Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:23 PM
    Liked 6,828 Times in 3,570 Posts

Premium Member

Last pieces of One World Trade Center spire are rising

One World Trade Center emerges from the clouds in the night sky in a photo made from a passing airplane, Monday, March 11, 2013 in New York. Construction continues on the office complex going up on the site of the original World Trade Center, which was destroyed in the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. (AP Photo/Matthew Ziegler) (AP2013)

One World Trade Center already is New York's tallest building.

And when the last pieces of its spire rise to the roof -- weather permitting -- the 104-floor skyscraper that replaces the fallen twin towers will be just feet from becoming the highest in the Western Hemisphere.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says the spire pieces plus a steel beacon will then be lifted at a later date from the rooftop to cap the building at 1,776 feet.

Installation of the 800-ton, 408-foot spire began in December, after 18 pieces were shipped from Canada and New Jersey.

The spire will serve as a world-class broadcast antenna.

With the beacon at its peak to ward off aircraft, the spire will provide public transmission services for television and radio broadcast channels that were destroyed on Sept. 11, 2001, along with the trade center towers.

Overlooking the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, the high-rise is scheduled to open for business in 2014.

The tower is at the northwest corner of the site, which is well on its way to reconstruction with the 72-story 4 World Trade Center and other buildings.

Monday's celebration of the reconstructed trade center comes days after a grisly reminder of the terror attack that took nearly 3,000 lives: the discovery of a rusted piece of airplane landing gear wedged between a nearby mosque and an apartment building -- believed to be from one of the hijacked planes that ravaged lower Manhattan.

As officials prepared to erect the spire, the office of the city's chief medical examiner was working in the hidden alley where debris may still contain human remains.

The new tower's crowning spire is a joint venture between the ADF Group Inc. engineering firm in Terrebonne, Quebec, and New York-based DCM Erectors Inc., a steel contractor.

The world's tallest building, topping 2,700 feet, is in Dubai.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/29...ire-installed/

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:16 AM
    Liked 741 Times in 408 Posts

Premium Member

I'd love to see a thorough documentary on the making of this building. I've seen snippets here and there - but something detailed. I understand it to be an absolute technical marvel - and I love looking at artictecture.

My only fear is someone will try to use the info for an attack / other devious reasons.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Last Online

Premium Member

NJ teen sneaks to top of 1 World Trade Center

EDIT: These photos are NOT from the 1WTC incident.

NEW YORK - A 16-year-old New Jersey boy described as a thrill-seeker bypassed an inattentive security guard in the middle of the night and climbed a ladder to the spire of 1 World Trade Center, where he apparently took pictures, authorities said Thursday.

Justin Casquejo was arrested at 6 a.m. Sunday at the nation's tallest building and was charged with misdemeanor criminal trespass, police said. Nobody answered the door Thursday at his Weehawken, N.J., home.

According to a criminal complaint, Casquejo was quoted as telling police: "I walked around the construction site and figured out how to access the Freedom Tower rooftop. I found a way up through the scaffolding, climbed onto the 6th floor, and took the elevator up to the 88th floor. I then took the staircase up to 104th [floor]. I went to the rooftop and climbed the ladder all the way to the antenna."

Casquejo was arrested on the premises, and his camera and cellphone were seized after authorities obtained a search warrant, said Joe Pentangelo, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police department. The Port Authority owns the trade center site.

According to court papers, Casquejo was released without bail after being arraigned early Monday on one count of third-degree criminal trespass and one count of trespass. His lawyer didn't immediately return a phone call Thursday seeking comment. Casquejo's next court date was scheduled for April 2.

Casquejo got onto the construction site of the nearly completed tower through a 1-foot opening in a fence and eluded an inattentive security guard on the 104th floor, Pentangelo said. The guard, who worked for a contractor, not the Port Authority, has been fired, the spokesman said.

The criminal trespass charge is a misdemeanor punishable by up to three months in jail. The simple trespass is a violation punishable by up to 15 days in jail.

The criminal complaint said Casquejo was observed inside the tower beyond numerous posted signs that stated: "Do not enter. No trespassing. Violators will be prosecuted."

"The defendant knowingly entered and remained unlawfully in a building and upon real property which was fenced and otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders," the court papers said.

Patrick Flores, 18, who grew up with Casquejo and lives in the same apartment building as him, described his friend as "a really good kid" who has always been highly interested in adventure.

"He was always the one climbing the cliffs, doing something stupid," Flores said. "But that was him, that was his life.... I've seen him fall and hit his head and get up and walk away like it was nothing."

"We take security and these types of infractions very seriously and will prosecute violators," Joe Dunne, chief security officer for the Port Authority, said in a statement. "We continue to reassess our security posture at the site and are constantly working to make this site as secure as possible."

The tower is scheduled to open later this year.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-jers...took-pictures/
    Last edited by Number 47; 03.21.14 at 05:49 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Tomfoolery! Shenanigans! Weehawken youth!

Last Online

Premium Member

11:27 am: This post has been updated throughout.

One World Trade Center has a security system estimated back in 2008 to cost at least $20 million (a figure that has since doubled to $40 million) -- "a state-of-the-art integrated security system that includes closed-circuit television, coupled with video analytics to detect abnormal situations; digital recorders; access control systems; provisions for chemical, biological and radiation detection; a fiber-optic backbone and network; and related electrical infrastructure."

All that hardware, though, doesn't mean much if the guard on duty is sleeping, which, the guard on duty apparently was early Sunday morning when 16-year-old Justin Casquejo of Weehawken, New Jersey slipped past him.

Around 4:10 a.m., according to Port Authority Police Spokesperson Joe Pentangelo, Casquejo "climbed through a one foot square opening, which is in the exterior construction fence surrounding the World Trade Center. He is able to enter undetected by climbing scaffolding.

"Somehow he is able to gain access to the interior of the building, and he encounters a security guard on the 104th floor." The security guard, Pentangelo says delicately, "has been characterized as inattentive during this incident." He was fired.

Casquejo was in One World Trade Center for almost two hours before he was arrested by Port Authority Police at 6 a.m. According to the criminal complaint, Casquejo told the arresting officer he climbed all the way to the antenna before they caught up with him. The officers seized both Casquejo's camera and a cell phone.

...Which means this Instagram, that at least one user credited to Casquejo this morning, was very likely not taken by him. (Additionally, there does not appear to be any link between that Instagram account and Casquejo's Twitter, and the photo also looks suspiciously similar to one grabbed from Time Magazine's gigapan.)

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnin...ade_center.php

Last Online

Premium Member

I doubt we'll ever see any actual photo's the lad may have taken.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    NJ teen sneaks to top of 1 World Trade Center

EDIT: These photos are NOT from the 1WTC incident.

NEW YORK - A 16-year-old New Jersey boy described as a thrill-seeker bypassed an inattentive security guard in the middle of the night and climbed a ladder to the spire of 1 World Trade Center, where he apparently took pictures, authorities said Thursday.

Justin Casquejo was arrested at 6 a.m. Sunday at the nation's tallest building and was charged with misdemeanor criminal trespass, police said. Nobody answered the door Thursday at his Weehawken, N.J., home.

According to a criminal complaint, Casquejo was quoted as telling police: "I walked around the construction site and figured out how to access the Freedom Tower rooftop. I found a way up through the scaffolding, climbed onto the 6th floor, and took the elevator up to the 88th floor. I then took the staircase up to 104th [floor]. I went to the rooftop and climbed the ladder all the way to the antenna."

Casquejo was arrested on the premises, and his camera and cellphone were seized after authorities obtained a search warrant, said Joe Pentangelo, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police department. The Port Authority owns the trade center site.

According to court papers, Casquejo was released without bail after being arraigned early Monday on one count of third-degree criminal trespass and one count of trespass. His lawyer didn't immediately return a phone call Thursday seeking comment. Casquejo's next court date was scheduled for April 2.

Casquejo got onto the construction site of the nearly completed tower through a 1-foot opening in a fence and eluded an inattentive security guard on the 104th floor, Pentangelo said. The guard, who worked for a contractor, not the Port Authority, has been fired, the spokesman said.

The criminal trespass charge is a misdemeanor punishable by up to three months in jail. The simple trespass is a violation punishable by up to 15 days in jail.

The criminal complaint said Casquejo was observed inside the tower beyond numerous posted signs that stated: "Do not enter. No trespassing. Violators will be prosecuted."

"The defendant knowingly entered and remained unlawfully in a building and upon real property which was fenced and otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders," the court papers said.

Patrick Flores, 18, who grew up with Casquejo and lives in the same apartment building as him, described his friend as "a really good kid" who has always been highly interested in adventure.

"He was always the one climbing the cliffs, doing something stupid," Flores said. "But that was him, that was his life.... I've seen him fall and hit his head and get up and walk away like it was nothing."

"We take security and these types of infractions very seriously and will prosecute violators," Joe Dunne, chief security officer for the Port Authority, said in a statement. "We continue to reassess our security posture at the site and are constantly working to make this site as secure as possible."

The tower is scheduled to open later this year.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-jers...took-pictures/

Well that's good...the building has barely been up a year and an 18 yr old punk has already found a way to bypass security and climb to the top of it......

Like....HELLLLOOOOOO?!?!?
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Well that's good...the building has barely been up a year and an 18 yr old punk has already found a way to bypass security and climb to the top of it......

He doesn't sound like a punk.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 18,128 Times in 8,952 Posts

He isn't a punk, he's a kid.

I climbed onto water towers and junk as a kid, he's harmless.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

I don't know....sounds like he walked past Barney Fife in a sugar coma from too many jelly donuts LOL

the kid is hardly a Dhokhar Tsarnaev type

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:19 PM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

That kid probably has some neat 'stories' to tell . Quite an adventurer !
    I think that security problems/concerns aren't directed at him specifically , but moreso the ramifications of his excursion to the NYC building .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    He isn't a punk, he's a kid.

I climbed onto water towers and junk as a kid, he's harmless.
    My point was that knowing WHY that building is being built you'd think security would kind of be a tad bit tighter. Wasnt directed at the kid. He's harmless.

If an 18 year old kid could do it, it could have easily been someone else with different intentions.
    Last edited by MF5150; 03.21.14 at 11:24 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

My point was that knowing WHY that building is being built you'd think security would kind of be a tad bit tighter. Wasnt directed at the kid. He's harmless.

If an 18 year old kid could do it, it could have easily been someone else with different intentions.
    Exactly . I've climbed water towers etc. as a kid too . This was long before the real threat of terrorism on home soil . NYC has long been a target , lest we forget . If a teenager could make his way to the the top of that tower ... Scary though , in a way .

The next 'harmless' teen could be a scout or insider . Sort of a "drug mule" for someone else with hostile intentions . It's not that far-fetched .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Exactly.

Climbing a water tower and being able to bypass security to climb the building that is replacing the two buildings that collapsed as a result of two terrorist hijacked airplanes crashing into them is about as completely different as it gets.

Can't really understand how the fuck this happens in THAT building. Mind boggling to me actually.

"a state-of-the-art integrated security system that includes closed-circuit television, coupled with video analytics to detect abnormal situations...

Thats awesome....doesn't really make a difference though if the guard who's supposed to be watching the monitors is too busy watching Honey Boo Boo on his phone.
    Last edited by MF5150; 03.21.14 at 12:20 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

^^^ Totally agree with you . The World Trade Center was a symbol of Western values and tradition . It was also targeted for attack on various occasions , the final one being a modern day Pearl Harbor . I'd think that the location would be as highly guarded as Ft. Knox or Area 51 .

Just look at the beautiful new building that stands at ground zero . Does anyone think that some wacko sect/cult/religion aren't plotting ways to bring it down - right now ? Just as sure as God made little green apples - yes they are . IMO .