Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 1,385 Times in 760 Posts

Default My First Rifle : Kentucky boy, 5, accidentally shoots to death 2-year-old sister

A 2-year-old Kentucky girl was accidentally killed by her 5-year-old brother who fired a rifle he had been given as a gift, officials said Wednesday.

Cumberland County Coroner Gary L. White said an autopsy of Caroline Starks showed the toddler had died from a single shot from the .22-caliber rifle. The death has been ruled accidental and no charges will be filed, he said in a telephone interview with the Los Angeles Times.

Most everybody in town is pretty devastated by this, White said. Nobody wants to take anyones guns away, but youve got to keep them out of harms way for the kids. Its a safety issue.

The girl, Caroline Starks, was in her Burkesville, Ky., home when her brother fired the rifle he had been given as a birthday present about 1 p.m. Tuesday. The mother had just stepped outside the house for a moment, White said. The child was pronounced dead at Cumberland County Hospital.

The rifle used in the accident is a Crickett designed for children and sold under the slogan My First Rifle, according to the company's website. It is a smaller weapon designed for children and comes with a shoulder stock in child-like colors including pink and swirls.

The little Crickett rifle is a single-shot rifle and it has a child safety, White said. This was just a tragic accident.

The child safety lock was in place and operational, White said. Officials believe a shell had been left in the weapon from the last use and no one realized it.

In my fifteen years as coroner, this is the first such case, he said. It is very, very rare.

It is legal in Kentucky to give a child a rifle as a gift, White said. Nor is it unusual for children to have rifles, often passed down from their parents, he said.

Earlier this month, Brandon Holt, 6, was accidentally shot to death by a 4-year-old playmate in New Jersey.

"It is legal in Kentucky to give a child a rifle as a gift, White said. Nor is it unusual for children to have rifles, often passed down from their parents, he said." WTF???
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

Feel terrible for the family, but WTF???

Only in America.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:24 AM
    Liked 6,691 Times in 3,711 Posts

giving a 5 year old a rifle, what could possibly go wrong?

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 6,837 Times in 3,577 Posts

Premium Member

Default Cool! Another gun thread... I think I'll particiapte

Tragic. Wonder if the boy can ride a bike yet or count to ten.

The parents are 100% at fault. How could they not be. End of story.

But... It's the country not the city...

Ky. child shooting part of urban-rural gun debate

BURKESVILLE, Ky.As Stephanie Sparks cleaned the kitchen, her 5-year-old son, Kristian, began playing with a rifle he was given last year. She stepped out onto the front porch, poured grease out of a frying pan for the dogs and "heard the gun go off," a Kentucky coroner said.

Authorities said the boy had fatally shot his 2-year-old sister, Caroline, in the chest.

In rural southern Kentucky, far removed from the national debate over gun control, where some children get their first guns even before they start first grade, the accident stunned the community.

Kristian's rifle was kept in a corner of the mobile home, and the family didn't realize a bullet had been left in it, Cumberland County Coroner Gary White said.

"Down in Kentucky where we're from, you know, guns are passed down from generation to generation," White said. "You start at a young age with guns for hunting and everything."

What is more unusual than a child having a gun, he said, is "that a kid would get shot with it."

In this case, the rifle was made by a company that sells guns specifically for children"My first rifle" is the sloganin colors ranging from plain brown to hot pink to royal blue to multi-color swirls.

"It's a normal way of life, and it's not just rural Kentucky, it's rural Americahunting and shooting and sport fishing. It starts at an early age," Cumberland County Judge Executive John Phelps said. "There's probably not a household in this county that doesn't have a gun."

In Cumberland County, as elsewhere in Kentucky, local newspapers feature photos of children proudly displaying their kills, including turkey and deer. Even one of the latest reality shows on CMT, "Guntucky," features a family-owned gun range in Kentucky. The range, Knob Creek, says on its website that it is as a safe place for youngsters to learn about firearms and offers family memberships.

Ruby Wright, who teaches hunter safety classes in Burkesville, said children younger than 9 can sit in, but they can't get certification. She also coaches 4-H shooting sports, requiring those children to be 9 as well.

Phelps, who is much like a mayor in these parts, said it had been four or five years since there had been a shooting death in the county, which lies along the Cumberland River near the Tennessee state line.

"The whole town is heartbroken," Phelps said of Burkesville, a farming community of 1,800 about 90 miles northeast of Nashville, Tenn. "This was a total shock. This was totally unexpected."

Phelps said he knew the family well. He said the father, Chris Sparks, works as a logger at a mill and also shoes horses.

The family lives in a gray mobile home on a long, winding road, surrounded by rolling hills and farmland that's been in the family since the 1930s. Toys, including a small truck and a basketball goal, were on the front porch, but no one was home Wednesday.

There's a house across the street, but the next-closest neighbor lives over a hill.

Family friend Logan Wells said he received a frantic call telling him that the little girl was in an accident and to come quickly.

When he got to the hospital, Caroline was already dead. "She passed just when I got there," Wells said.

White said the shooting had been ruled accidental, though a police spokesman said it was unclear whether any charges will be filed.

"I think it's too early to say whether there will or won't be," Trooper Billy Gregory said.

White said the boy received the .22-caliber rifle as a gift, but it wasn't clear who gave him the gun, which is known as a Crickett.

"It's a little rifle for a kid. ... The little boy's used to shooting the little gun," White said.

The company that makes the rifle, Milton, Pa.-based Keystone Sporting Arms, has a "Kids Corner" on its website with pictures of young boys and girls at shooting ranges and on bird and deer hunts. It says the company produced 60,000 Crickett and Chipmunk rifles for kids in 2008. The smaller rifles are sold with a mount to use at a shooting range.

Keystone also makes guns for adults, but most of its products are geared toward children, including books, hats and bright orange vests.

"The goal of KSA is to instill gun safety in the minds of youth shooters and encourage them to gain the knowledge and respect that hunting and shooting activities require and deserve," the website said.

No one at the company answered the phone Wednesday.

According to the website, company founders Bill McNeal and his son Steve McNeal decided to make guns for young shooters in the mid-1990s and opened Keystone in 1996 with just four employees, producing 4,000 rifles that year. It now employs about 70 people.

It also has a long list of testimonials from parents who talk about how grateful they are to be able to go shooting with their children. All of the guns have safety locks, and some even have ones that require a key.

Police did not release the model of the rifle Kristian had.

Sharon Rengers, a longtime child advocate at Kosair Children's Hospital in Louisville, said making and marketing weapons specifically for children was "mind-boggling."

"It's like, oh, my God," she said, "we're having a big national debate whether we want to check somebody's background, but we're going to offer a 4-year-old a gun and expect something good from that?"

State Rep. Robert R. Damron, a Democrat and an outspoken gun rights advocate in Kentucky, said the problem is not guns, but the parents who do not teach gun safety and responsibility.

"Why single out firearms? Why not talk about all the other things that endanger children, too?" he said. "The Second Amendment doesn't give anybody carte blanche freedom to put children and juveniles at risk."

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/...ral-gun-debate

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,327 Times in 3,179 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    giving a 5 year old a rifle, what could possibly go wrong?
    I had to wait until I was 7

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I had to wait until I was 7
    your parents ever leave you alone with your 2 year old sister with it loaded?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:42 AM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

As weird as it is to give a 5 year old a rifle, the bigger question is why the fuck was it loaded?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    As weird as it is to give a 5 year old a rifle, the bigger question is why the fuck was it loaded?
    indeed.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

your parents ever leave you alone with your 2 year old sister with it loaded?
    No. Mainly because I'm the youngest. But I was taught at an early age about guns. And my parents trusted me. Within reason.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    No. Mainly because I'm the youngest. But I was taught at an early age about guns. And my parents trusted me. Within reason.
    this.

My issue is rarerly with the weapon, it's with the idiot using it. It would appear that in this case the person who gave the kid the weapon didn't know enough to check if it was loaded.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

this.

My issue is rarerly with the weapon, it's with the idiot using it. It would appear that in this case the person who gave the kid the weapon didn't know enough to check if it was loaded.
    Put it this way, to this day, even when I know a gun is loaded I check to see if its loaded. It's about bring taught how to use one and respect them. That sadly should be common sense.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

How'd you like to be that mother coming back into the kitchen and seeing that scene? Wow. That is living hell right there.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

unfortunately accidents with firearms happen

even my father who was very well experienced with firearms had an accident with a rifle that was a gift for my brother at Christmas one year and I still recall how shaken he was

I am familiar with Crickett rifles....they make a product that is safer for younger shooters due to the correct sizing .....that said, a loaded rifle stored in the corner with young kids in the home is never safe

such a tragedy

that 5 year old is going to have a hard time

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Children owning real guns makes no sense. You can teach them gun safety early, sure, but how can you expect a 5 year old to be perfect with it, or understand the magnitude of what it means to shoot and/or kill someone? Why not go ahead and get them started drinking and driving responsibly too?
    Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

This is tragic. Why wasn't this gun in a gun safe, or at a minimum out of reach for the 5 year old. Why is anyone keeping firearms "in the corner" with a 5 year old and 2 year old in the house?

I think 5 is a big young to begin shooting, but that's just me. I was at least 10before I was allowed to shoot, and that obviously was under supervision.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...