Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:37 AM
    Liked 11,790 Times in 6,535 Posts

Premium Member

Default Reuters: German Chancellor Says EU Nations Must Be Prepared to Cede Sovereignty

By Noah Barkin

BERLIN, April 22 | Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:14am EDT

BERLIN, April 22 (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Monday that euro zone members must be prepared to cede control over certain policy domains to European institutions if the bloc is truly to overcome its debt crisis and win back foreign investors.

Speaking at an event hosted by Deutsche Bank in Berlin alongside Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk, Merkel also defended her approach to the crisis against critics who argue she has put too much emphasis on austerity, saying Europe must find a way to deliver both growth and solid finances.

The comments came two months before European leaders are due to gather in Brussels to discuss moving towards a so-called "fiscal union".

Expectations are low, in part because an easing of the crisis has reduced pressure on leaders to produce a big leap forward in integration, but also due to differences between Germany and its partners, notably France, over the next steps.

"We seem to find common solutions when we are staring over the abyss," Merkel said. "But as soon as the pressure eases, people say they want to go their own way.

"We need to be ready to accept that Europe has the last word in certain areas. Otherwise we won't be able to continue to build Europe," she added.

Tusk said it would be "dangerous" if other countries in Europe felt Germany was imposing its own economic model across the entire bloc.

But Merkel denied that, saying Europe was made up of different cultures and economies with different strengths. The key she said, was for Europe to orient itself towards best practices.

That meant Germany accepting a single market for services, a common labour market and more compatible social security systems, so that Europeans could move from one state to the other without worrying about their pensions.

"We don't always need to give up national practices but we need to be compatible," Merkel said. "It is chaos right now."

"We need to be prepared to break with the past in order to leap forward. I'm ready to do this," she said.

Introducing Merkel and Tusk, Deutsche Bank co-CEO Anshu Jain praised the German leader and the European Central Bank for their efforts to calm the crisis.

"Now, as I travel through Europe and the U.S., even the most sceptical investors recognise that the future of the euro zone is no longer under serious threat. And that is a very good thing," Jain said.

But Tusk acknowledged that the crisis had taken its toll on public opinion in Poland, where he said a majority of the population had doubts about adopting the euro.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...AS20130422this
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 18,196 Times in 8,990 Posts

A German chancellor saying this will go over like a lead ballon.

Europe is going to at some point make a decision, a national Europe or not a national Europe. I think they are proving that you can't do it half way.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Very cunning are the Germans! They might not have been able to take over Europe via aggressive means, but they're definitely making in-roads with their fiscal policy, whilst their European neighbours cower in the face of Germanic economic power. The French like to think they have some clout - but, quite honestly, they're minnows by comparison.

We're fortunate in the UK in that we distanced ourselves from the EU, primarily by not adopting the Euro as our currency - so the Germans' power is limited where we're concerned. Having said that, you can't afford to turn your back on 'em for a minute!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default Thatcher warned that the Euro would end European democracy

How right she was

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I can see both sides of the argument here, but things have gone badly awry.

The concept of Europe as a trading block, with no import/export restrictions and freedom of movement of labour is a great concept, and I still support it wholeheartedly.

This rush into monetary and political integration is doomed to fail. It cannot and will not work. Differing cultures is only the tip of the iceberg. Whole national systems would have to be broken down and rebuilt and a process as big as this would take decades and, even then, would just not be acceptable to most. You can't control such a diverse landmass of over 400 million, not to mention the languages, cultures, ideologies etc, in this way.

I can sympathise with the Germans - I live in Germany - and I understand the frustrations that many here feel. Germany is a producing nation. It has one of the lowest levels of personal debt in the first world. Put simply, Germans do not understand how people can live by spending more than they earn, and most of them are mightily pissed off that they feel they are paying for the bad management of others. Saying that, they do not want to the Euro to fail. Nor do they want to be it's leader; the thought frightens most that I speak to.

I do not like this push towards a Euro superstate. Too many different countries joined the club in too short a space of time. To try to find an economic and political common ground between say Germany, France - very powerful, modern economies - and, for example, Spain or Portugal - until only thirty years ago, agriculturally based economies just coming out of dictatorship rule, is laughable.

Post world war two, a process of integration was started to ensure that inter-dependence meant that another horror like that never happened again in Western Europe. Seventy years on, that goal is still holding, but if this project falls apart through too much pressure to integrate further, old rivalries will emerge. Far right and Fascist parties are gaining ground all the time in some countries. This does not bode well for the future.

I wish they would just keep it as a trading block. Rant over.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default Federal Europe will be 'a reality in a few years', says Jose Manuel Barroso

A fully fledged federal Europe may seem like "political science fiction" today but will soon become reality for all European Union countries whether inside or outside the euro, Jose Manuel Barroso has said.

The president of the European Commission has fanned the flames of British debate over EU membership by insisting that fiscal union in the eurozone will lead to "intensified political union" for all 27 member states.

"This is about the economic and monetary union but for the EU as a whole," he said.

"The commission will, therefore, set out its views and explicit ideas for treaty change in order for them to be debated before the European elections."

"We want to put all the elements on the table, in a clear and consistent way, even if some of them may sound like political science fiction today. They will be reality in a few years' time."

Mr Barroso's announcement that he will set out plans for a European federation next spring, before elections to the European Parliament in May 2014, will further deepen Conservative divisions over the EU.

The intervention will add weight to the argument made by Lord Lawson, and other anti-EU Tories, that it is pointless to try and improve Britain's membership terms when the dynamic, set by the eurozone, is towards a fully-fledged federal Europe.

The commission president's argument is that as the eurozone adopts federalist structures on fiscal and economic policy, supported by Britain as necessary for financial stability, there will also be a need for political structures that will fundamentally change the way the EU works.

"Further economic integration would transcend the limits of the intergovernmental method of running the EU and the eurozone in particular," Mr Barroso said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...l-Barroso.html

Eruption
    Last Online

10.31.17 @ 07:54 AM
    Liked 144 Times in 100 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    How right she was

Love the debate culture and sense of humor in that short vid.

But: the main point is not that the Euro would end European democracy, but rather, as Maggie says herself: the single currency would cut political power of GB over monetary and fiscal issues. It's all about the fear of diminishing political power, not fear of diminishing democracy.

Has Germany profitted from the Euro? But of course. Have the current countries in grave trouble, such as Spain, Portugal or Greece, profitted from the Euro? You betcha.

Now I do not agree with everything our government does, but Germany is blamed for trying to take over Europe economically, since they haven't managed to do that in wars in the past. That's BS. There's quite some jealousy, as well as lots of patriotism mixed in there, trying to push blame away from self-inflicted troubles.

About the future of Europe? You never know. Most European countries themselves developed from less homogenic groups, be it Germany, France, Spain, Italy, as well as the UK. All grew sfrom smaller entities to the countries they are now and are pretty much seen as one country with one identity and one culture (whereas I am sure everybody could count tons of regional differences inside their own country). If you go back into history, today's nations would have seemed like science fiction to history's rulers or politicians.