Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Country singer George Jones dies at 81

Country singer George Jones, who awed listeners with his ability to immerse himself in his songs and compelled them to do the same, has died. He was 81 years old.

Jones was a revelation in the country music culture – equal parts vocal phenom and bad boy – whose drinking and impulsiveness made him just as legendary as his performances.

Jones enjoyed his first No. 1 hit, White Lightning, in 1959 and had racked up 150 more chart-topping songs since then. He did it in duets and as a solo artist.

He Stopped Loving Her Today was his most famous song and arguably the most famous country song of all time. The song reeked of sorrow and loss and a strong tinge of believability both because listeners could relate to it and because it was reflective of the singer's personal life.

"If we all could sound the way we wanted, we'd all sound like George Jones," said singer Waylon Jennings in a tribute song to Jones.

Praise like that came from people all over the entertainment spectrum, and Jones had the undying adoration of fans and contemporaries.

"We've lost a country music legend," singer Blake Shelton tweeted when news of his death broke Friday. "And I've lost a hero and a friend. Goodbye, George Jones."

His career has earned him the highest awards an entertainer can achieve. Then-President George W. Bush awarded Jones the National Medal of Arts in 2002. He also earned a Lifetime Achievement Grammy, a salute from the Kennedy Center and was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1992.

He earned one of his most infamous nicknames, "No Show," because he missed numerous performances due to alcohol addiction during one period of his career.

Tales of the lengths he went through to acquire and abuse alcohol or cocaine would have been unbelievable had they not been true.

He admitted to going on a two-week binge while married to his second wife, Shirley Conley. In desperation, he drove a 10-horsepower riding lawn mower eight miles to buy liquor after his wife took the keys to their cars when she left the house.

The stunt boosted his status as a hard-drinking crooner and drew song parodies from his contemporaries for several years afterward.

"I never had anything as a kid, and all of a sudden I had everything thrown at my feet," Jones said in a 1996 autobiography. "It can ruin you quickly,"

Aside from his wild lifestyle, Jones's most famous association was with Tammy Wynette. The pairing played both behind the microphone and in real life.

Jones married Wynette, the third of his four wives, in 1969 and they remained wed until 1974. They recorded several top hits while they were together and continued recording No. 1 duets for years after they ended their marriage.

The couple had one daughter together, Tamala Georgette, who forged a music career of her own and sometimes performed on stage with her father.

Jones divorced his first wife, Dorothy Bonvillion, after less than a year, and the two had one daughter. Jones and his second wife had two sons together.

He had been married to Nancy Sepulvado since 1983 and credited her with helping him kick his addictions.

George Glenn Jones was born Sept. 12, 1931 in Saratoga, TX and grew up in nearby Beaumont.

His early exposure to country music through radio broadcasts of the Grand Ole Opry sparked his desire to sing, and he left home at 14 to cut his teeth on the honky-tonk circuit.

His career took off in 1956 when Billboard named him the "Most Promising New Country Vocalist." From there he went on to record hits for multiple labels.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:49 PM
    Liked 6,832 Times in 3,574 Posts

Premium Member

Sadness. My Dad turned me on to George and Tammy when I was just a kid. One of the greats. The only album of his I have is I Lived to Tell It All from 1996, so I'll put that one on after work to remember the man.

Keep an eye out for old possum Daddy... he's coming your way.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Always enjoyed him RIP
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I believe he was still in the midst of his farewell tour, so that is one hell of a no show, George!

A true legend. Rest In Peace, Mr. Jones.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

A wonder he lasted as long as he did with all the damage he did to himself over the years. Often copied, never duplicated.

RIP
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

RIP George
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:13 AM
    Liked 7,853 Times in 4,586 Posts

Premium Member

So long Rolls Royce!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

RIP...
    Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I thought he was a goner a few years back when he wrecked his car into an overpass or something like that and I think he was drunk then. RIP George. Enjoy the "White Ligtnin" in the sky.

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Cold Hard Truth was the last decent album release. A tune called "When The Last Curtain Falls" is the best cut.

Video clip of Jones wired up and drunk being arrested back in the day

Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

maybe he's just playing possum

RIP

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Summer Nights
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 91 Times in 38 Posts

I had tickets to see him 8/2 at the Ohio State Fair. My aunt used to play him around the house, it wasn't until I was older that I gained an appreciation of George and the classic country icons. I missed Johnny and Waylon. I saw Willie in 2010 and Merle and Kris Kristofferson last summer. This summer was going to be George.

Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:20 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

Default Music City mourns country legend George Jones

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Thousands of fans are expected to join some of country music's biggest stars in mourning George Jones.
    The late country music superstar's funeral will be held Thursday morning at the Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville, Tenn. Jones died last week at 81.
    Former first lady Laura Bush will speak at the funeral along with friends and fellow country stars Barbara Mandrell and Kenny Chesney. Jones also will be serenaded by Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson, Tanya Tucker, Wynonna Judd, Charlie Daniels and Randy Travis, who were all scheduled perform at the public memorial with several others.
    The funeral will be broadcast live on cable music television channels CMT and GAC and — in a nod to simpler times when Jones was at his biggest — on all local television networks.
    He was in the midst of a farewell tour that was to have wrapped up with an all-star salute in November in Nashville. He postponed two performances two weeks ago and entered the hospital with a fever and irregular blood pressure. He'd been ill off and on over the previous year.
    Jones' pure, matchless baritone defined the sound of country music for a half century and his death brought universal reaction from the music community and fans. Known for hits like "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes," ''White Lightning" and "He Stopped Loving Her Today," widely acknowledged as the greatest country song, Jones had No. 1s in four decades from the 1950s to the 1980s and "Possum" remained a popular figure in Music City until his death.
    Once married to Tammy Wynette, he was the living embodiment of the words "country music star" at the height of his career and continues to have broad influence on the genre, especially with artists who prefer traditional country to today's pop- and rock-influenced sounds.
    Jones also had his troubles as he battled substance abuse and money troubles, but always seemed to slide by with his sense of humor and knowing grin intact.
    He won a Grammy and two consecutive Country Music Association song of the year awards for "He Stopped Loving Her Today," and was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1992. He was among the artists honored in Washington at the Kennedy Center in 2008.
    The Beaumont, Texas, native had been a member of the Grand Ole Opry since 1956, which makes the setting of Thursday's ceremony all the more fitting. The Opry House holds more than 4,000 people and was expected to be filled beyond capacity.

http://music.yahoo.com/news/music-ci...092652443.html
    My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weesfreewheelin View Post
    Video clip of Jones wired up and drunk being arrested back in the day

I always thought that video was hilarious! It's like something straight out of Dukes of Hazzard.

I have always heard a story that George got a DUI on a lawnmower because they had taken his keys away so he couldn't drive to the bar.