Dave sounds terrific here, he even had the scream. The hair is unfortunate, but whatever. He seems to be singing the way I think he sounds best.

Last Online

07.29.16 @ 03:28 AM
    Liked 73 Times in 22 Posts

THIS is the range DLR needs bring himself back down to. None of that high straining crap going on here. Awesome video.