Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: eBay goes nuts!

On Fire
    Last Online

06.14.16 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default eBay goes nuts!

I figured this might be a good place to post this, but if not..mods please move where desired. I know most of you guys buy and sell on ebay and I want to make you all aware.....

As most of you know, over the last year eBay has been slowly raising fees on guitars sales higher and higher. As of April 16th EBay has done the unbelievable. They have raised their fee up to 10% on the final value sale. However they have put a 250 cap on it.....Just a year ago it had a 50 dollar max cap on it. It is cheaper to sell a car on eBay than it is to sell a guitar,amp..ect. Not only does this impact the sellers but keep in mind that you as a buyer are going to pay 10 percent more than you normally would have paid. This does not include the 3 percent Paypal fee which eBay also imposes upon us. So a guitar that could be sold for say 2500 will now cost you about 2850 just to cover ebay and paypal fees.
    What can you do?
    Call ebay and complain. Copy and post to your facebooks...ect...and complain, complain and complain. If they hear enough feedback on this issue, well maybe they will do something to fix it. Thanks for the support.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Do what i did and stop using ebay. They have become the biggest piece of shit on the web. Between fees and paypal only, they can f themselves. If you're smart about it, craigslist is much easier to deal with.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.17.16 @ 10:54 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

yeah, Ebay is pure evil. What started out as a great way of selling and buying stuff has turned into a big corporate monster

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:10 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

What will happen is people will stop using it and they will go back to how it was. That, or more Ebay type sites will pop up...

Ebay tried something a few years ago which pissed a lot of people off (I cant remember what it was unfortunately) and they lost a lot of customers. It wasn't long before they went back to how it was before.

I use Ebay a fair bit. They fees are crazy. If they screw people over to much, Ebay will disappear...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:54 AM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

I remember about 2 months ago selling a guitar on sleeze bay and it sold for around a grand and the freakin fee was like 200 bucks. I was so pissed off I called them and complained to some dude who could have cared less. I ended up making 800 on a 1200 guitar..... I vowed NEVER to sell a guitar on that suck ass site again....

Rob

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.20.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 51 Times in 18 Posts

Every guitar Ive purchased or sold on ebay, I have always negotiated the deal right before auction end... If Im purchasing the guitar, I explain to the seller the fees are very high and offer less than the asking price. I purchased a les paul 2 hours away from me and drove to the guy and paid cash..he saved around $300 and so did I. same if im selling, the paypal fee I can take.. the ebay fee is BS when you get over a $1500 sale..

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:12 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Fuck ebay. I got screwed on a small purchase a while ago and they didn't want to help me. I'll never use them again. Craiglist and meet face to face, or a site like here where it's a pretty small community and everybody seems pretty trustworthy. I bought a few things from Rat, incuding my Fender Wolf, and he's a stand up guy, great prices and service. I think most of the dudes in this forum are pretty solid and I wouldn't hesitate to buy gear from any one of you.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Damn straight! I know a lot of guys use it, but I honestly have seen and heard so many horror stories, I thought it more than likely would be more hassle and potential for disappointment to use it than to just go through classifieds. Most notably, my ol' man got burned on a car deal, (some parts switched out prior to shipping, (though advertised the car came with) and a friend of mine who had been quite happy with a couple guitar/amp purchases on Ebay before but got royally screwed in the same way on a vintage Gibson.

It took a lot of back and forth with Ebay, the seller, emails to Paypal, and even getting a State business investigator involved in the city the guitar originated from. Total hassle. They are usually pretty good with reported frauds, but they had trouble with the pickup issue, and up to that point the seller had a pretty good rating.
    He understood it was buyer beware, but the guitar he received was not shipped with the original vintage pickups, or tuners, which were in the pictures. What tipped him off was the color looked quite off on the tuner pegs, so it raised a red flag. The sellers even went so far as to show the pickups flipped over showing the back and proving they were the original PAF's, but the ones when he got the guitar were repros, and the soldering job was real hacked as well. Total misrepresentation. In the end he got most of his money back.
    It would have been worse for him I'm sure had it just been an individual selling it, but it was through a supposed "reputable company" seller. If it hadn't been for the business ethics investigator getting involved and working as hard as he did, proving the key points of the guitar's discrepancies, he would have been out a shitload of money. Sure, he had to pay the guy to do the legwork, but sometimes the principle is more important.
    Cool thing is he still has the guitar, and with the settlement (because they wanted to avoid court) helped pay for some real vintage parts.
    It still kinda puts a bad mojo on whole thing. He'd lusted for one for a very long time, and the money he spent gave him the guilts to begin with. So not getting EXACTLY what you pay for.....Just plain sucks!
    Last edited by we die young; 05.08.13 at 03:34 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Fuck ebay. I got screwed on a small purchase a while ago and they didn't want to help me. I'll never use them again. Craiglist and meet face to face, or a site like here where it's a pretty small community and everybody seems pretty trustworthy. I bought a few things from Rat, incuding my Fender Wolf, and he's a stand up guy, great prices and service. I think most of the dudes in this forum are pretty solid and I wouldn't hesitate to buy gear from any one of you.
    That's a great point. Forums you frequent are a great source. I've gotten a lot of things off CL as well, but you still gotta be careful. With forums, it's much more comforting to put your trust in someone you've gotten to know somewhat, and that they share the same passion for what you're laying down money for.

Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    This does not include the 3 percent Paypal fee which eBay also imposes upon us. So a guitar that could be sold for say 2500 will now cost you about 2850 just to cover ebay and paypal fees.
    What can you do?
    They get you coming and and they get you going out.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've been trying to consolidate my guitar (and guitar parts) arsenal over the last year or so. That has meant a lot of selling on Craig's List and eBay. My common practice has been: List on Craig's List first. If, after a designated amount of time, said item hasn't sold I then put it on eBay. I used to love eBay for buying and selling. But the last two rounds of gear I sold and shipped off had me feeling completely ripped off between the eBay and PayPal fees. Yes, both are providing an established service; and they should be paid for that service. But they're really squashing the little guy. eBay is now my LAST resort for selling.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    I've been trying to consolidate my guitar (and guitar parts) arsenal over the last year or so. That has meant a lot of selling on Craig's List and eBay. My common practice has been: List on Craig's List first. If, after a designated amount of time, said item hasn't sold I then put it on eBay. I used to love eBay for buying and selling. But the last two rounds of gear I sold and shipped off had me feeling completely ripped off between the eBay and PayPal fees. Yes, both are providing an established service; and they should be paid for that service. But they're really squashing the little guy. eBay is now my LAST resort for selling.
    I've tried the Craigslist thing but always get frustrated with all the phishing scams...(is this item still for sale..ect.).
    I'm thinking a lot of ebay consumers are becoming very aware of how much money is being added for fees on purchases. My last few transactions have been taken outside of eBay at the customers request to save money. Most people I deal with still want to do it the old fashion way and overnight certified funds. eBay "makes" you add paypal and will suspend you for accepting other payments...aaaand require you to adjust your settings where only people with paypal accounts can bid. Not very fair those who arent computer savvy. I also see numberous people who I've walked through the paypal process turning out to be my best customers. So yes, there is missed opportunities going on because of eBays Nazi behavior. I'd really like to see it ran the way it used to be and for eBay to know if it weren't for us..they'd have nothing. I truly urge you all to make that phone call and copy and paste to your facebooks. With luck someone will see a opportunity to make a better auction site...

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Thanks bud! Anytime you need "anything" just ask and you shall receive!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Yep! Ebay has now adopted the same practice most other consumer service industries have: Charge the absolute maximum of what the market can bear, and only back off to the nearest percentile once business tails off.
    I have no problem with a company making a buck. I'm not anti capitalist by any stretch. I come from a family of entrepreneurs, but this version of capitalism is a compete cancer on society. The whole maximum profit, for min. outlay theory. Honestly, what they are charging now is ridiculous , considering it's the seller and buyer doing the bulk of the work, and providing the funds for movement of the goods bought and sold.

That said....Who doesn't want to make the most they can? but there's a line between providing a good service at a fair price, hopefully for the long haul, and gouging the customer so much with the attitude of "well....Let's just get the most we can out of them. If they don't like it, and don't come back, then we'll still be ahead".
    Apply that mentality to thousand of transactions a month...that be a shitload of money.
    Problem is most established service and utility companies do the very same thing. They see others outfits doing it.... people paying the sky high rates either because they have no other choice, or, as many people do, just put it on credit to "deal with it later.", then they do it to as well.
    Where the rubber hits the road, is that when everyone "only charges what the market can bear", the consumer's bottom line is obliterated.
    It doesn't seem to really hurt these big companies though....There still seems to be enough people paying the high fees to keep 'em purring along. That, and they generally pay their staff like shit...That's if they even have staff here....They're probably outsourcing to India for their data/call/finance processing anyway.
    Enough of my rant! Sorry....Just get burned up when I hear this stuff.
    Gives good honest capitalism a real bad name.
    If I treated my customers like these companies do, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I'm comfortable, and in business for the long haul. Gouging folks of their far stretched dollars is not in my mandate.