Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Mayor Bloomberg: Interpretation of Constitution Must Change to Increase Security

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg believes that the Boston Marathon bombings have created a unique scenario -- one in which traditional interpretations of the U.S. Constitution must change. Rather than shying away from cameras and other security mechanisms that some view as infringements upon individual privacy, the politician claims that the most recent attack calls for a new paradigm.

As for those who fear government intrusion and express serious concerns about how these technologies and other policies could impede privacy, Bloomberg is sympathetic -- but only to a point.

"The people who are worried about privacy have a legitimate worry, but we live in a complex world where you're going to have to have a level of security greater than you did back in the olden days, if you will," Bloomberg said during a press conference on Monday. "And our laws and our interpretation of the Constitution, I think, have to change."

He went on to note that we live in a dangerous world and that there are some who wish to take away Americans' freedoms, the Observer's Politicker reports. But in order to protect these sentiments, Bloomberg argued that more intensive security is necessary.

"We have to understand that in the world going forward, we're going to have more cameras and that kind of stuff. That's good in some sense, but it's different from what we are used to," he continued.

As the Observer's Politicker notes, Bloomberg also invoked gun control while making his point about the Constitution and security. In connecting what he said is the Supreme Court's recognition that there are some interpretations of the Second Amendment that give way to "reasonable gun laws," the mayor said that the nation will also need to "live with reasonable levels of security."

Bloomberg went on to argue that the Boston attack should not be used to go after specific religious groups. And he heralded the importance of striking a balance between enjoying personal freedom and ensuring security.

"What we cant do is let the protection get in the way of us enjoying our freedoms. You still want to let people practice their religion, no matter what that religion is," he said. "And I think one of the great dangers here is going and categorizing anybody from one religion as a terrorist. That's not true...That would let the terrorists win. That's what they want us to do."

N.Y. Mayor Michael Bloomberg: Constitution ‘must change’ to give government more power
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...on-must-chang/
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

(AP) — New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg is stepping up his gun control campaign by asking donors not to support four Democratic senators who opposed a bill to expand background checks.

Bloomberg's made the request in a letter to about 1,100 New York City residents. It comes as a mayor's group that he co-founded plans a national bus tour aimed at getting senators who voted against the proposed legislation in April to change their minds.

The tour leaves Friday from Newtown, Conn., where a gunman six months ago killed 20 children and six adults at an elementary school.

Erica Lafferty, whose mother was the principal of the school and was among those killed, vowed to keep up the pressure as well. She spoke to reporters Wednesday on a conference call.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

He's still in office, right? What the hell business does he have anywhere else other than New York City, unless there's a mayors convention or something. Or am I reading that wrong and he's not actually going to be on the tour?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    He went on to note that we live in a dangerous world and that there are some who wish to take away Americans' freedoms, the Observer's Politicker reports. But in order to protect these sentiments, Bloomberg argued that more intensive security is necessary.
    The fact that he doesn't see the irony in that argument is sad.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:12 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    The fact that he doesn't see the irony in that argument is sad.
    Bloomberg is a very stupid man.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:17 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post

He's actually likely a fucking genius. I wish I was stupid like that, the kind of stupid that creates a worldwide empire in financial markets and makes my net worth about 30 billion dollars.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 11,778 Times in 6,524 Posts

Premium Member

No, he only seems stupid. He's actually a dangerous man who knows exactly what he's doing and who he's doing it for.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    He's actually likely a fucking genius. I wish I was stupid like that, the kind of stupid that creates a worldwide empire in financial markets and makes my net worth about 30 billion dollars.
    Being smart or good in one area doesn't make you a real genius. MJ was great on the court and made lots of money, but would you want him running your team?

Maybe it would make more sense for me to say he is being stupid about this.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    No, he only seems stupid. He's actually a dangerous man who knows exactly what he's doing and who he's doing it for.
    That's a good point.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Being smart or good in one area doesn't make you a real genius. MJ was great on the court and made lots of money, but would you want him running your team?

Maybe it would make more sense for me to say he is being stupid about this.
    Or how bout "I disgaree with him about this because ...." There seems to be a real issue i noticed in American politics I noticed. It's never enough to say "I disagree with your position because of these reasons" It's always "he's an idiot". Usually that's thrown out there by people who can't make a good argument against what someone says. Bloomberg isn't an idiot. Idiots don't create companies with billions of dollars of annual revenue. Most people here couldn't understand how to use a Bloomberg terminal never mind be the kind of genius that creates it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:16 AM
    Liked 7,881 Times in 4,607 Posts

Premium Member

You can be a genius and an idiot at the same time. I don't see a problem in calling that out.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    You can be a genius and an idiot at the same time. I don't see a problem in calling that out.
    actually you can't. You're either really smart or you're really stupid. You can be really smart and say something really stupid but that makes the statement stupid and not the person. And in this case he didn't say something stupid, he didn't just say "the Clippers have a better history than the Lakers". He has a political opinion that some of you disagree with.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Or how bout "I disgaree with him about this because ...." There seems to be a real issue i noticed in American politics I noticed. It's never enough to say "I disagree with your position because of these reasons" It's always "he's an idiot". Usually that's thrown out there by people who can't make a good argument against what someone says. Bloomberg isn't an idiot. Idiots don't create companies with billions of dollars of annual revenue. Most people here couldn't understand how to use a Bloomberg terminal never mind be the kind of genius that creates it.
    Or how being smart in one area doesn't make you smart or a "genius" in another area. Would you want this "genius" fixing your car?

Just an example.

That yuppie old punk wants to take more and more power from people.

I think you will find that a lot of people on both sides with disagree with him. He is tyrant.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Or how being smart in one area doesn't make you smart or a "genius" in another area. Would you want this "genius" fixing your car?

Just an example.

That yuppie old punk wants to take more and more power from people.

I think you will find that a lot of people on both sides with disagree with him. He is tyrant.
    no, because he's not a fucking mechanic. That doesn't him stupid, it just makes him not a mechanic.

"yuppie old punk" - and you're calling him an idiot?

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

no, because he's not a fucking mechanic. That doesn't him stupid, it just makes him not a mechanic.

"yuppie old punk" - and you're calling him an idiot?
    That's right.

Yes, he is a rich man... He has created a lot of wealth in his life. But that doesn't mean that he is a genius politician.

He was a yuppie and now he is an old punk. Better?
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 06.12.13 at 06:49 PM.